GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hal,

I haven't seen much on this lately. Did you ever get resolution to the credit card problem you were having a month or so ago?

I have to admit to being a little bit cautious about wanting to order something and figure that there might be a few others on the board who feel the same way.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump...

Perhaps someone else knows the outcome... How about it folks. I'm itchin to get some stuff, but need a little reassurance before I use the CC.

·
Registered
100 Posts
tj, I have purchased 3 times since the issues were talked about. I have had no problems at all, (except waiting for my spoiler that seems to be on backorder). I would think that the issue would have been resolved very quickly for a company such as HDL. I just placed another order yesterday. Go ahead and spend some money so I dont feel so bad.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Just send me your card number and I'll let you know if there's any problems. :p

Stuff happens!! Ive ordered from Hal and have had no card issues at all. I guess what I'm saying is, those problems are more likely to happen in a transaction that you actually HAND your card to SOMEONE ELSE. Alot of security goes into the websites such as Hal's, I really would'nt have any concerns.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
I don't know if it was actually pinned down but the suggestion was that the problem was "upstream" from HDL. I think a board member somewhat verified this as his unauthorized charge was a day or two before he ordered from HDL.

I just ordered in the last sale and all is fine- so far :roll:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Think HAL was just a statistic in the chain, 30 days later when my bill did show up, fraud was three days earlier. So I am conviced HAL was safe all along. Just a shame VISA did not inform me of this when reviewing it all at the time! Everything else but the prior charge that would have left HAL in the clear from the get go!

H

·
0 Posts
We were told that it was above us but they don't discuss this subject with anybody.

Their attitude is that they make it right and thats all that matters.

They do not want to give other crooks hints as to how to attack their system.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I had a couple of charges on my card that I didn't make.
I called the CC company and they took care of it.

My question is, if someone steals a number, orders something online, has it shipped to their address...... is this dumb, and a good way to get caught ?
or do I just not understand how the stealing of cc numbers works ??

I guess I would make a bad thief .. 8)

Not a Highjack .... really, it's not ... 8)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Several years ago I ordered some items from a large online electronics firm on the west coast. A few weeks later they sent out an e-mail stating that their system was hacked and it was possible that some credit card information was compromised. They also stated that they did not believe that it was. A month or two later I had two charges totaling about a thousand dollars on my card from an Office supply store in California. Don't assume because someone gets your card information that they can only use it to order online. The credit card theifs are very sofisticated and from what I was told they can even reproduce authentic looking credit cards using your information. It was a hassle but my credit card company finally determined it was fruad and removed the charges from my account.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Several years ago my daughter was on a cruise over spring break. A month later I was accused by my wife of buying a new computer and stereo system and not letting her know I had put $2500 on the card. The charges were to a electronics store in Toronto Canada. The best we can figure was the numbers from our card were compromised while my daughter was on the cruise.

Credit cards were replaced and charges taken off the card. Credit card company was very nice and dealt with the problem promptly.

·
Registered
652 Posts
A person that I work with came to me yesterday and was complaining about recieving an e-mail from an e-bay member wanting to buy any gold she had. She said she was po'ed so she reported it to E-bay since e-Bay members weren't supposed to do this. I asked her how she reported this. She said it was easy since there was a button to click on in the e-mail to report things like this directly to e-bay. I told her to immediately go change her e-bay password. She looked dumfounded when I told her that when she clicked the button the next thing she was prompted for her username and password, right? I told her that we had been getting those fake e-mails for a few days now and the site she went to to report the problem wasn't e-bay at all but a rip off site. Another guy standing behind us cursed and said he had just did exactly the same thing yesterday. If nobody had tipped them off they would have wondering how in the world someone had gotten their password when it was they themselves who gave away the secret.

We have also been recieving the ones from PayPay saying your account will be suspended if you don't click on a button to update your info. I am afraid to guess how many people who are in love with point and click fell for this one.

Keep your guard up out there folks. It's a whole new world.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:wink:

My wife the CFO stated "If ya wanna keep orderin' from Hal or off the Internet get a #$%^&* PayPal account now or it's local only".
When The Admiral speaks I "roger out" and got me the PayPal account and we are good as gold but I have one CC that I have on the side for certain purchases that I've had in my name only since the 1970's. (just for emergencies :wink: Hal's sales that I forget about until the last day)

:flg:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just my two cents about an incident in Dec last year. No dispersions intended. I have bought from HDL before and since but had my card "cloned", VISAs words not mine. They called me in AZ and asked me if I was shopping at 2 Fla Walmarts at the same time. Hadn't been to Fla for about 5 years but had purchased from HDL in Nov. Again I draw no connection but it did happen and the locations were in Fla.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have purchased form HDL...no problems

VERY VERY VERY smart for Hal not to give details....just say wahtever might have been wrong is fixed.

Our stupid gov't and media reported how acetone and hydrogen peroxide can be mixed to make a "bomb"...why oh why do they report this??.....how many idiots tried it out?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Companies doing business by credit card should not store the credit card number in their database for a transaction. Each time you authorize a charge, and your account is verified with the credit card company, they issue a transaction number. This transaction number is what the company you're doing business should save. It is good only for that transaction with the company, at the time and for the amount you have authorized.

DON'T SAVE YOUR CARD INFORMATION IN VENDOR SYSTEMS
Many companies offer the opportunity to save your credit card information in their system to make it easier for you to do business with them. Where it is true it may save time, it also saves your credit card number in their system and increases your vulnerability.

I seldom ask for my credit card information to be stored in vendor systems but often do business over the internet. When entering the credit card number, I make sure that I have the lock icon in the lower right hand side of the browser window which ensures that the information I send over the internet is encrypted and reduces the potential of someone hijacking the number in transit across the internet.

MORE WAYS TO GET BURNED
Let's face it, card information has to go into the vendors system somehow to be verified by the credit card company. The guy at the counter may have to write it down before he enters it in the system, which greatly increases the chances of the CC number being stolen.

In fact, if the vendor has a system that does store the credit information in the database, it is probably the same database that they enter the information in when you call or even when you drop by and make a purchase in person. This is the same database that gets hacked by internet thieves, so whether you like it or not, your information may be on the internet, even if you never use your card for internet purchases.

The most potential for getting scam'd is through social engineering. Giving your card to a waiter, or a clerk who has to go away to use the credit machine. Any time your card is out of your sight, there is the potential for you to get riped off.

CALL THE CREDIT COMPANY WHEN YOU SEE MISTAKEN CHARGES
I have had my card number stolen once, and I believe that it happened at a restaurant when the card was taken away to run the charges. For me the erroneous charges came from somewhere in France and when I called the Credit Card company the charges were immediately removed, the card was replaced and I had to sign a waiver indicated that I absolutely claim that the charges were not mine.

It's a real PITA to start over with a new card, but I guess that is the price we pay to live in the information age, where everything is available at the push of a button.

BOTTOM LINE
I think it is safer to send credit information over the internet then it is to call up a vendor and pay with a credit card over the phone. I use my card all the time to buy stuff from Hal, but I do not store my valid card information in Hal's system. Never had a problem, don't anticipate one. In fact if there is credit card abuse going on, it's probably me!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Be Careful :!:
Credit card fraud can happen.
It happen to me. Not sure how it happen.
I think it was a internet purchase, but the theives
not only obtain my credit card number but had my
secret code and billing address.
I had my credit card cancelled and got a new one.
Credit card company removed the charges right away.
Although, I plan to continue making internet purchases I
will also continue to monitor my credit card purchases often (everyday).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts