GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to pull the trigger on a Sena bluetooth headst but concerned about wind noise. I know there is a wind sock on the end of the mic but does it eliminate the majority of wind noise to the point where you can't hear any wind noise or just cust it down to an acceptable level?

What is your experience with intercoms, wind noise, and how others hear you when riding and talking.

I'm using a shorty HJC helmet.

Thanks

·
Banned
3,197 Posts
Best case is two people with full face helmets. Next best is two people with 3/4 helmets with full face shields.

With full face helmets and the shield down you can talk and hear fine at any speed.

With a 3/4 helmet and face shield you can talk and hear fine to 65-70 mph then anything above that becomes a struggle to figure out what was being said exactly.

The wind noise (inside your own helmet) affects your ability to hear what the other person is saying to a greater degree than the ability of the windsock to diffuse the sound of the wind noise.

I must admit the probability that (based on how well the helmet fits) a tight fit around the ears where the speakers from the intercom system are close and tight to the ear would improve the legibility of the sound in any scenario.

There is a learning process. I found that wearing a full face helmet was worth the price based on * no sunscreen and * hearing the Bluetooth intercom flawlessly at any speed.

BTW: The Cardo Scala Rider allows uninterrupted intercom. They also have a model that offers a 1 mile range.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that reply....I appreciate it.

Hearing for me isn't the issue because I will be using noise canceling ear phones. It's the others hearing me when I speak into the mic.

Most of my speeds will be under 65 or even much less as I try to stay off the highway as much as possible when touring.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Best case is two people with full face helmets. Next best is two people with 3/4 helmets with full face shields.

With full face helmets and the shield down you can talk and hear fine at any speed.

With a 3/4 helmet and face shield you can talk and hear fine to 65-70 mph then anything above that becomes a struggle to figure out what was being said exactly.

The wind noise (inside your own helmet) affects your ability to hear what the other person is saying to a greater degree than the ability of the windsock to diffuse the sound of the wind noise.

I must admit the probability that (based on how well the helmet fits) a tight fit around the ears where the speakers from the intercom system are close and tight to the ear would improve the legibility of the sound in any scenario.

There is a learning process. I found that wearing a full face helmet was worth the price based on * no sunscreen and * hearing the Bluetooth intercom flawlessly at any speed.

BTW: The Cardo Scala Rider allows uninterrupted intercom. They also have a model that offers a 1 mile range.

yep...what he said...lol...the distance is not that great....works pretty good under 65mph...if I was going bluetooth again, I'd go with the Cardo Scala Rider...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts