GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere, I believe on another forum, that someone was running a 175/60-16 Goodyear Fuel Max on the rear. It's not a run flat, so I'm not so concerned about that specific tire as much as I'm curious about that size. Would running a narrower tire give the bike a more MT feel, while retaining the benefits of a RF car tire? The other thing I'm seeing is that tire would also be shorter, so maybe 175/70-16. That should correct the speedo and maintain stock height or close to it. What do you think?

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
A friend of mine is using that tire on his 1500 Wing and likes it. I have never used it so I can't comment on it.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
I've been using a 175/60R16 for several years. In my opinion it 'feels' more like a mc tire in that I don't feel the sideways 'push' in the truck tracks at some intersections. My first CT was a 195/55 but was soon shown a 175/60 by a friend at a Darkside get-together. I'll NEVER have another mc tire on the rear of my GL1800.
This is the tire I use: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Winter+Sport+3D+DSST+RunOnFlat&partnum=76HR6WS3DXLROF&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,503 Posts
I've been using a 175/60R16 for several years. In my opinion it 'feels' more like a mc tire in that I don't feel the sideways 'push' in the truck tracks at some intersections. My first CT was a 195/55 but was soon shown a 175/60 by a friend at a Darkside get-together. I'll NEVER have another mc tire on the rear of my GL1800.
This is the tire I use: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Winter+Sport+3D+DSST+RunOnFlat&partnum=76HR6WS3DXLROF&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Interesting, and it only weighs 20 pounds!! (y)

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
I like the fact that it's a RF but has the handling more like a mc tire that the 195. Mileage is at least doubled of a mc tire also.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,503 Posts
I like the fact that it's a RF but has the handling more like a mc tire that the 195. Mileage is at least doubled of a mc tire also.

I will be giving that tire a try at some point in the future! I still have 4 SnowControl to wear out first. They will probably last me through next Fall. (y)

I like the weight of the tire and noticed it has an additional .32 of tread!!

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
I will be giving that tire a try at some point in the future! I still have 4 SnowControl to wear out first. They will probably last me through next Fall. (y)

I like the weight of the tire and noticed it has an additional .32 of tread!!
You won't be disappointed.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,503 Posts
The only downside to the smaller tire, is you give you some lean angle.

yeah, thinks for the reminder. I've noticed a slight difference between the P1 and the SnowControl. (y)

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
The only downside to the smaller tire, is you give you some lean angle.
I hadn't thought about that point Murgie. Not being a peg-drager it hasn't been a concern. To me the pluses of being a RF-CT far outweighed that issue.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How large a reduction in lean angle do you think there would be?

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,503 Posts
How large a reduction in lean angle do you think there would be?
Not sure how that could be measured? Probably what I will do is find a nice twisty road that I run a lot with one of my other tires and run it at the same speed with this 175 and see what happens? I would expect a little more peg scraping? But not sure how to determine the difference without going out and experiencing it?

·
Registered
201 Posts
According to TireRack
DUNLOP SP WINTER SPORT 3D DSST RUNONFLAT specs in these sizes ......
175/60R16 vs 195/55R16 (overall diameter 24.3 vs 24.4) and (revolutions per mile 862 vs 856)
Also 4 lbs less and 1/32 more tread depth with the 175/60R16

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Hey Cruiser, I hope all is well in your world. How are the knees doing?
I'm curious what kind of mileage you're getting from the 175/60R16 tire that you've been using?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Making a couple of general measurements ( removing front tire/rear tire/peddle effect, scraping anything other than the peddle and taking slight liberties with the tape measure). We can turn this into a simple right angle equation. Using the highest preload my peddle scrapers are at 254mm and they are 560mm a part. So center line is 280. Half of 175 is 87.5, so edge of tire to point under peddle scraper is 280-87.5 or 192.5. Making a right angle we get the angle from tire to peddle as 53 degrees. Recalculating for 195 we get 54 degrees. Reapplying the 1 degree to the distance, tire to peddle, means approx 5mm, 1/4 inch of more lean.

A lot of rough calculation here but you get the idea.

Some other things to consider. 20mm (195-175) of 175mm is 11.5 meaning % of surface area or braking surface.
Also 175s are rated 86H (1168 lbs) while 195s are 87H (1201 lbs)

Pulling a trailer I'll take the added braking surface and load capacity.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts