GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the Sandhills area of North Carolina and in the summer there is alway a chance of a late day thunderstorm. I stopped riding my bike to work on those type of days cause I was worried about the eletronics. I have an F6B model which has a lot less then your goldwings and was curious what you all do. I do carry a cover that I could use while parked and the ride home is only about 10 miles. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Ride it

I've ridden thousands of miles in the rain. Had it sit overnight in a storm with over 3 inches of rain. The only thing that kind of sucks is the seat gets really wet. Had to take it off and let it dry in the garage when I got home. Other than that, I've had no problem with the electronics or anything else. I'd only worry about covering the seat unless you are expecting hail or something.

·
Administrator
3,590 Posts
I don't worry about it at all, either when it is parked or when I am riding it. I live in Southeast Texas so my bike sees a fair amount of rain. It presently has over 200,000 miles on it without a hint of electronic troubles.

Glen

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
You mean rain like this??? :eek:4: Note - had to ride through this before we got to the hotel - so yes the bike is pretty waterproof from rain. :nojoke:

P4283127.jpg

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Mine was outside in a rain storm with 90 MPH wind and suffered no ill effects. It didn't even fall over as it was on the side stand and the wind was hitting the right side of the bike against the stand. Like many others I've ridden in pretty hard rain and for many miles never a problem.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
My bike gets hosed every week, wash it just like I wash my cars, I keep the heavy hosing off the ignition and handlebar switches some what, but everything else, speakers, radio buttons and all gets hosed.

It's a 06 with 66K on the clock.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I like that little tent thing over the bike on the left. Anyone know what that is?
This is the one I carry all the time. Packs up about the size of a beer can. Not exactly the same as the one above, but covers enough to keep rain and prying eyes and fingers away!
Takes about 10 seconds to put it on.
http://tourking.us/shop/index.php/

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
This is the one I carry all the time. Packs up about the size of a beer can. Not exactly the same as the one above, but covers enough to keep rain and prying eyes and fingers away!
Takes about 10 seconds to put it on.
http://tourking.us/shop/index.php/

I have a tourking but it doesn't work very good with a short windbender. Just not taught enough even after tying extra knots in the elastic. But thx for the link.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
You mean rain like this??? :eek:4: Note - had to ride through this before we got to the hotel - so yes the bike is pretty waterproof from rain. :nojoke:

View attachment 56299
That looks like last years WINGDING... :22yikes::22yikes:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Never had a problem with rain. Even some pretty hard rain....Seat does get a little soggy though ;-)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the posts. Now I feel a little dumb looking at some of those rain pics!!!! I didn't realize the speakers would hold up that well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I commute every day if there is no snow/ice, have put 12k miles on since buying my F6B in October, and it sits outside my office in the elements 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. This is in Portland, OR by the way. I also wash it the same way I would wash my car. If Honda expected it to be covered in the rain then it should be in the manual and they should include one. But I don't think I will lose any sleep over it. :nojoke:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
You will have more problems with the electronics from not using them, than from rain. Buy a good cover that says Water PROOF, not resistant. Resistant means it will soak through eventually in any decent rain or even heavy dew, and get everything wet.

As for those electronics, anything with a switch, cruise, back-up, CB, emergency flashers, etc, use ALL those buttons from time to time, at least once a week and chances are you may never have a problem with them.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Rain

Its not a Harley I hope you dont want it on a trailer next ;)

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

View attachment 56299
I like that little tent thing over the bike on the left. Anyone know what that is?

That is my bike on the left and the shade was given to me by SSNCOB a couple of years ago.

It is mainly to be used to keep the sun from hitting the seat and causing skin burns. But it is also good to keep the dew from collecting on the seat and dash at night when traveling.

SSNCOB uses it when he rides to work and parks all day. Only takes 15 seconds to deploy.

That is called a Cycle Shade. link: http://cycleshade.com/

gramps

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I ride all the time in the rain, commute daily to work all year round in all temperatures, and have never experienced an issue... except for the hot summer sun damaging my seat cover (all the seams splitting). In hindsight, I'd have used a 1/2 cover to protect from the intense summer sun/heat. Rain? NO PROBLEM. That's how my GL1800 gets washed regularly!

:rain1: :yes1:

:sun1: :banghead:

I would cover the FB6 EVERYDAY rain or shine to keep the sun off of it. Over time, the sun will damage the MC more than rain.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts