GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much coolant stays in the engine block even after you drain it?

I just finished changing out the coolant on my Wing. It wasn't hard. But, what surprised me was that when I opened the drain plug, no coolant come out ... nada, zilch, zero. The overflow bottle was empty also.

There must have been some in the engine block because my bike has never run hot, and the temperature gauge has always stayed just below the half way mark.

I concluded that some coolant must be still in the engine and/or hoses. Any ideas?

BTW, I'm glad I changed it when I did. I don't know how long I could have gone before it overheated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm confused. You said you changed out the coolant, but nothing came out of the drain. Was their no coolant in your system at all? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Keyboard. When I tried to drain my coolant nothing came out. I found the drain to be plugged. I had to remove it and clean it out. This has happened to several people. I suspect that you have the same problem. I would be concerned that you only added coolant to a system that was low on coolant instead of changing it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If y'all are confused, just think I felt. I should have said I attempted to change the coolant, but nothing came out. However, I could only add 3/4 of a quart when it should have taken about 3 1/2 quarts when empty.

I've heard from another person that the drain is probably clogged. This sounds like it is the problem. I'm going to check it out and will let you know the results.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Does anyone know how much coolant stays in the engine block even after you drain it?

I just finished changing out the coolant on my Wing. It wasn't hard. But, what surprised me was that when I opened the drain plug, no coolant come out ... nada, zilch, zero. The overflow bottle was empty also.

There must have been some in the engine block because my bike has never run hot, and the temperature gauge has always stayed just below the half way mark.

I concluded that some coolant must be still in the engine and/or hoses. Any ideas?

BTW, I'm glad I changed it when I did. I don't know how long I could have gone before it overheated.
I think I got almost 5 or 6 quarts out (don't remember). I do remember that the amount that I put back in was very close to the capacity listed in the book. I removed the plug down by the oil filter. Then I removed the radiator cap and used a wet vac with a cone shaped nozzle in the radiator to slurp out the fluid. I got it all, from the plastic reservoir too. I had to crank the engine a couple of times to get it all out. Refilling takes a while, I had to add fluid about 6 or 7 times due to air pockets in the system.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: The drain was clogged, thereby keeping the coolant from coming out. I poked it with a screwdriver and it came rushing out. I feel much better now.

BTW, The coolant capacity is 3.73 quarts + 0.69 quarts for the reserve tank.

Thanks Roadhog and Grampa for pointing me in the right direction.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can guarantee you, if their was no coolant in your system it would overheat.:lol:

PS: So will that Rune!
Correct. That's why I orginally said some must of been left in the engine block when I opened the drain plug.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jusy curious;

What was plugging it?
I don't know ... crud I guess. As soon as I poked the screwdriver in, the coolant began to drain.

How old is the bike?
6 years old. It's an 03 (see my signature block).

How long since the coolant was changed?
This was the first time. I have ~58,000 miles on the bike. I should have done it miles ago.
Cheers,

·
Registered
192 Posts
A friend and myself just recently purchased the Uview Airlift, Part 550000 to change our cooling systems. It worked great and did not take much time at all. I have since done the cooling system for a Buddy with a GL1500 too. The link to the site is http://www.uview.com/ProductPage.php?Category=Cooling+System+Service+Tools and it works just as described. We purchased it from Amazon.com. It's a bit pricey, but now we have the tool for future use.

rlift
Part #:550000

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Jusy curious;

What was plugging it?
How old is the bike?
How long since the coolant was changed?
A little bit of scale or crud coats the opening for the drain bolt. After you remove the bolt, you just poke an awl or wire in the hole to let the coolant out. This is very common.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I changed my coolant last week I removed the exhaust covers, and loosened the hose clamp below each cylinder and pulled the hose off of the aluminum neck. This was the lowest point I could find. Then I filled with distilled water, ran until fan's started, turnd off and drained again.
after cooling I reinstalled hoses and filled with honda 50/50 blend coolant,
just shy of 4 litre's with overflow container washed and filled.

·
Registered
679 Posts
How much antifreeze should be showing on the coolant tank dip stick?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I changed my coolant a few months ago. Removed the drain plug and nothing but a drip. DUH. System under pressure. Remove the filler cap and voalla. Drained out about 5 to 10 gallons. I think.
Make sure your filler cap is removed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts