GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my Silver 02 in for the ECM and Frame repair and was wondering what else if anything the dealers are doing as part of this service. This dealer is truly a don't ask don't get operation and I just want to make sure given all we have been through that they are doing what other dealers are . They are replacing my left saddlebag linkage with a newer stronger version ( so they say). I would appreciate any feedback you all can give me. Thanks....Joe

·
Registered
810 Posts
02's

Another '02 Silver Hear.

I know about the ECM change, and they are supposed to check the head on one cylinder for it's capacity to hold coolant. If it doesn't pass, it's changed out. There also is a TSB for the reverse cable on the 02's in case you are having trouble there.

Not sure about a resistor for the temp gauge, I know one year had this, I think 01's, but not sure about 02's. Also, they are supposed to check about the coolant hose running too close to some wiring on one side as it can crystalize the coolant inside the house and can clog part of the cooling system.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
The ECM is only a BandAid part of SB-13. The major inspections involve checking the volume in Both Heads and if either one holds too little it will be replaced. There were some bad castings for at least two years and the inspection is to find the bad ones that restrict coolant flow.

They will also inspect the Left side Radiator to see if Electrolysis has started in it or pluged it up. They found some bikes where the wiring harness above the Left Radiator was misrouted and ended up being cut through on one or more hot leads which caused it to become electricaly charged causing the problem. If the Wiring harness is too close it will be rerouted and it the radiator was effected it will be replaced.

Depending on you VIN and if the Left Head, where the Temp Sensor is located, is replaced they will select one of several Sub-Harness with the corrective Resistor needed to "Recalabrate" the Temp Gauge. Read that to mean make the Gauge read Lower than it did.

At the last they will replace the ECM that controls the FI System to change some unknown function at low speed. Honda clames that it will allow the engine to run slightly cooler long enough to extend the time before OH occurs. Their testing seems to back up their clame that it will indeed give you more time before you or the bike OH. :wink:

Jerry

ps, My testing pre & post SB-13 show no change with our Hack Rig. It will still peg the Gauge in the same time under the same load conditions on the hills West of town. Depending on the hill and ambiant temp we have 5 to 10 minutes to the Red Zone with another 1 or 2 to Puke starting from normal @ 1 mark below mid scale. With the Fan Override off if the Speed is kept above 25-30 or below 10 it works OK but not in the dreaded 10 to 20 mph zone. With the Fan Override on it will stay at mid scale under all low speed operations on the hills. Pulling a Hack does put the maximum load on the bike and makes a good test bed to find out just how good or poor the cooling system is.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Several owners have requested that dealer replace air filter and adjust cruse control while they are in there. May not be any extra charge for labor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts