GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have a question for the Hannigan owners regarding the Aux Fuel tank. The little Hannigan booklet that came with the kit says that, after the pump is switched on, it will take 10 to 12 minutes to transfer the fuel from the aux to the main tank. Obviously, it also says that the bike needs to be on.

My question is this, is it okay to pump the fuel while the bike is rolling along? To me, it kinda defeats the purpose of having an aux tank if you have to stop for 10 minutes to transfer the fuel. Might as well stop at a gas station and fill up again if that's the case.

Any advice or experiences out there? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
59 Posts
HI !

Sure, you can fill while rolling along, we do it all the time. And, in my husband's experience, it takes 6-1/2 minutes to empty the aux. tank. It's been very handy, think you'll be glad you have it!

Enjoy your ride!

Jo Anne
bitsofjoanne

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I figured that was the case, but with all the knowledgeable folks here, it can't hurt to ask!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Jo Anne, do you know if the aux tank on your Hannigan has a tank vent? Mine doesn't and it takes much longer to empty the aux tank. I also have some issues about when you can pump it into the main tank. Mine works best if I pump it before the main tank is half empty. Usually I pump it over after the gas gage shows it 2 marks down from full.

Dwight

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aux. Fuel Tank

I transfer the fuel out of the auxillary tank all the time while driving down the road, I run the main tank down to below the half way area and then I know the main tank will hold all the fuel with out causing any problems. I accidentally flipped on the fuel switch while cleaning up the bike onch, and the the next time I rode the bike, it pumped fuel into the main tank untill it started to run badly. I found a trail of gasoline behind me when I pulled over to check things out,. I now have a switch that has a safety cover on it so I can't accidently turn on the fuel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Aux. Fuel Tank

Dwight -

I checked with my husband about the vent on the aux. tank and he says he doesn't know if there is one, but it doesn't take very long to empty, so maybe we do???? He says he waits until the main tank is down to the 1/4 mark before transferring the fuel over to the main tank.

I also know he changed the set up of the fuel switch to a button which he pushes and a red light that goes on while the fuel is transferring. He also has it set up to shut off automatically, I think after 8 minutes, just he case he forgets. Works well for us.

Ride Safe!
Jo Anne

·
Registered
251 Posts
How many gallons will the Hannigan aux tank hold? My trike is new and I've only been able to put in two and one half gallons. I love the ride of the Hannigan, and what a great bunch of guys.
Capt Bob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi -

We believe the aux. tank holds 3-1/2 gallons.

We love the ride too! We've been triked (Candy Orange) since Halloween last year and have enjoyed every minute!

Enjoy!
Lou & Jo Anne

1 - 8 of 8 Posts