GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16,723 Posts

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Is there a weather app that can be displayed on the Gold Wings screen through Android Auto that shows weather radar on the screen?
While in the AA app, in settings there is a link for apps to go with AA..all I saw was music, audio books and pod casts apps

·
Registered
718 Posts
I haven't found one.
You can do a search of the play store of all apps compatible with AA and there were none that were obviously weather related.
There could still be other things that you can side load or get from "other" stores, but nothing seems to be fully supported that does that.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
I looked, as I use myradar. Nada.

·
Vendor
21,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to hear this. It really doesn't make any sense to me, why would a moving GPS map display be any less distracting that a radar image? The Rever App on the Iphone is the only one I've heard of that actually shows the weather radar on Apple Car Play. I guess I was hoping Android would be less restrictive, but apparently not.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The funny thing, to me, is that my car provides radar images that I can view while driving. If a car manufacturer's lawyers can sign off on it, I'm not sure why Google/Apple have a problem with it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sorry to hear this. It really doesn't make any sense to me, why would a moving GPS map display be any less distracting that a radar image? The Rever App on the Iphone is the only one I've heard of that actually shows the weather radar on Apple Car Play. I guess I was hoping Android would be less restrictive, but apparently not.
Agree 100%. One of the first things I went looking for once I updated to Android Auto was an app to display the radar. And, of course, there were none to be found. That is how I stumbled on that QandA thread I posted above. However, that thread was a year old, so we never want to say never, but it does not look promising. Perhaps someone will dig up something we missed or something will be developed in the near future.

The radar through XM radio was really great - I used the initial 3 month trial and 2-weeks free a couple times a year on both my 2010 and 2018. However, I refused to ever purchase a subscription because of their really shady pricing/business practices. I was really hoping for some sort of weather radar through Android Auto.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

Fred,
Have you tried a subscription to Rever Pro to see how well it works on the Goldwing through Apple CarPlay?
I hate monthly fees but if it works well, live radar on the Goldwing screen would be a huge advantage on trips.

I gave up on SiriusXM......too many pricing games with customer service.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is there a weather app that can be displayed on the Gold Wings screen through Android Auto that shows weather radar on the screen?
I just ask AA what the weather is in my choice of location and it will tell me. Never needed a weather radar.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I did some research. Like everyone, one of the key aspects of riding is seeing the weather up ahead. Everything I have read, says there is nothing that shows Radar in Android Auto.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Here is some more interesting READING published June 18th 2020. Key quote!

"Does Android Auto have weather radars?

Unfortunately, Android Auto is not built to display weather radars and there is no Android Auto weather radar app. A weather radar is an instrument used to locate precipitation, calculate its motion, intensity, and guess its type (rain, hail, snow).

While weather radars are popular among weather buffs and are available on your Android phone, you cannot find it on Android Auto. Many speculate that this is because of its ability to cause significant distraction and increase the risk of an accident."

To me the implication is that the client app running on the Goldwing, not the individual app on the phone, is what is incapable of displaying weather radar. It is likely things like video may also be disabled for the same reasons.

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
AA can be run on the phone, without being connected to any vehicle.

I have several weather apps that I use, each with radar, that are loaded on my phone.
None of them can be loaded to AA, even when it is not connected to any vehicle.

In AA, there is a tab that leads to the Playstore are the apps that can be downloaded for AA.

I've been unable to find one there that is a weather app, so I'm thinking it's an AA limitation (as per Big_Bird's post of a review)

AA will put the temp and current forecast for the area in the top RH corner of the screen (if the setting is turned on).
Not radar obviously but maybe a little better than no weather info?

I assume all this is similar to what happens with CarPlay??
Please reply if Carplay can do weather radar.

·
Registered
279 Posts
To me the implication is that the client app running on the Goldwing, not the individual app on the phone, is what is incapable of displaying weather radar. It is likely things like video may also be disabled for the same reasons.
The restriction is put there by Google on the phone. You won't find a working radar using AA straight on your phone not hooked up to anything. Nor hooked up to your car. Same is true of other than Google owned navigation.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The AA app on the GW (or any vehicle, for that matter) is rather “dumb”. It doesn’t actually run any of your apps, directly. ALL of the processing occurs on your phone, which then sends a MP4 video stream to the vehicle. The Vehicle is only responsible for displaying the video stream.

Any limitations on what content you can display is entirely enforced by the phone. Nothing prevents you from sideloading your own .apk that displays radar via AA. Same is true with CP — you can write your own app and deploy it to your phone. However, both the Google Play Store and Apple App Store have policies that prohibit certain types of apps from being offered via those markets — and no radar app has yet made it through approval, afaik.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
AA can be run on the phone, without being connected to any vehicle.

I have several weather apps that I use, each with radar, that are loaded on my phone.
None of them can be loaded to AA, even when it is not connected to any vehicle.

In AA, there is a tab that leads to the Playstore are the apps that can be downloaded for AA.

I've been unable to find one there that is a weather app, so I'm thinking it's an AA limitation (as per Big_Bird's post of a review)

AA will put the temp and current forecast for the area in the top RH corner of the screen (if the setting is turned on).
Not radar obviously but maybe a little better than no weather info?

I assume all this is similar to what happens with CarPlay??
Please reply if Carplay can do weather radar.
Supposedly Rever will display weather radar on Apple CarPlay, that's what their website says.......
I was hoping someone would chime in on how well it works before I spring some $$

1 - 20 of 37 Posts