GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the 12 volt powerport in my left fairing pocket ever since I purchased my '03 Wing in July of '02. I've always used it to run my cell phone or ipod chargers. The question I have is simple, the little rubber cover on the powerport states that it has a 20 amp rating, could I use this to power my Gerbings heated jacket liner and gloves? I know the rating is more than enough for the heated clothing, but I didn't think the wiring looked capable of handling that kind of load when I installed it. :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
Are you sure that is the correct rubber plug.....may have been replaced at some time or another......or......it is not a Honda Powerport.

If I recall correctly......the wiring for the power port in the fairing pocket is only good for 5 amps.

RRP

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, I purchased and installed the powerport myself from my dealer when the bike was new, it came in that nice black and red packaging that Honda uses and it's molded right into the rubber cap "20 amp max"

5 amps sounds more like what it should be rated at given the wiring up to it, just wanted to check with people here on the board before I did something stupid since it's not independently fused. :shock:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
It is 5amps and you don't want to run GERBINGS clothing from it. I recommend that you wire the GERBINGS connector directly to the battery. That connecter can then double as a connector for your trickle charger or air pump (with the proper adapter).

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
That aux 12 volt is a FIVE amp circuit. I checked on my "06. Hooked a meter to it and pulled the 5 amp acc. fuse. Yep. That was it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replys guys.........

I had the battery adapter lead, but misplaced it when I put a new battery in this spring. I have the cigerette lighter adapter for when I use the heated jacket in my truck so that I don't have to wait for it to warm up (enough for heat anyway) before I leave for work in winter. Guess I'll just get a replacement battery adapter lead from Gerbings. :roll:

·
Registered
337 Posts
g2rich said:
Nope, I purchased and installed the powerport myself from my dealer when the bike was new, it came in that nice black and red packaging that Honda uses and it's molded right into the rubber cap "20 amp max"

5 amps sounds more like what it should be rated at given the wiring up to it, just wanted to check with people here on the board before I did something stupid since it's not independently fused. :shock:
Kinda strange that Honda would sell this power port with 20 Amps on the cover when the circuit is only good for 5 amps. Should not do any harm.....the fuse should blow before then.......would make it much better though if the cover stated "5 Amps Max".

RRP

G

·
rrp0968 said:
g2rich said:

Kinda strange that Honda would sell this power port with 20 Amps on the cover when the circuit is only good for 5 amps. Should not do any harm.....the fuse should blow before then.......would make it much better though if the cover stated "5 Amps Max".

RRP
RRP:

You aren't trying to be logical here are you? :lol: :lol:

That is about as stupid as having a duplex outlet plug in your house labeled 30 AMPS Max when it is wired to a 15 AMP breaker.

What were they thinking about? Shame on you Mother H.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Rich, why not cable it to your power strip, instead of tieing up your power port?

You've seen mine? I just leave a short pigtail protruding out between the seat and top shelf - right where you need it to be. Controller is draped over the key fob. When not using it the controller goes into the trunk and the pigtail lays off to the side, not bothering anything.

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
rrp0968 said:
g2rich said:

RRP
The lighter socket assembly is rated for 20 amps which means it can easily stand the 5 amp rating of the circuit it is wired to. Your 110 volt outlets in your house are rated for 20 amps even thoough they are wired and fused for 15 amps. Nothing wrong with having the current carrying device with a higher rating than necessary.

·
Registered
337 Posts
W7AX said:
rrp0968 said:
g2rich said:

RRP
The lighter socket assembly is rated for 20 amps which means it can easily stand the 5 amp rating of the circuit it is wired to. Your 110 volt outlets in your house are rated for 20 amps even thoough they are wired and fused for 15 amps. Nothing wrong with having the current carrying device with a higher rating than necessary.
I disagree......the first thing that will happen is someone that does not know any better will try to power heated clothing or some other high load device from this circuit. If Honda is selling this for the GL1800......for the left fairing......it should be labeled for the weakest link in the system.......the wiring.

RRP

·
Registered
74 Posts
:agree:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts