GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched, looked at the manual and have a set of DVD's on order.
My questions are:

1. Those that used the cement anchor to pull the bearings, what did you use to pull against the cement anchor?

2. If I get the All Balls, do I need to pack them with grease or are they already to be installed?

I have a 2010 Wing, with just over 14,000 miles. When I had a Dunlop E3 installed, I had vibration in the handlebars after being balanced. Took it back for balancing again and the tech noticed that when he spun the wheel, a regular bump could be felt through the balancing rod that goes through the axle. When I removed the wheel initially, the wheel turned sideways on me and dropped down. It was a struggle for me to get it propery aligned to get the axle out. The second time, I knew what to expect and no problem. Anyway, I am thinking I may have damaged a wheel bearing.

This is something I did and thus do not want to deal with warranty since it is not a defect. Even if it were, I would rather handle myself for as inexpensive as the repair will be.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My questions are:

1. Those that used the cement anchor to pull the bearings, what did you use to pull against the cement anchor?

2. If I get the All Balls, do I need to pack them with grease or are they already to be installed?

I have a 2010 Wing, with just over 14,000 miles. When I had a Dunlop E3 installed, I had vibration in the handlebars after being balanced. Took it back for balancing again and the tech noticed that when he spun the wheel, a regular bump could be felt through the balancing rod that goes through the axle. When I removed the wheel initially, the wheel turned sideways on me and dropped down. It was a struggle for me to get it propery aligned to get the axle out. The second time, I knew what to expect and no problem. Anyway, I am thinking I may have damaged a wheel bearing.

This is something I did and thus do not want to deal with warranty since it is no a defect. Even if it were, I would rather handle myself for as inexpensive as the repair is will be.
Howdy, ican't help you with that tool, but yes, you do have to pack the bearings, Honda has a tool for bearing removal that isn't that expensive,but that is up to you. Sorry to here about your dilemma,good luck!
Hobbit

·
Registered
566 Posts
I didn't pull the anchor out, I drove it out by placing a steel rod through the other side of the wheel against the end of the anchor and hit it firmly with a hammer. Remember each side has two bearings, only do one at a time. Hope this helps.
Jakec

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
wheel bearings

I you replace the stock Honda ones with all balls, you do not have to re-pack them. They are sealed bearings on both sides. You can pull the seal back if you want to, but not necessary.
The Honda bearings only have a seal on the outer bearing. Most goldwings go to their grave with the original wheel bearings. Not a normal maintenance item as they are double on each side and normally outlast the bike unless involved in an accident or subject to pressure washers.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. Do the All Balls come with the inner bearing also? Is that bump indicative of a bad bearing(s). Will it cause the vibration I am talking about? I just tried to call Direct Line for information on the Bearings and they are closed for Labor Day.

Or better yet, should I take the stock tire that I did not have an issue with other than wear and put it back on and see if the wobble still exists? I am reading more and more about Dunlops and bad tires.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Wendel, with 55000 mi. on my Wing, I could stick my finger in the bearings and rotate them and one of them had a real notchy feel to it. I replaced them with the original Honda bearings. When I replaced them, I took an old bearing and put it on a grinding wheel and took a little off the diameter and used it for a driver. I also placed the bearings in a freezer for a few hours to shrink them and also used a heat gun on the hub to expand it. When first installed they will feel tight until they break in. It's really not a bad job, go for it.
Jakec

·
Registered
199 Posts
Bearing

I Weendel

I would be surprised if your bearings before the cause of your noise and vibration.

I have 40.000 km on my Wing my bearings is Ok , and I have 3 Elite, and its vibration grondage and your Elite 3 tire that vibrates and grondre, especially in corners and along highway yard.

FlyBoy2121:thumbup:

My questions are:

This is something I did and thus do not want to deal with warranty since it is not a defect. Even if it were, I would rather handle myself for as inexpensive as the repair will be.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
wheel bearings

Wendel,

I replaced mine last winter at 60k with the all balls. It wasn't needed and I doubt that I'll ever need to again. The A-B are sealed, so no packing. Also, with the way they are kept in the wheel, I doubt that they were damaged by your mishap when removing the wheel. I'm not sure what they charged for balancing, but since you seem to be a hands on type, I'd advise you balance yourself. Tools to balance are less than the cost of a couple of balances around here.

Richard

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am considering buying the balancing equipment. Only problem is I do not have a place to mount a tire changing station permanently. I could put the mounting holes in the patio and move yet another tool into the house. Just got a 351W block and stand out of the house. Otherwise it is only a couple more dollars to have it balanced when mounted. Still seriously considering the idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts