GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fred what year was the change made to the audio system to stop the IC pickup problem?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,369 Posts
Sorry, not Fred, but I do know the part numbers for 01-04 are all the same and the 05 has a new number. :D

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks wasn't sure if it was 05 or 06. My 04 has developed the dreaded IC pickup noise. Had it to the dealer for service and asked to check. Honda said it was because of the helmet/ boom mike and I had the mute set to high. I saw a used 05 audio unit on ebay for $80.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
I have not tested an 05, so I don't know if it is fixed on them or not. I have tested an 06, and the microphonics problem is definetly fixed on the 06 models.

It would be an easy thing to test. Find an 05, put on the headset and turn on the ignition. Turn the intercom volume all the way up, and then tap your finger on the gas tank lid and see if you can hear it in the headset.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Fred, I thought 06 was when you said they fixed it, guy on E-bay has a unit for 500 from 06, I'll keep looking.

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
You better check all the pin out wiring on the 06 model before you spend big bucks on a new audio unit. With the addition of the new amp, I would not be at all suprised to find that some of the wiring in the harness has changed. This COULD mean that an 06 Audio unit will not be compatible with the wiring harness connectors on previous models.

You would need to carefully examine the pin out numbers and signal names on all the wires for both models to make sure something hasn't changed.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which is one of my fears, hench I don't want to spend over a $100 or so for the unit. I know there isn't a market for the audio units so I just need to keep looking for a salavge yard with a 06.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Fred will do, riding season is almost over, I need another project to keep me going this winter.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,369 Posts
Fred, do you know if anyone has taken the radio unit apart to isolate this issue? Audio issues such as this should be easy to narrow down and repair, if Honda's engineers can find it and fix it in the later models then there's got to be a way to mod the older ones. :?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Ah, if it were ony a simple thing techdude2000. If the wrong type of capacitors were spec'd in the design, they could be the source of the microphonics. That would make it a much more difficult fix for the versions experiencing the problem. I've thought about subjecting one of the circuit boards to a very heavy coat of humiseal, or sticking on something like dynomat, to see if it would dampen the sensitivity to the mechanically induced modulation. All speculations of course.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts