GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious to know if anyone on this fourm had ever been contacted by Honda to provide input or fill out a survey in regards to what we wanted from the new Wing. I have owned mine for 17 years and no avenue has ever been provided to me for giving any input.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm thinking it would only apply to those that have purchased a new one at some point?

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I was curious to know if anyone on this fourm had ever been contacted by Honda to provide input or fill out a survey in regards to what we wanted from the new Wing. I have owned mine for 17 years and no avenue has ever been provided to me for giving any input.
I have owned two Goldwings (2002/2010) and never had Honda ask me any such questions!

All's I know is that I loved them both, very much...............

I just triked out my 2010 (Roadsmith) and can't wipe that "sugar eating" grin off my face............

If I didn't just convert to three, I'd be all over that 2018 (in a heart beat)

Ronnie

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
I personally have never been offered any avenue to tell Honda what I thought, but looking at the 2018, it seems obvious that Honda has either used surveys or watches forums like this.
Many of the things that people have been saying that they wanted to see on a new Goldwing have materialized on the new model.

Among other things, people here have said they want a lighter Goldwing, and they got it
Electrically adjustable windscreen. Got it
Bluetooth. Got it
Additional gears. Got it
Better suspension, Got it.

There are a few things on the 2018 that I don't get, but there are always going to be trade offs, and this is the initial release. Future generations of this model may address some of those shortcomings.

For me, the only thing I have really looked at on the new model is the DCT and new front end.

With the exception of the airbag, I have never bought a bike based on gadgets that it comes with.
I didn't even know or care that my first Goldwing had a real cruise control until after I pulled the trigger on it. Just wanted a comfortable two up long distance bike. Other features were just not a factor in my decision making process.

Reactions: Sladep

·
Registered
756 Posts
I gave them 25k and change for a 2017 level III. That was all the input I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Swampdonkey

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Honda said their changes were geared toward changes that would attract a younger rider and attract a younger base. If thats true, there wouldn't be many here worth talking with or those that would qualify. Now if they were looking to attract a bunch of whiney, little old ladies that love to gripe, complain and tell a mega corporation whats "best"....they'd be all over this forum.

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
Honda said their changes were geared toward changes that would attract a younger rider and attract a younger base. If thats true, there wouldn't be many here worth talking with or those that would qualify. Now if they were looking to attract a bunch of whiney, little old ladies that love to gripe, complain and tell a mega corporation whats "best"....they'd be all over this forum.
>:)>:)>:)

I would say Honda reads comments on this forum and has incorporated changes to the new wing based on suggestions/comments made here.

:doorag:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
>:)>:)>:)

I would say Honda reads comments on this forum and has incorporated changes to the new wing based on suggestions/comments made here.

Not at all surprised that Honda might read this forum. I'd be surprised if they gave it much weight aside from realizing their intended Goldwing market needed to change.

Reactions: kwthom

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
Not at all surprised that Honda might read this forum. I'd be surprised if they gave it much weight aside from realizing their intended Goldwing market needed to change.
Off hand, I can thing of two distinct items that were mentioned here long before the new wing came out that were incorporated into the new wing; six speed tranny and electrically adjustable windshield.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Off hand, I can thing of two distinct items that were mentioned here long before the new wing came out that were incorporated into the new wing; six speed tranny and electrically adjustable windshield.

I agree..Add to that list, a wannabe car tire. lol
Read some where that Honda spent 9 yrs developing the new wing?
IDK maybe I dreamed it. Doing a lot of that lately. :nerd:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
No I haven't ever got a survey asking for my input, but my local dealer said he did. I truly believe most of what was implemented on the 2018 was just playing catchup to what was trending in the industry, and a need to try something different. I don't believe it was due to input from younger riders who to large extent don't exist. The median age of riders has climbed to 49 years old up from 32 only a couple decades ago. They knew they must do something to reverse that trend and is just throwing things to the wall to see what sticks. Their hopes are that if they make easier and more user friendly that it will attract new users, time will tell.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Yes, Honda has sent me a survey a few times since 2009. Obviously they only survey smart and handsome customers. :grin2:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Reactions: SteelTraveler

·
Registered
207 Posts
I expect Honda has heard of suspension problems being fixed by Traxxion and that riders had to install fork braces and replace steering head bearings.
I believe the GL 1833 has resolved those issues for the new bikes, but I expect the 2001 - 2017 bikes will need these fixes at some point if not already.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts