GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My only experience with headsets comes from the ones the previous owner gave me when I bought the bike in June. They're Honda model, and obviously used, though I don't know how old they are. What I've noticed is that I need to turn the volume up quite a ways to hear through them, and think they probably aren't performing the way they did when new.
So, if I'm going to replace the headsets in our helmets, should I expect to see a marked improvement in sound quality and clarity by going to new ones? Also, which brand would you recommend?
From what I understand, a headset for a modular helmet, like my wife wears, is a little hard to find. True?
Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
165 Posts
We have the mid range J&M headsets. Others will say Edsets are even better but I dont know, never tried them. Either one will probly satisfy you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
headsets

i'm actually thinking about getting the imc headset to go with a half helmet, it doesn't fasten inside helmet, it just fits around your head,or thats what they tell me...

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
J&M Elite series for me. you have to have the volume up to around 15 or higher at hwy speeds. Might want some more imput on that, but have others say that also.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Silverback said:
My only experience with headsets comes from the ones the previous owner gave me when I bought the bike in June. They're Honda model, and obviously used, though I don't know how old they are. What I've noticed is that I need to turn the volume up quite a ways to hear through them, and think they probably aren't performing the way they did when new.
So, if I'm going to replace the headsets in our helmets, should I expect to see a marked improvement in sound quality and clarity by going to new ones? Also, which brand would you recommend?
From what I understand, a headset for a modular helmet, like my wife wears, is a little hard to find. True?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Answering your questions in order:
Yes, most aftermarket sets will be better then OEM.
Edsets, IMHO, are the best regardless of price.
I have Edsets installed in 2 modulars (Nolan 100e's), a full face (Vega) and a HJC half helmet. All work great.

Here's a link to Edsets, I'd recommend the Sonic N-Vader for the flip-face helmets:
http://edsets.com/products.php?category_id=13

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
I have the JM mid line sets. I am not completely happy with the fidelity. Go for the top of the line models

·
Registered
258 Posts
If the only thing you are worried about is sound and your mic works ok, try to replace the speakers with a set from Walmart or some other store. I built my own head sets with a close out pair of Koss headset speakers and they sound as good if not better than any others I have heard. Just take the set apart and solder the wires to the new speakers. Adjust how far they are from your ears and you are done.

·
Registered
83 Posts
headsets

hey HiYo with your half helmet HJC is your edset with earbuds? and is earbuds little speakers that just fit inside your ear?? curious minds need to know, cause i know nothing about edsets i went to there site.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Silverback

The one thing you must do with any headset is get the speakers as close to your ears as possible. it makes a big difference. :D :D

Chuck

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
One good point is to have them close to your ear,,but also they need to be in alignment with your ear..not offset to the front or back,,,or too high or too low......My J&M work great......plus the people at J&M are great..when you have a problem ,they take care of you...2 year warranty......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts