GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my bike yesterday for the first time since winter hiberation. After the engine came up to temp I raised the RPM to about 2500 in neutral and held it steady. What I am experiencing is a noise and vibration in the grips similar to what a dry blower motor or alternator bearing sounds like on an auto. The noise is the same with the cluctch applied or not.

I plan to take my stethoscope home and pin point it, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. ..... Thanks.... Rob

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Rob,
You're likely hearing the PAIR system operating, kinda like a low rumbling sound? It doesn't react the same in neutral as when actually riding. Go riding, and I'd bet you don't notice it.

Stu

G

·
it could be that over the winter a rat or a weasel took homestead in the machine somewhere and when you started her up a moving part has ground the critter to a oozing mess. Nothing a jug of Clorox and a toothbrush can't clean up. :rat:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys, It could, maybe be described as a low rumbling I suppose I'll check to make sure with a s-scope eventually. The first thing that popped into my head was a dry bearing (not an engine bearing). ..... How's it going Stu? .....If I can ever wade through the freaking cinders here on the street I plan to take a ride soon

·
Registered
231 Posts
PAIR is the acronym for the Pulse Secondary Air Injection system. Pumps fresh air into the exhaust for emission control. :shock:
Includes a solinoid and check valves and other stuff that will probably break at the most inopportune time. :?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I think that I would go with Stu's opinion first. He is well versed on the wing and his knowledge of the Wing is Legend.

Usually if we go looking for a problem, we will continue the hunt till either we find a problem or invent one.

Bulldog

1 - 8 of 8 Posts