GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bobnpaso, in my earlier thread about hunting my coolant leak, you stated you hook the small vacuum/pressure pump to the overflow on the right radiator. I'm just trying to clarify before I do something wrong, but the overflow would be the hose going to the coolant bottle under the bike, right, and I'm thinking if I take it off at the filler neck and hook the pump up to the neck it would be on the top side of the spring and seal of the radiator cap, thus only pressurizing above the actual radiator. Did I miss-understand what you're saying, or has my dumb-azz desease kicked in again? Hey, I really appreciate all this broad wealth of knowledge I'm gettin' here. I'd hate to think what it woulda cost me at the Honda shop to get this done, more fun this way too!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I would go down to your local Auto store and buy a proper radiator pressure pump. There are some shops that have rental tools, Canadian Tire does. Take your rad cap with you to ensure you get the correct fitting tool. If you cannot rent or borrow the tool then bite the bullet and buy one, I have seen them for around $25.
Chances are the leak is at one of the hose clamps under the gas tank. It took me a long time to get rid of my leaks, it would hold 20 psi for 3 hours and then drop. I even took a file and removed the casting lines on a few of the fittings and replaced all hose clamps with wider SS clamps. I have done the same to a few other wings as well, I find that most clamps from the factory are too loose. Been leak free for four years now.

Good Luck

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cal-D. I think I'll go check our local Advance Auto Parts store, I think they have some type of loaner program. If they don't loan these, I'll just see if I can buy one somewhere, then I'll have it later should I , or any of my friends ever need it again.

·
Vendor
19,715 Posts
He was talking about the return hose from the radiator. You are correct that if you did it the way you understood it, the results would be as you expected. The coolant system has to me pressuized from the lower radiator cap seal down and putting presure from any hose other then the overflow to the recovery tank will accomplish this.

You may just want to pull the fuel tank and tighten/replace the clamps as well as the clamps on the back and top of each head. Those are accessable under the chrome side covers.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He was talking about the return hose from the radiator. You are correct that if you did it the way you understood it, the results would be as you expected. The coolant system has to me pressuized from the lower radiator cap seal down and putting presure from any hose other then the overflow to the recovery tank will accomplish this.

You may just want to pull the fuel tank and tighten/replace the clamps as well as the clamps on the back and top of each head. Those are accessable under the chrome side covers.
Got-R-Done, I think, but went about tightening the hose clamps under the fuel tank a little different than what I've seen here. After trying for a half hour to get to the bottom three, I removed the crankcase breather hoses from the bottom of the airbox, drained my coolant, since I was to change it anyway, then removed the coolant line from the top of the thermostat and folded it up out of the way, moved the piece of rubber aside and there were the bottom 3 clamps, much easier to get at. I've made me a pump out of an old bycycle tire pump with some fittings to go on the small hose under the radiator cap with a guage so after I refill the cooling system I can pump it up and shut a valve in the line and if it holds pressure, all will be fine again. Oh, I lost a little coolant that didn't drain out above the thermostat, but not too much. Doing it this way just seemed to work better for me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hello *******,
Yes you are correct. I attached the pump hose to the overflow connection at the neck of the radiator.
When the engine warms up, it builds pressure and excess fluid flows to the overflow. When the bike cools, and the pressure is gone due to no heat, it draws the fluid back into the radiator. So by applying pressure to the overflow tube, is like having a vacuum on the radiator. The cap will allow you to pressurize the system. I questioned it myself before I did it. But it works. Since you are pressurizing against the cap, there is no pressure relief, that is why I only went to 10 PSI on the hand pump.
Sorry to be late answering you, I see others helped also.
That is the good part of this board, you do get help.
Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.