GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have had the helibar installed, what is the average price for the installation, labor only? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Did it myself. Took my time and several hours. The instruction book is very good along with pictures at each step. The biggest pains were the left grip; both the removal (special tool included) and installation of the grip as well as the installation of the waterproof boots for the electrical connectors on the back of the instrument panel.

Sonny

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did it myself. Took my time and several hours. The instruction book is very good along with pictures at each step. The biggest pains were the left grip; both the removal (special tool included) and installation of the grip as well as the installation of the waterproof boots for the electrical connectors on the back of the instrument panel.

Sonny
Do you think a non-wrench could do it in 8 hours?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Only you can make that decision, since you know your comfort level and what tools you have on hand to tackle the job.
I would suggest that you download the installation manual from the page below. Read it and then make a decision about your level of comfort with the project.
https://www.helibars.com/product/honda-goldwing-gl1800f6b-luxury-sport-touring-horizon-bars

I will be ordering mine the first of March and have all intentions of doing it myself. I am not very mechanical, but I can read and follow directions.
As previously stated the instructions are very well done.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey fellas, not to rain on any ones parade,but 135.00, professionally installed, guaranteed!!! I like to do my own work too, but a day of my time is worth way more than that, and should any issues arise I don't have to look in the mirror for the culprit!! Just my opinion.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hey fellas, not to rain on any ones parade,but 135.00, professionally installed, guaranteed!!! I like to do my own work too, but a day of my time is worth way more than that, and should any issues arise I don't have to look in the mirror for the culprit!! Just my opinion.
I don't think you are raining on any parades here. Some, as you stated, enjoy doing their own work. I have found since I have owned my 03, I have lost my fear of many things in regards to the bike. My wife accuses me of enjoying tinkering with the bike as much as riding it. I can't say that she is wrong, because I get great satisfaction in making something work.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I can tell you the bars are fairly easy to install. I have sold several sets to board members. The left grip can be a little difficult but I can walk you thru the whole process. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Thanks,
Keith K. Engelke
Goldwing Werks
Phone 281.384.7846

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Do you think a non-wrench could do it in 8 hours?
Yes, I think 8 hours would be possible for even the slowest worker.

I'm in the middle of my install. I work slow on my vehicles as I don't like to rush and mess stuff up (well...working slowly helps me not mess up as much :oops: ). So I do take my time, take pictures, and clean stuff as I go.

• Disassemble bike to start bar removal ~1 hour (includes removal of dash and instrument cluster. I also remove the windshield, front garnish and the dash shelf to make plugging in the instrument and sealing the boots easier. I find that it is just less frustrating for me to have the instrument cluster out of the bike as it provides excellent access to the top bridge. Many don't remove the cluster and it is totally possible to do this job without removing it. Just my preference and probably costs me an additional 30-45 minutes)
  • Add hydraulic line extensions and remove right handlebar ~30 minutes
  • Remove left handlebar ~30 minutes (15-20 of that is just pushing the left grip off as it is a slow process)
  • Installing Helibar risers, bars, and reinstalling right/left controls ~1.5 hours
That's as far as I've gotten. I still have to install the left grip :eek:4: and then set the bars to where I want them and reassemble the bike and R/R the clutch and brake lines (do that every year).

If it wasn't for me opening up the right and left handlebar modules and replacing all 12 lights (~5 hours of work) and planning to do a complete clutch and brake system flush, I would have easily finished in 1 day.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't think you are raining on any parades here. Some, as you stated, enjoy doing their own work. I have found since I have owned my 03, I have lost my fear of many things in regards to the bike. My wife accuses me of enjoying tinkering with the bike as much as riding it. I can't say that she is wrong, because I get great satisfaction in making something work.
Yeah! I think that sums a lot of it up.
Sonny

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I enjoy doing my own work, just would like to get the work done before the wife comes home from work. I don't think that she would notice the new bars and that's one less accessory that I would have to explain if she did not see me working on it :eek:4:.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Oh, took me about a week or so ........ I didn't work on it continuously though. Did a few other things while I had everything apart.
Besides, I'm rerired from a regular job. Working on the ranch requires time around the place for other things also ....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts