GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the OEM shock, at the bottom there is a large flat washer, and sitting on top of that there is a large washer with a flange that keeps the spring centered on the shock. The new shock and spring have the flat washer, but not the flanged washer.

I am assuming that I have to re-use this washer, but it doesn't say so in the instructions. It only says, "reverse the above procedure". Am I right in re-using this?

Also, which retaining ring position are you guys using?

·
Registered
233 Posts
A bump for you, because I am about to install the Progressive springs too. My bike is an 08' if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am surprised nobody chimed in with as many of these have been installed. Everybody must be out riding.

Common sense tells me that the washer should be there, I used it on the new shock.

·
Registered
298 Posts
On the OEM shock, at the bottom there is a large flat washer, and sitting on top of that there is a large washer with a flange that keeps the spring centered on the shock. The new shock and spring have the flat washer, but not the flanged washer.

I am assuming that I have to re-use this washer, but it doesn't say so in the instructions. It only says, "reverse the above procedure". Am I right in re-using this?

Also, which retaining ring position are you guys using?
Yes, reuse.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

I found a little quirk in their instructions. I actually had two different sets. One of them came with the spring compressor, and the other came with the shock/spring. They were mostly the same. I was following the set that came with spring compressor. It left out the part about re-using the washer. the other set mentioned it.

Figures. Give me a 50/50 chance, and I still can't pick the winner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts