GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:doorag: I am running stones on my wing. I have 19000 miles on the front tire and only 8000 on the rear. The rear is about used up. My question is, is anyone running say a metzeler on the back with a stone on the front? I would like to know the pros and cons of running two different manufactures tires on the wing. Thanks. :p

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
tires

I have a stone on front and 250 dunlop on rear for about 5000 miles with no ill effects yet. I guess I am cheep I hated to take a tire with 6-7000 miles left on it off.
Jack.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
i never had problems with mixing tyre brands just make sure there in good condition check them after every ride and use correct air pressure you should be good to go

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
tires

Don't put a Metzler on had a set the back had blisters about the size of dimes come on it after about 6000 miles.started riding funny, didn't ride the bike hard i'm not a aggressive rider.the front was cupping real bad checked the air each time i went riding.maybe a bad batch i don't know.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have never heard of anyone having any difficulty running mixed brands of tires on a motorcycle. Heck, you'd be surprised how many have run Bias on one end and Radial on the other without even knowing they were doing it until someone pointed out the mismatch.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
The only tires with which I've had a bad experience are the Dunlop 250s and the Shinkos. Didn't last past 7000 miles and were slippery. I've always liked Metzlers and the next set I'll try is Metzler on back and Bridgestone on front per recommendation of trialsman and yellow wolf.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
A Metz rear and a Stone front is, IMHO, and in Yellow Wolf's opinion, the ideal set-up.

Mix and match all you want. Any combo will work.

And some rear tires that work on the Wing don't care what you put on in front of them. (Wink, Wink)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If you listen to wisdom and riding skills then ditto Trialsman (and Wolf reference) on the
709 front/Metz rear combo as being the best

If you listen to a hacker like me, then
709 front/Metz rear combo as being the best

Whoever mentioned 'old school' related to mixing tire brand: If I understand 'old school' in this case, you mean mixing bias and radials? Putting different radials brands does not have any significant negative effect.

Serendipitously, you might just put a different, but better front radial brand than the one you use on the back...and viceversa.
Which is the reason the 709 front and Metz rear combo is popular.

The 709 seems to be the best frontie, and the Metz the best tail sneaker...

Never use 250 Dunlop unless you like to sky on a Goldwing!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts