GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the engine idles after being warmed up,The idling spped oscillates between 1000 and 1500 RPM's.I am away on a trip and do not have the service manual with me .Any ideas?Thanks. :(

·
Registered
439 Posts
If it's really bothering you and you have the ability, and a long shank straight tip screwdriver, you can sync the carbs on the road.

Remove the lower side fairing from both sides. On the left side find the vacuum hose on top of the heads. Plug the hose (since you probably don't have a vacuum guage you'll have to plug the nipple too). On the right side there is an opening in the back of the vent that has a rubber plug that is kind of oval with a flat side. Pull the plug out, and with a flashlight look upward until you see a screw that will be in a direct downward angle line to where the rubber plug opening is. Start the bike, and adjust the screw.

When you get the chance find some one with a vacuum gauge to set the sync properly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
gl 1500 rpm wandering

Had this happen with my 1500 on a trip,. turned out to be a bad fuel stop and a can of carb cleaner did the trick with the gunk or water, whatever. Hope you have good luck. I never had a carb sync problem in over 150,00 miles, but I guess it could happen!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Leave the carb synch alone!

You either have bad fuel or a problem with one or both of the carbs. With a 10 year old bike it might just be time for a carb overhaul be a qualified tech.

If the bike is running OK otherwise ignore the problem for the rest of your trip. It might clear up on it's own. Mine did.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Check the inline fuel filter located near the filler door. If you picked up some water it will get trapped in the filter. You can get a replacement at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Josian, you might look for some "Sea Foam". Works Wonders for the onder Engines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts