GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you bought the air bag model were you told anything about not being able to mount any aftermarket things on the handle bars?

In thinking about this I was wondering about XM radios or Butler mugs.

Would they defeat the purpose of the air bag by not letting it work properly?

Just looking for any comments or thoughts on this.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
jwen said:
When you bought the air bag model were you told anything about not being able to mount any aftermarket things on the handle bars?
In thinking about this I was wondering about XM radios or Butler mugs.
Would they defeat the purpose of the air bag by not letting it work properly?
Just looking for any comments or thoughts on this.
Thanks
Comment:
anything mounted between you and airbag becomes a potential source of lethal impalement.

Dennis

W

·
0 Posts
Offen wondered about this same thing.
What does Honda say about it in the manuel?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I asked my dealer when I bought mine and he asked his service rep and no one ever came up with an answer so I went ahead and mounted both my butler cup and xm radio. The xm radio I know won't be a problem and I think the butler cup will just bust off and go flying upwards, but I might be wrong.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That seems to be the case with the dealer not sure.

Maybe some one will chime in that has a definate ans.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
My dealer said it's best not to block it in. Duh! lol
He said he really didn't know for sure one way or the other. At least he was honest, lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dealer says not to put anything on the tank. Didn't seem worried about the handlebars (although he isn't the one riding). They did caution me against just about any addons to the forks, not sure why other than the sensors and wiring.

Hope he is correct, impression of XM receiver from the handlebars may not help my looks. :wink:

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
actually mounting STUFF on the handlebars can b painful and dangerous weather u have the airbag or not

·
Registered
211 Posts
The manual only states not to mount anything onto the gas tank, like a tank bag. I can find nothing find about mounting stuff on handlebars.

Pete

C

·
0 Posts
OWing said:
They did caution me against just about any addons to the forks, not sure why other than the sensors and wiring.

I would guess that the inertia of stiffer, or lighter springs in the forks, (Traxxion... etc...) would not be calibrated for the airbag sensor. Possibly causeing it to activate at wrong times in an accident cycle.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently the fender is a different shape with the air bag model as well.

In checking with Road Trip Essentials they do not make a fender extension for the air bag model due to the cost to retool for just that fender.

From the comments so far it sounds although not recomended that an XM and the Butler might be OK but it is just a guess as no one will say for sure.

The XM can be put on a Ram ball on the brake reservoir but the Butler mug is a differant animal all together.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The gas generators used to inflate airbags are essentially small rocket motors... as such they produce an enormous amount of gas at high speed. This is why the bags inflate so quickly. If something is mounted in the way of an inflating bag there are several possible outcomes. First, the object in the way of the inflating bag could break free and the bag would continue to inflate, albiet at a potentially different rate. Second, the bag could inflate incorrectly, thus not being as effective as designed. Third the bag could possiblly rip. Or fourth, the bag could still be as effective as designed. If you're paying the bucks for the airbag, why take the chance?

I'll revert back to my previous post... use common sense. If you're going to mount something to your handlebars on an airbag equipped wing, make sure its mounted to the outside of the bars. The bag inflates between the two bars so anything on the outside should be ok.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
John, I foresee Sarah planting a big bump on your head!

Besides, you are not due for another Wing until 2008!!

Why the hurry?

:duck:

C

·
0 Posts
jwen said:
In checking with Road Trip Essentials they do not make a fender extension for the air bag model due to the cost to retool for just that fender.
Does Roadtrip essentials actually Manufacture anything?
I thought they just reapainted (very well I might add) Kury parts

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RTE apparently owns the castings that make the extensions if I understood the lady correctly. She said that ten thousand dollors to be able to make one for the air bag model was not feasable. I do agree and really like any of their products. As far as do they actually produce them I don't know but apparently they own the molds.

Hey Curtis you are right but she never ever gets on the puter. Ain't I lucky?

I also agree that common sence must prevail and would not want to defeat the purpose of the bag. That being said I just wanted to get a feel as to how owners or people thinking of this bike view installing certain accessories.

All good input and I have not decided as of yet if I will be buying one. The other problem is if I have to go to a trike then the air bag model can't be used.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts