GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 GL1800 with a Champion trike conversion and the rear brakes feel odd to me. The rear pedal travels about an inch or so when first applied but if immediately reapplied it will only travel 1/2 an inch. This tells me that there is air in lines but I have bled the brakes more than once.

The installer tells me that this is characteristic of a Champion conversion. Has something to do with the volume of the lines and the calipers relaxing. I have noticed that the left side caliper does relax more than normal.

Anyone with a Champion conversion experience this? Have you been able to fix this? If so, How?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
a sticking caliper could also cause this. The caliper clamps down onto the rotor slowing the vehicle, so if one of the "slides" is gummed up the caliper may not be able to move or slide back and fourth taking another "pump" on the pedal to make it work. I would check this out first, then if all is well go ahead and bleed the system, I love the mity vac for this job. Good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Disc brakes are designed so that when your foot is taken off the pedal the disc pads retract only a fraction of an inch and its possible to still have some slight drag.....

Your second pump is allowing the system to pump up the caliper and push out the piston and pad... you could have some air.... but I'm guessing the design of the Honda Master cylinder is to blame.... I'm guessing it doesn't have enough stroke or volumn to supply 2 real calipers and that's why you have a full inch or more as you stroke the pedal... (Long stroke) Remember your asking a master cylinder designed to supply one caliper to supply 2....

But you need to be sure that the calipers haven't been installed upside down or on the incorrect side..... the bleeder for the caliper should be the highest point in the system.... if not.... here is a little trick I use to solve this problem....

I slowly compress one or more of the pistons in the caliper... I block the rest of the pistons when I do this.... other wise the pressure could pop them out of the caliper... this pressure will force back to the master cylinder the fluid and any and all air bubbles... I'd push one back... and remove the surplus fluid from the master with a turkey baster... I'd block that piston in the bottom of the bore and do the next piston... each time I compressed the pistion I'd have someone look for air bubbles in the master cylinder... any air bubbles proves there is air in the system... Once all the way compressed I'd than start by pumping the system up again and adding back the fluid I just took out... it the fluid isn't clear as water... I'd pitch it and use only new....

We have a bad problem with this with hyd clutches much more so than with brakes... the optional method is to use a vacuum pump at the caliper and pull the brake fluid and air from the system...

Hope this has given you some insight....

Jim

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have notoced the same thing without a trike conversion. Once you get used to it you won't even notice it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I noticed this on my new Hannigan conversion. The bore on the Honda master cylinder is pretty small and then you add another caliper. When I called about this they told me I wouldn't have a solid pedal but I would have good brakes. This was true, I don't have the good solid pedal you expect but the brakes work very well.
I'm wondering if the installation of a residual pressure valve in front of the "Y" connection would help. When you install the disc brake option on the Lehman/HD conversions they include both a resevior extension and a residual pressure valve. You get a nice solid pedal with this system.
The residual pressure valves are available from just about any race car supply shop. What these valves do is hold a slight amount of pressure in the system to reduce the amount of travel needed to fully extend the piston.
Now having addressed that, does anybody know if I can connect my front master cylinder to both front discs? Hannigan disables the linked brakes and this works fine, but I would like to have the extra front braking power.

Dwight

·
Registered
325 Posts
03 Champion -- Rear Brakes feel OK, But thanks for the heads up... Ill know what to check for if this comes up........... How many miles you got on her already???

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
This happened to Holly's Champion trike. Everybody told me just get used to it. NO WAY, I called Champion & they call the dealer. I took it back in & there was a little air in the system. After they got the air out the brakes are GREAT. Better then any bike I have owned. At an ERC course her Champion out braked all the other brands that were there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts