GL1800Riders Forums banner

Regarding replacing tires with existing Centramatics installed

• I remove the Centramatics before balancing the tires to get a baseline then put them back on

• I leave the Centramatics on and still try to balance the new tires just in case

• I just mount the tires and don't worry because I have that much faith in my Centramatics

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you buy new tires, do you balance your tires with the Centramatics removed to get a baseline balance before the Centramatics adds their magic? Or do you no longer need to balance because you have the Centramatics on there and just mount and go?

·
Super Moderator
9,400 Posts
I don't bother with balancing. I don't mind those clamp weights so much but I really hate the stick-on type. I just prefer not having any of that on my wheels. And the instructions for the Centramatics say not to balance, I believe. As long as the tire is installed correctly there should be no problems.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I just let the centramatics do their job. Gone thru 7-8 sets of tires in 130,000 miles. Smooth be as churned butter. I do have to remove the rear centramatic to remove the rear wheel. I then "stuff" the fresh tire/wheel up into the well and then slide the centramatic onto the hub.

·
Registered
614 Posts
When I had mine installed Bob said don't balance the tire, let the Centamatics take care of the balancing act.

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
1,097 Posts
Not sure I understand part of your original question. You said, "...do you balance your tires with the Centramatics removed..." I'm confused because if we indeed chose to balance the tires at all, it would seem that all of us would have to balance the tires WITH THE CENTRAMATICS REMOVED.
I mean, how would we balance the tires with the Centramatics on them? They mount to the studs, not the wheels. The forum has discussed this before and the consensus is that we are supposed to delete balancing all together and let the Centramatics work their magic, as you put it.

Do you think that perhaps you should ask if we balance our tires in addition to using the Centramatics... or not? Balancing the wheels without the Centramatics attached (to them) is a given, since there's no way to do so, and even if we could, stationary Centramatics would throw the whole balancing process out of whack, as they don't work their magic until they are rotating at a reasonable speed.

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
Semantics aside, the whole purpose of centramantics or balancing beads is to "balance" the tire. It would be redundant to add additional weights. Rather defeats the purpose of using them.

Reactions: remoandiris

·
Super Moderator
9,400 Posts
Not sure I understand part of your original question. You said, "...do you balance your tires with the Centramatics removed..." I'm confused because if we indeed chose to balance the tires at all, it would seem that all of us would have to balance the tires WITH THE CENTRAMATICS REMOVED.
I mean, how would we balance the tires with the Centramatics on them? They mount to the studs, not the wheels. The forum has discussed this before and the consensus is that we are supposed to delete balancing all together and let the Centramatics work their magic, as you put it.

Do you think that perhaps you should ask if we balance our tires in addition to using the Centramatics... or not? Balancing the wheels without the Centramatics attached to them is a given, since there's no way to do so, and even if we could, stationary Centramatics would throw the whole balancing process out of whack, as they don't work their magic until they are rotating at a reasonable speed.
The Centramatics are attached to the wheel on the front, sandwiched between the wheel and the brake rotors. But you're right - trying to balance with Centramatics attached makes no sense.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Since I am obsessive about things like that, if I was using Centramatics, I would balance the wheels first with the Centramatics off (establish a baseline as you said). Then once they are on they aren't really having to do much of anything to help balance the wheel, until the wheel starts going out of balance due to tire wear or whatever. But since most tires are very close to balanced when new anyways, it probably doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
WVGuy, after you’ve installed a set of Centramatics on the front wheel I’d imagine you, or whomever you employ to do your tire changes, will quickly decide that using wheel weights and Centramatics is not a good idea. That and you’ll need/want to maintain a fairly significant inventory of brake rotor bolts as they’re supposed to be replaced after one use.
I’d recommend either using Centramatics on the front wheel -or- use wheel weights, but not both.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Balancing the wheels AND having Centramatics is a total waste of time. energy and money -
The front wheel has the Centramatics mounted to the wheel behind the rotor - If you going to take them off every time -- ?
WHY BOTHER - you will create more problems than you solve -
The rear wheel at least the Centramatic disk is NOT mounted to the wheel itself - you can do it -- but it's wasted energy --

Just get them on the rim - pay attention to the dot and line it up with the valve stem - ride - ride - ride

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
1,097 Posts
THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK, FELLERS. I was wrong, indeed the Centramatic disk is attached to the front wheel. Guess I was thinking about the rear wheel where it mounts to the studs. But something I forgot to mention: I assume there is good reason for the manufacturer to say DO NOT use balance weights along with the Centramatics. Not sure I understand exactly why, but that is what they said. That said, it would seem impossible to balance a wheel with a Centramtic mounted to it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure I understand exactly why, but that is what they said. That said, it would seem impossible to balance a wheel with a Centramtic mounted to it.
Good observation and I would ask the same thing.

But I know it would be possible to balance a wheel with a centramatics on. It would appear to me that the front wheel with a Centramatics would always balance out with or without weights.

But the rear would not balance off the bike without weights since the rear gets balanced without a Centramatics and then gets the added benefit of it when put on with it. Perhaps trust it and just not balance the rear or tell the installer not to balance it?

With the front having it mounted beneath the right rotor it is not feasible to remove it for every tire change. So perhaps it is just easier to not add additional weight to the front wheel since the Centramatic will take care of it. So leave the front naked of weights?

But I await a response from those smarter than me on this topic.

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
1,097 Posts
...But I know it would be possible to balance a wheel with a Centramatic on. It would appear to me that the front wheel with a Centramatics would always balance out with or without weights...
Consider this MT, a centramatic disk has a number of balls inside. They are free to shift around on their own in an oil bath within the disk. Let's consider mounting a wheel to a balancer with a Centramatic mounted to it. Where will these balls be located? And if the wheel was removed from the balancer, would not the balls within the Centramatic move? And what if it were put back on the balancer? Would they be in the same place again? Seems to me this could never work. Wouldn't moving balls skew the balancing process?

·
Super Moderator
9,400 Posts
With Centramatics on the balancer, the wheel would be balanced no matter what you do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts