GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to save some time researching this.

For you guys that routinely use IR temp guns to measure your tire temps, what is the expected/projected temp inside the tire.

For example, if you take the tire's temp and it reads say, 120 degress, what is the temp inside the tire? Is the temp higher/lower inside the tire and what would the expected difference be?

TIA

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
inside tire temp is hotter than outside tire temp

i.e. my front wheel
outside temp (IR gun) reads about 105 after some spirited riding

... way back when i had the Smarttire installed (inside the tire sensor),
it would often be over 130

Dennis

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I have no clue Travel! All I know is that the pressure increases around 1lb for every 10 degrees the outside temperature goes up!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have both, I will check tomorrow for you.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Being a track guy, I take temperatures all the time. On Labor Day, I decide to take the Wing, instead of my track bike to the raceway. Ambient temperature was 100 and running E3 front 36 psi and Kuhmo RF rear 34 psi COLD. I did not check air pressure hot because I didn't want to have air escape with the TPMS on. The tire temperature of the tires soon after coming off the track were 145 front and 154 rear. The E3's were gumming up nicely with little balls of molten rubber rolling off. The Kuhmo's didn't even look scuffed. They stuck like glue.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
The E3's were gumming up nicely with little balls of molten rubber rolling off. The Kuhmo's didn't even look scuffed. They stuck like glue.
It's amazing to see front so gummy and rear looks like a stroll around the block after a good beating :thumbup: That always amazes me . :thumbup: I have no way to check ID air temp. I just check tire surface temps.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
These results from the previous post are all over the place so my results will just muddy things up more but;

With an IR gun, my front always, always runs hotter than the rear. At least 30 degrees hotter than the Dunlop SP5000.

However, to confuse the issue, according to the TPMS, the front tire is cooler than the rear. Makes no sense to me.

But to answer the question, my IR readings are always way higher than the inside air for front and rear. Inside air = 80 Degrees, Outside front = 140 + -.

I'm going to take some more reading and write them down and we can compare.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
A lot of good stuff going on here!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Here's a few more reading I took a while ago. Ambient temp was about 75 deg. Took these after ride highway for about 10 miles

Front surface temp = 134, Back surface temp = 104
Front inside temp = 80, Back inside temp = 96
tire press. front = 38.5, rear = 38.5

I'm having trouble understanding the correlation between surface and inside but I'm pretty confident in the quality of the readings.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a few more reading I took a while ago. Ambient temp was about 75 deg. Took these after ride highway for about 10 miles

Front surface temp = 134, Back surface temp = 104
Front inside temp = 80, Back surface temp = 96
tire press. front = 38.5, rear = 38.5

I'm having trouble understanding the correlation between surface and inside but I'm pretty confident in the quality of the readings.
Thanks Too Tall. In a few days I'll put what numbers I have into a table and see what, if anything, I can learn from it. I'll post whatever it is (?).

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Hey Richard, I know this isn't what you're looking for but your question got me to thinking. I checked the tread temperature then checked the groove next to it at the center of the tire. The temp in the groove was 2.1 degrees cooler that what the tread was!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

The inside temp of a tire means nothing period" For as
long as tires have been around the temp has always
been taken from the outside. All data on tire temps has
always been loged by outside tread temps. So the only
way to compare apples to apples is by outer tread
temps" :thumbup:

Now if you just want to know inside tire temps just for
the sake of knowing knock yourself out. But if you want
to compare data with anyone that knows anything
about tire temps (vs) handling you need to stick with
tread temps.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
With front outside temps so much higher than the rear, one would think the inside would eventually heat up to something close to the outside temp?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have several heat sensor guns, do not play with tires much, but good for various things, such as checking the temp of a hot water floor system.

But temp guns read only surface temps, would not be able to read inside air temp.

So why is the air inside less hot?? Because air is one of the best insulation materials known. Why do you think they make fiberglass insulation so loose, so the trapped air will insulate either heat or cold, it is the air that is the real insulator.

Takes a lot of heat to heat up air. Such as an electric element in a heat gun or something for it to blow past.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
I have watched the temperature on my TireGuard quite often, looking for patterns. One big thing I noticed, is how quickly the temperature (measuring inside the tire air temp here) goes down, when you run into wet roads. Seems slow to heat up and quick to cool down.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
What's strange is that the back tire outside runs cooler than the front, but the outside front is way hotter than the back. It defys my logic, (which could be wrong). I wonder if the exhaust are heating up the air in the back tire?

Front surface temp = 134, Front inside temp = 80
Back surface temp = 104, Back inside temp = 96

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Logic tells me that the back tire should be hotter as it is the drive wheel. The front should get warmer when you try to rub some rubber off of it such as playing in the twisties.
Yes it would seem but the IR heat gun says the front is hotter, much hotter. But the inside readings say the back tire is running hotter. There's a contradiction in the outside vs inside temps.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
What's strange is that the back tire outside runs cooler than the front, but the outside front is way hotter than the back. It defys my logic, (which could be wrong). I wonder if the exhaust are heating up the air in the back tire?

Front surface temp = 134, Front inside temp = 80
Back surface temp = 104, Back inside temp = 96
The back tire is trapped up under the storage bags and fender. The rear drive also gets hot and yes the exhaust may play a small part, but mostly it misses all that, but the rear tire is exposed to more trapped heat so it would heat up more constant . And as the outside contact surface with the road is larger it will cool quicker on the outside.

Kinda like soldering a pipe and using a heat sink to take the heat away. The bigger area of the heat sink the faster it draws the heat away.

Like a heat gun, the heat or element in the gun heats the air as it passes through the gun. So the trapped heat at the rear tire will heat up the internal air more. But still the larger tire contact area will take more outside heat away.

Air will heat but slowly, Air will cool much quicker, as the little molecules are all scattered and absorb cold quicker and heat has to line them up in little rows first and then they will absorb heat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts