GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if any members have had their tires filed with nitrogen AND .. if they find they ride "harder" after the change over ???
Mine did .. and now they ride like a hard rock with 40#'s of pressure in both front and rear. I'm thinking it's time to go back to good old air.

As usual .. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
568 Posts
We had a promotion on for a while at the car dealership I work at, 100% of the techs all agreed it was a total waste of money for the consumer.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Stop being a bozo. :D If your tires are harder it has nothing to do with whats in them. Your running more pressure than you did before.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Only if liquid nitrogen..
:joke:

Dennis

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
So Racer, do you recommend the continued use of the nitrogen? If he uses the same psi as he did with regular air, the ride should not be more harsh.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Well let's see, it's been what - a week - since the last nitrogen post??? Boyle's Law applies whether you're using N2, O2, H2, HE2 - whatever. Psychosomatic symptoms.

If in the event this post was an honest question, then apologies are in order from me, as well as a search by the OP over the recent discussions concerning use of N2.

internet troll hell.jpg

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stop being a bozo. :D If your tires are harder it has nothing to do with whats in them. Your running more pressure than you did before.
Well let's see, it's been what - a week - since the last nitrogen post??? Boyle's Law applies whether you're using N2, O2, H2, HE2 - whatever. Psychosomatic symptoms.

If in the event this post was an honest question, then apologies are in order from me, as well as a search by the OP over the recent discussions concerning use of N2.

View attachment 52362

Ya know what .. It was an honest question on topic I had no knowledge of ..
some of you guys are such a$$h073s ... I'm sorry I asked.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Gone on the first spring run tomorrow, about 500 miles or so. I just put spring/summer air in my tires yesterday and when I check them in the morning once again, will add summer air only. Summer air at 34 psi in that front tire tends to make it ride much nicer..........;) Give a tiny bit of more footprint on the road too........

40 psi......happy riding, do not drink any milk, it may turn to butter and stop up something. ;)

·
Registered
7,389 Posts

I extend my apologies to you sir - as your response indicates it was an honest question. Unfortunately, I responded as if it were a similar question that was posted recently by someone else - that indeed was a bogus question that the moderators eventually pulled as it was just meant to stir the pot.

No harm intended. To provide an honest answer to your question - as my somewhat smart*ss reply stated - it won't matter if you fill it with nitrogen, air, oxygen, methane (wouldn't recommend it). If it's a gas, it will follow Boyle's Law, and 40 psi is 40 psi. So any change you may have noticed was not caused by the gas of choice placed into the tire.

As Racer57 and Kit indicated - check your pressure - might be running a bit high for the tire.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Gone on the first spring run tomorrow, about 500 miles or so. I just put spring/summer air in my tires yesterday and when I check them in the morning once again, will add summer air only. Summer air at 34 psi in that front tire tends to make it ride much nicer..........;) Give a tiny bit of more footprint on the road too........

40 psi......happy riding, do not drink any milk, it may turn to butter and stop up something. ;)
Kit - where did you manage to find summer air at - all my local dealer's currently have in stock is Spring Air ? :shrug: :lol:

·
Registered
386 Posts
The Nitrogen that is used in tires is nothing more than Dry air. When you put air in a tire from an air compressor you get atmospheric moisture in the tire. That moisture will have a bigger impact on pressure swings as the tire gets hotter from riding. Truth be told, the difference in pressure that you will observe in the limited space that we are talking in miniscule. I run grade E breathable air in mine, but only because I have a scuba compressor with air tanks laying around, but for no other reason, I see no difference.

So if your riding harder, that means you probably were low on pressure before.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm wondering if any members have had their tires filed with nitrogen AND .. if they find they ride "harder" after the change over ???
Mine did .. and now they ride like a hard rock with 40#'s of pressure in both front and rear. I'm thinking it's time to go back to good old air.

I have nitrogen in mine and, with the same pressure levels, I can't tell any difference compared to other motorcycles I had running plain air. In fairness, I never rode this current Wing without the nitrogen but it does not seem harsh at all. The tires were nitrogen filled when I bought the Wing. JMHO but I think it is more the pressure than the straight nitrogen because air is what 78% nitrogen anyway. On the flip side I am not convinced it is a big advantage and I doubt I will do the nitrogen thing on the next set of tires. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
And so.... The wheel gets invented once again. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
4,706 Posts

I sincerely did not mean to appear to be making a smarta** comment, but asking if 40lbs of nitrogen makes a tire harder than 40lbs of air is like asking if 1lb of lead weighs more than 1lb of feathers. :D

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
some of you guys are such a$$h073s
..yes, that is true...
I'm often guilty.

.. But, this not the short bus where everything is peachy keen...
... it is a "biker" board.. we do (good naturedly) "rib" each other..
(and most often on a beat to death question)

And/but...
How about a legit question though?
.. Where did THIS guy disappear to?..
... He seemed like a nice reasonable guy that would enjoy a joke..,
"Life is short! Break the rules!
Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly!
Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably .
And never regret anything that made you smile"
:shrug:???:shrug:
Dennis

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
My 2012 Armada came with nitrogen in the tires. Since then I have added air, not nitrogen, I haven't noticed any difference in ride or MPG. The problem with nitrogen is if and when you add air unless your at a place that has it, and you probably don't have it in your garage, you add air.
I know nitrogen isn't suppose to escape like air so you shouldn't need it as much but you still need to add air once in awhile.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I sincerely did not mean to appear to be making a smarta** comment, but asking if 40lbs of nitrogen makes a tire harder than 40lbs of air is like asking if 1lb of lead weighs more than 1lb of feathers. :D
Don't confuse weight with pressure.
Air (which is 78% nitrogen) is slightly denser than Nitrogen.
Nitrogen = 0.0727 lb / cuft
air =0.0752 lb /cuft
So the nitrogen would technically ride softer than air, but I doubt anybody's butt is sensitive enough even without all the suspension and tire flex differences.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Don't confuse weight with pressure.
Air (which is 78% nitrogen) is slightly denser than Nitrogen.
Nitrogen = 0.0727 lb / cuft
air =0.0752 lb /cuft
So the nitrogen would technically ride softer than air, but I doubt anybody's butt is sensitive enough even without all the suspension and tire flex differences.
Sorry, but incorrect on your analogy/description. While the tire's overall weight (mass) may be insignificantly different, the pressure exerted by the two gasses in the tire will be identical when filled to the same pressure. PSI is PSI - pounds force per square inch. This is independent of the gas mixture used.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts

If your bike ride seems stiffer after paying to have nitrogen put in your tires, try dialing down your suspension to compensate for the reduction of wallet weight. :roll:

Your ride is not going to be effected but what type of gas you fill your tires with, but what pressure they are filled to will.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts