GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
The AA app on the GW (or any vehicle, for that matter) is rather “dumb”. It doesn’t actually run any of your apps, directly. ALL of the processing occurs on your phone, which then sends a MP4 video stream to the vehicle. The Vehicle is only responsible for displaying the video stream.

Any limitations on what content you can display is entirely enforced by the phone. Nothing prevents you from sideloading your own .apk that displays radar via AA. Same is true with CP — you can write your own app and deploy it to your phone. However, both the Google Play Store and Apple App Store have policies that prohibit certain types of apps from being offered via those markets — and no radar app has yet made it through approval, afaik.
Sorry, your phone does NOT send an MP4 video stream to the vehicle. If it were just a video stream there wouldn't be an ability to process inputs from the Wing. While I agree the client (Goldwing) side of the application is relatively simple, it still receives data from and sends data to your phone. Which makes it a client/server application. If you like more information about Google Android Auto technology, HERE is the place to start.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sorry, your phone does NOT send an MP4 video stream to the vehicle. If it were just a video stream there wouldn't be an ability to process inputs from the Wing. While I agree the client (Goldwing) side of the application is relatively simple, it still receives data from and sends data to your phone. Which makes it a client/server application. If you like more information about Google Android Auto technology, HERE is the place to start.
I do this for a living (I'm a senior engineer with over a decade of experience in this field).
CarPlay ABSOLUTELY runs on the phone, and the "display" on your vehicle is simply a MP4 stream. Yes, it sends basic X/Y coordinates for touch, and it can send an audio stream to the phone (mic) for Siri/Google Assistant. But there is ZERO application processing at the vehicle end. The vehicle has NO IDEA what type of content is being generated on the screen. It's just displaying the MP4 stream the phone is sending it. Therefore, the vehicle has no way to enforce any rules, such as "no weather radar". Any such rules are enforced entirely by the phone.

Don't believe me? How about proof, directly from Apple, themselves: Advances in CarPlay Systems - WWDC 2019 - Videos - Apple Developer. Right after timestamp 1:00 they clearly say that the iPhone sends a H.264 video stream that is rendered by the vehicle. And in case you don't know, H.264 is MPEG-4 Part 10 Advanced Video Coding (AVC)... Often referred to simply as "MP4". Advanced Video Coding - Wikipedia

If you want Android-specific, here's a tutorial that says the same thing: "Android auto is just a remote screen. Nothing is generated by the car display. A H264 video stream is generated by the Android App on the smartphone."
Control your plugs with bluetooth and bash scripts. And here's a second source: DIY Android Auto Headunit - Michael Dornisch

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I do this for a living (I'm a senior engineer with over a decade of experience in this field).
CarPlay ABSOLUTELY runs on the phone, and the "display" on your vehicle is simply a MP4 stream. Yes, it sends basic X/Y coordinates for touch, and it can send an audio stream to the phone (mic) for Siri/Google Assistant. But there is ZERO application processing at the vehicle end. The vehicle has NO IDEA what type of content is being generated on the screen. It's just displaying the MP4 stream the phone is sending it. Therefore, the vehicle has no way to enforce any rules, such as "no weather radar". Any such rules are enforced entirely by the phone.

Don't believe me? How about proof, directly from Apple, themselves: Advances in CarPlay Systems - WWDC 2019 - Videos - Apple Developer. Right after timestamp 1:00 they clearly say that the iPhone sends a H.264 video stream that is rendered by the vehicle. And in case you don't know, H.264 is MPEG-4 Part 10 Advanced Video Coding (AVC)... Often referred to simply as "MP4". Advanced Video Coding - Wikipedia

If you want Android-specific, here's a tutorial that says the same thing: "Android auto is just a remote screen. Nothing is generated by the car display. A H264 video stream is generated by the Android App on the smartphone."
Control your plugs with bluetooth and bash scripts. And here's a second source: DIY Android Auto Headunit - Michael Dornisch
Kyle, I think you killed that one dead.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
So @KYLEBR or others, accepting that remote screen configuration, there's still something needed to close the deal. Are you aware of a sideloadable app that will work with AA (or the screen directly) and...

-- is a weather app with radar?

-- is a more generic screen-thrower app that will throw output screen from another app?

·
Registered
203 Posts

Kyle, now if you can cure Honda's crappy high frequency rolloff with their Bluetooth you'd be the king of the motorcycle world, at least in the Goldwing community. Glad to see someone with a technical background that could figure this out. I'm sticking with the Android phone as my infotainment center as it beats all the nonsense Honda did to cripple theirs.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts

So, if some guy in his spare time in 2016, with a Pixel 6, can build an emulator with a simple H.264 codec, why haven't companies with a lot more resources, built applications to use the MP4 protocol to display weather? Having 30 years experience in the industry in charge of architecture and application development, I find the simple things aren't always as advertised, especially by the senior engineers.

·
Registered
279 Posts
So, if some guy in his spare time in 2016, with a Pixel 6, can build an emulator with a simple H.264 codec, why haven't companies with a lot more resources, built applications to use the MP4 protocol to display weather? Having 30 years experience in the industry in charge of architecture and application development, I find the simple things aren't always as advertised, especially by the senior engineers.
It would appear they have AA apps locked to the Google Store. So they are perhaps signing them when the go up so AA won't recognize them. However they are doing it, it is clear they require a Google stamp of approval before AA will recognize them.

On the page they also specifically ban animation in apps that can be distracting. That explains the lack of third party Nav apps.

I would think we could beat this with a side loaded app if the phone was rooted, but is a very limited market.

Important: Apps must meet the criteria listed in this page to qualify as an Android Auto app on Google Play. Apps don't work with Android Automotive OS or Android Auto unless they are installed from the Play Store.

·
Vendor
21,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The funny thing, to me, is that my car provides radar images that I can view while driving. If a car manufacturer's lawyers can sign off on it, I'm not sure why Google/Apple have a problem with it.
Yea, that has always puzzled me as well. It makes zero sense to me.

I just ask AA what the weather is in my choice of location and it will tell me. Never needed a weather radar.
Having someone tell you there is a 40% chance of strong thunderstorms is not the same as being able to look down at your display and see exactly where the rain is located and how strong it is so you can route around it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ok, found a way over on XDA, an Android development forum, to enable non Google approved apps to work on AA. But the app has to be written to work on AA and released outside of the store.

Have not found a radar app yet that meets that criteria. Still looking.

And yes, it requires a rooted phone which I have.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Are you aware of a sideloadable app that will work with AA (or the screen directly) and...
-- is a weather app with radar?
-- is a more generic screen-thrower app that will throw output screen from another app?
I've thought about building such a weather app, however, Apple's current rules will prevent it from being released. All I could do is record a video showing you it working in the iOS simulator -- which doesn't really help GW owners.

I may still do it as a fun exercise... But to set reasonable expectations, it would (at best) only demonstrate that it can be done -- something that most people already acknowledge.
It's a basic issue of capitalism, right? Why would a big company go through that effort if they can't put the app in the Google Play Store? They won't make any money on it. Even if they wanted to release it outside of the store, they'd have a separate list of problems. Many mainstream phones don't let you side load apps, by default -- so now you have to educate people on how to do that. But then you have a group of less-tech-savvy people whose phones are now less-secure and more vulnerable to malware and such. And if you pull it off, now you've got Google pissed off at you. With their massive bankroll, innumerable attorneys on retainer, and deep pools of personal data they hold on everyone, I wouldn't want to be in Google's crosshairs!

Ok, found a way over on XDA, an Android development forum, to enable non Google approved apps to work on AA. But the app has to be written to work on AA and released outside of the store.

Have not found a radar app yet that meets that criteria. Still looking.

And yes, it requires a rooted phone which I have.
I'm sure it exists -- even if it's just someone's pet project.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The ban seems to be against animation.

What if the radar app only provided a static snapshot of last weather when summoned? Do you think it would past muster on AA / Play Store and maybe get you beer money on top of the proof of concept?

·
Registered
314 Posts
The ban seems to be against animation.
Apple Human Interface Guidelines for CarPlay allow animation, although it specifies animation should be used "judiciously"; to "strive for realism and credibility"; be "consistent"; and "optional". Animation - Visual Design - CarPlay - Human Interface Guidelines - Apple Developer

What if the radar app only provided a static snapshot of last weather when summoned? Do you think it would past muster on AA / Play Store and maybe get you beer money on top of the proof of concept?
My interpretation of the Human Interface Guidelines is that animation must be "optional", and if a user enables the "reduce motion" toggle in the accessibility preferences, then the app should minimize or eliminate animations.

I don't want to make any promises and end up disappointing anyone... But the more I think about it, the more I think it would be fun to build a proof-of-concept. I could then submit it to Apple and see if they'll approve it, or not. I suspect they won't -- but if I'm bored I may take a shot, anyway.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Okay, so I spent about 10 minutes throwing together a quick proof-of-concept. I will warn you that this is absolutely hideous! The point wasn't to make something "pretty" but rather simply to prove that it can be done (and do so as quickly as possible). The app simply pulls the "current" national radar image from the National Weather Service (NWS - National Mosaic Radar Image: Full Resolution Loop) and displays it within CarPlay. Obviously, this isn't that useful, in it's current form... Ideally, I would grab the current location from the GPS, load the radar map centered on that point and zoomed in to a reasonable scale, then provide the ability to pan the map and zoom in/out. These are all relatively straight-forward problems to solve, and were neither necessary nor interesting for my purposes, today. Instead, I'm just demonstrating that there are no technical limitations preventing weather radar imagery from being displayed via CarPlay. The limitation is simply Apple/Google not wanting to allow it.

I have done some cursory browsing of the respective App Store policies, and Apple is even more restrictive than I thought. It seems that only navigation, audio, communication, EV charging, and quick-food-ordering apps are granted CarPlay entitlements, right now. And even then, the app must be primarily for that purpose -- extraneous fluff must not be accessible via CarPlay. The chances of getting something like this released in a way that people could use it is pretty much "impossible" in the current climate.

·
Registered
279 Posts
What is a rooted phone?
In Apple terms it is Jail Breaking, if that helps.

Busting the security on your phone so you have full control over it, so as to get around Google's restrictions...well at least some of them.

Most Android phones can not be rooted. I buy mine directly from Google so that I can. Kind of amusing that you buy it from them so you can get around them.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
For now, just pull over and look at the weather radar on the phone....

Might even be a good time to consult a Rand McNally or other 'traditional map device' to figure out a route around the weather. (given the limitation (irritation?) trying to view where minor roads lead to when zoomed out on GPS to a reasonable distance)

Might also be a good time to crack open the rain gear...

21 - 37 of 37 Posts