GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fred ,

I know that you mounted a GPS to the brake fluid resevoir using a ram ball with a 3/8x16 stud onto your Kaw . My question is to you sir , how did it work out ? I am interested in doing the same . TIA Meerkat (Clint )

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've got one of these and was thinking about trying to JB weld it to the top of the reservoir rather than drilling through the lid.

Anyone try this? Do you think the JB weld would be strong enough to hold for use with a digital camera or a gps?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I saw a post here about mounting the ball to the area above the radio where the Goldwing sticker is. I did this and it works great with a lot less vibration than I had on the handlebars.

·
Registered
250 Posts
How about a reservoir screw in the end of a ball, and then you can have 2 balls solidly screwed into the reservoir.

·
Vendor
22,244 Posts
I hack-sawed the ram ball off the triangular mount. Then I tapped the hole in the center of it and drilled a hole in the reservoir lid and ran a screw up through the lid and into the ball, with a little threadlock on the screw.

I've mounted an old 8mm video camera to it, which was fairly heavy, and ridden literally thousands of miles over all kinds of roads with it without an issue. I've also had my 376c GPS mounted to it for over 150K miles. Never had a single problem.

By the way, a new reservoir lid costs a whopping $19 from Hal, so if you mess it up, its not the end of the world.

Ram also sells balls by themselves that are already threaded, so you don't have to hack one off a mount.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ram also sells balls by themselves that are already threaded, so you don't have to hack one off a mount.
It's be real handy if that thread in the ball matched the thread on the reservoir cover screw so you could just run a piece of all thread?

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I hack-sawed the ram ball off the triangular mount. Then I tapped the hole in the center of it and drilled a hole in the reservoir lid and ran a screw up through the lid and into the ball, with a little threadlock on the screw.

I've mounted an old 8mm video camera to it, which was fairly heavy, and ridden literally thousands of miles over all kinds of roads with it without an issue. I've also had my 376c GPS mounted to it for over 150K miles. Never had a single problem.

By the way, a new reservoir lid costs a whopping $19 from Hal, so if you mess it up, its not the end of the world.

I mounted one of those RAM adapter balls on both my clutch and brake reservoirs. Works just fine.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
I've got one of these and was thinking about trying to JB weld it to the top of the reservoir rather than drilling through the lid.
Drill the holes. It'll be a lot more robust. I originally had one like Fred, with a single post through the top of the lid, but the weight of my 2820 eventually cause the single bolt to break, and I nearly lost the 2820. I got a ram-ball with the diamond base, drilled two holes, mounted it nice and solid (3 years ago) and never looked back.

Whatever you use, make sure it's good and solid..., and if you feel the need for a tether, then you need to rethink your plan. :lol:

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
It's be real handy if that thread in the ball matched the thread on the reservoir cover screw so you could just run a piece of all thread?

Danger of this is that the tread is about half that as on the ball so it wont be as strong if you were to over tighten or overload and it snapped off you would then have a master cylinder that may need replacing

·
Registered
250 Posts
Good point, Pete....that would be a weak spot. Although you could get the broken piece out with an ez-out, you're talking about making filings near a place you don't want filings. And the screw threads are probably a lot less stout than I am imagining them being.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I used the ram ball like the picture and siliconed it to the dash and attached a tether to the vent almost 6 months now no problems. The only drawbacks are not seeing the speedo, but I have one on the gps, you can see the tach just fine. Want a picture send me a email address and I will send you one fron my i-phone.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I'm glad this discussion came up...

I was getting ready to order one of these:

RAM Ball Reservoir Cover

I was looking at the single-ball mount. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Bob

·
Registered
889 Posts
I was gonna get one as well but they are out of stock on the singles:(

Randall
Randall,

I've been using a single ball mount on the clutch side for several years. I've had the same one on the clutch master cylinder on a Yamaha RSV, a GL1500, and now a GL1800. It has worked very well there. I have not seen the ones shown here with the two balls mounted. My concern has been that I not carry anything there that gets too heavy, since there is some vibration and leverage, especially when one hits a hard bump.

I also use the style that mounts on the switch housing mount at the handlebar. That one has the potential to hold a bit more weight, IMO. Either location will reflect the vibration present at the ends of the handlebar. Sometimes my GPS mounted on the clutch reservoir required me to place my hand on it to reduce the fuzziness caused by the vibration so I could read the screen. I wondered if the GPS would survive the vibration, but so far (7/8 years of use ... Garmin Zumo) I have had not problems with that.

The single mount sold by RAM to replace the cover on either fluid reservoir on your handlbars is very solid and well made. No worries there, IMO.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Anyone try this? Do you think the JB weld would be strong enough to hold for use with a digital camera or a gps?

I would think JB weld would be a bad idea, however, I would also think you could attach it with some two part epoxy and with proper prep it would hold forever...

It would look like crap though.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I was gonna get one as well but they are out of stock on the singles:(

Randall
I have been ordering all my RAM parts from Mount Depot lately. They are a good company to deal with and have fast shipping. Prices are comparable or even a little less than directly from RAM. It's also easier to find what you are looking for on their website.

But I guess you were talking about the single ball mounts from Motorcycle Larry?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts