GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I switched to E3s over the summer. I like them just fine and enjoy the faster tip-in compared to the Bridgestones, BUT ... I do notice that they also feel more tippy at slow speeds. I wobble on them at parking lot speeds, say, under 20 mph. It is hard to be smooth at those speeds with the E3s. No problems being smooth at normal traveling speeds. Anybody else notice this? Could it be something else? Pressure is 41 back, 38 front and the front is showing a bit of a flat spot in the center. Just wondering if this is normal for the Dunlop or something mechanical to worry about.

image.jpg

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I have not noticed anything at parking lot speeds, but I have been running E3's for so long, that I may just be used to it.

The flat wear on the center is not unusual, especially if you run a lot of highway miles. You might consider bumping your pressure on your front tire.I run 40 on mine, on't get the singing that some complain about and get to 18,000 out of a set.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I don't recall any low-speed issues when I ran E3s.

As mentioned, lots of highway miles will flatten the center. Then, as the miles accumulate, the E3s "find their voice" - it starts out as a hum and gradually becomes a roar. Do not be alarmed.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Haven't experienced what you posted but as bgross mentioned as they wear they will start singing to you. :lol:

·
Registered
199 Posts
So, I switched to E3s over the summer. I like them just fine and enjoy the faster tip-in compared to the Bridgestones, BUT ... I do notice that they also feel more tippy at slow speeds. I wobble on them at parking lot speeds, say, under 20 mph. It is hard to be smooth at those speeds with the E3s. No problems being smooth at normal traveling speeds. Anybody else notice this? Could it be something else? Pressure is 41 back, 38 front and the front is showing a bit of a flat spot in the center. Just wondering if this is normal for the Dunlop or something mechanical to worry about.

View attachment 73042
Paul: what is a "Tip-in"?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul: what is a "Tip-in"?
Tip In is the initial part of the turn from straight up to leaned over.

I find the E3s take less effort to Tip Into a turn compared to the Bridgestones.

Probably because of the profile of the rear tire.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts

View attachment 73042
I tried one set of Stones on the Wing. All the rest have been E3's and my perception is exactly the opposite of yours. I find the E3's have a much more "planted" feel and the Stones seemed very "tippy" at slow speed. At a faster speed, I enjoyed the faster tip-in on the Stones; but at slow speed, the Stones felt "tippy" like I was riding on a knife's edge.

I preferred the more "planted" feel of the E3's, so I switched back. Kinda weird that my perception was exactly the opposite of yours. :shrug:

Edit: Keep my pressure at 39 frt and 41 rear.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I purchased a 2010 that E3,s, cannot wait to get them off and put Stones on. I to, have the low speed wooble, never had that issue with the stones.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
The tippy at slow speeds is something you will get used to as far as Center wear on rear I have seen pressures is 52-53 when riding in heat, like the tires and got good milage, it's undoing for me was the noise at the 30-50 speeds, yea think they could make a quieter tire

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Original Poster here. I may have found my problem, or most of it.

I've been working on my slow speed skills and wondered how slowly I was going when the E3s started to feel wobbly. So, on the way home yesterday, every time I felt "wobbly," I looked down to check my speed. Turns out those nasty E3s "wobble" at 5-10 mph. At that speed, most any motorcycle is going to feel tippy or wobbly.

On the good side, my low speed skills must be getting better if I'm comfortable enough to worry about my tires at 5 mph. On the bad side, DUH! Every bike feels unstable at very low speeds. Nature of the beast. My solution is to accelerate faster. Now, this weird thing keeps happening: every time I get the bike up to 6,000 rpm, the engine suddenly starts to SKIP and STUDDER! What's THAT all about?

:joke:

Just picking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts