GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Bridgestone rear tireand installed at 17,000 miles. I went on a long road trip which was about 6000 miles. And when I got back home I noticed the rear tire was flat like a car tire. What I mean to say is that tire instead of being rounded had become flat about 3 inches wide in the center of the tire. Most of the 6000 miles were highway miles. I am wondering if it was the highway that caused the tire to wear flat in the center of the tire. I have show it to several people and nobody has ever seen a motorcycle tire do this before. Has anyone seen this happen before?

·
Love The DCT
11,783 Posts
I purchased a Bridgestone rear tireand installed at 17,000 miles. I went on a long road trip which was about 6000 miles. And when I got back home I noticed the rear tire was flat like a car tire. What I mean to say is that tire instead of being rounded had become flat about 3 inches wide in the center of the tire. Most of the 6000 miles were highway miles. I am wondering if it was the highway that caused the tire to wear flat in the center of the tire. I have show it to several people and nobody has ever seen a motorcycle tire do this before. Has anyone seen this happen before?
It's not all that uncommon if you do alot of riding "straight up." My rear G704 did the same thing after a long trip, 8K miles on the tire.

·
Registered
323 Posts
:doorag: I have one in the garage on a spare wheel that looks the same as yours. I don't ride enough twisties to keep it round.:p

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
The super slab will do that. I'm surprised you can't see chords yet.

Click the picture for more information.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Very common condition, it's called squaring off. If you run a lot of slab the rear tire will definitely square off.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
6000 miles on mainly straight roads will quickly square off a tire. Good twisty roads will see more even wear all around the thread area because you will be leaning the Wing over more often.

·
Registered
469 Posts
May be a little off topic, but when I had my 1500, I used to tell my friends no wonder they get so many miles out of a set of tires, they're running half the time on the sidewalls. They ALWAYS wanted to go ride in Arkansas on our day trips, and I'd always ride in back of the group 'cause I didn't really like the way my bike handled in the twisties, then I'd just catch up with them in the straights. Now that I've got an 1800, I can ride anywhere in the bunch, and there ain't no more "catchin' up", at least not on my part:thumbup:! Oh yea, back on topic, my tires pretty much wear that way too, the wife don't like the twisties:shrug:!

·
Registered
581 Posts
My first tire squared off badly, as yours did. Lots of highway miles. When you replace it you will notice a huge difference in handling. That squared off tire makes handling feel heavy and when you change it out the bike will feel like a feather. Now that I change my own tires, I'm much quicker to change out my tires. Rather than worry about how many miles I get, I think about handling and safety.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts