GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is my first post on this board.

My son & I are going to Alaska in the spring of 2007. Recently I have ideas about a trailer. The first question I have is.......How does the trailer affect the handling on bad roads? I expect that we will see plenty of road construction and have no idea what would happen to the handling of the bike.

Thanks for you comments.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've never ridden to Alaska, so I don't know how bad the roads are.
If you buy a Bushtec, it'll handle anything the bike will.... :flg:

There's a few of our board members that have ridden to Alaska with trailers, I'm sure they'll give you more info.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
most MC trailer will handle whatever the bike does. The only thing you have to be conscious of is the width of the trailer. If your in a construction zone and a trailer wheel drops off the edge of the pavement, you may have a small handling problem. The large Bushtec wheels handle this situation with out incident. However smaller wheeled trailers may not be able to get back on the road as easily and it may tend to pull the rear tire to that side of the road.

Well at least thats about the only thing I worry about while pulling my Hot dog cart :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Definitely consider buying a trailer, just for the extra cargo it allows you to carry along, but reconsider going in the Spring. I'm sure that everything is still frozen up that away, that time of year.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Under almost all road and wind conditions you will not be aware that the trailer is behind you. We pull a Bushtec Quantum II. We had on incident where we found a deep hole of loose gravel in an otherwise solid gravel raod. Our friends behind us said that it looked like the trailer actually helped me pull through by stabilizing the rear of the bike. I was way too busy at the time to be sure but I think they were right.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I probably miss spoke.........We are taking a short one week trip the last of May and then leave for Alaska sometime the first part of June.

Thanks for the reply's from everyone.

Any more advice :?:

Ken

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
kena1940 said:
Any more advice :?:

Ken
Look both ways before crossing the street???????????????? :yes:

sorry :banghead: I couldn't help myself :roll:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
On good roads trailers handle well. On bad roads they will pull the rear of the bike around a bit... by bad roads I'm referring to lots of potholes and other surface irregularities. It's nothing that an average rider can't handle if they are aware the trailer will do it. This effect is magnified at slower speeds. Hitting a pothole or curb in a corner with one trailer wheel at less than 5 mph can pull the bike over if you're not careful. It is also magnified depending on the trailer's suspension. Leaf springs and torsion axles will handle a bit worse than those with shocks, coil over shocks or air suspension coupled with coil over shocks. Also, the wider the tire, the better it will handle these situations.

I pulled my trailer this summer - torsion suspension - and ran into some stretches of interstate that had the blacktop surface ground down for several miles. The trailer was really dancing back there, following the grooves in the surface, and I had to slow to about 55 mph to handle it comfortably. The bike was doing it's own dance also.

Having said all that, I'd pull the trailer regardless. They are well worth it on a trip. Have fun.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
kena 1940
Al and Debbie Brown live in Alaska and travel to and from the lower states with their Tailwind.

If you will eMail me your eMail address, I will forward it to Al and get him in touch with you about roads, times of year, etc.. I know they did a 9,000 mile trip and another long trip also this summer. They probably have lots of stories and photos

Wanderer,

What you describe in the trailer's reaction to bad road problems, is purely a function of suspension, its compliance, its damping, its travel, and its dynamic tracking. None of what you describe will occur with the patented suspension of the Tailwind.

If you look closely at the wheel suspension in the chassis photo, it resembles a motocross rear wheel suspension and for good reason.

·
Registered
20 Posts
kena 1940

I bought one of Tom's trailers, a Tailwind. He is right, you will never feel the bumps and pot holes in the road. I have only pulled mine about 4000 miles so far and have hit pot holes, those damn concrete gutters they put in some of the roads, I hit one of those to fast, was looking to the side of the road rather than paying attention to the road like I should. Anyway, the bike did it's little dance thru the gutter but when the trailer went thru it there was no transfer to the bike. The trailer just walked right thru it. That was the worst bump I have hit with it.

I am planning on going to Hyder Seek next year, Hyder is in Alaska and will be taking the trailer, it will probably hold up better than I will.

Do the research, you may come to the same decision that I did.

What ever trailer you choose, the two of you have a great time. I have to wait for my Grandkids to get a little older before my son and I can take trips like that again.

Roger
Tempe, Arizona

·
Registered
977 Posts
Kena1940

I have a 25 year old shoreline with a straight axle/leaf springs. Butt ugly but does the job and its going to get fresh paint this winter. Usually I never feel it behind the bike. I do feel some bumps but nothing major. Have pulled it fully loaded to well past 90, no problems. Doesn't really effect the gas mileage either. The wife and I never travel without it. It just too handy. If the wife would turn loose of the money I would have a tailwind or a bushtec.

Get a good hitch. You will get many opinions on this board but do your own research.

I too am headed to Alaska next May. Leaving Knoxville Tennessee May 29 and dont have to be back at work until June 25. Maybe I will see you on the road. Good Luck

·
Registered
143 Posts
trailer towing

It is my belief that a trailer will stabalize the back end of a bike if loss of tire pressure. I speak from experience. Ran over something and cut a inch long slice across the center of the tire. I wondered if I should pull over and check the bike. I just drove it to the shoulder of the road in complete control. I think the trailer kept it going nice and straight. JMHO Tom

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for your time. I think I will get a hitch next month and then borrow a friends trailer for some testing.

Jay Hoover, do you intend to take your trailer to Alaska? If so, do you have any misgivings about pulling thru road construction of the Alcan hiway?

Again, thanks to everyone for your time.

Ken

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yes I intend to pull the trailer to Alaska. We intend to make a few side excursions and will need extra cold weather gear and some camping gear. I will just have to do lots of hole dodging or ride it out. We dont have a super tight schedule, about 400+ each day. That mileage will be easy to make if the roads are decent, and will allow for several days at a slower pace.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts