GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok Now I have on the flame suit, as I know this topic can temp the best of people.

But here is my question.

I know that you have to keep a detailed log of your ride and all of your reciepts. I was wondering what have most of you used to do this? Some sort of little folder or a little memo pad(keeping reciepts seperate) or what else?

I was suppose to go on mine this week, but the other rider had to do the jury duty thing so it has been postponed.

Any other tips of comments concerning turning in all the info and such would be glad to know in advace.

Thanks one and all. :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I always keep a slide-lock baggy in the thigh pocket of my 'stich for receipts. Note all pertinent information ON the receipt (check date/time/location, add odometer reading), place in baggy, put baggy in pocket (and zip it up).

I keep a separate folder in the trunk with my log. Often, I'll just wait until the end to transcribe the info from the receipts onto the log, but sometimes I'll make the log entries at the time of purchase - depends how I'm feeling that day.

Roy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here's what I did:

Materials: Cheap 3 ring folder. Small roll of scotch tape. A couple of good pens. Highligher. Single page map that covers the entire route (if possible).

I used a cheap 3 ring folder/binder and made several copies of a log sheet. One sheet of paper for each stop. The top 1/4 of the page had a small table where I could fill out the pertinent information: odometer, time, location, length of break, etc... The bottom 3/4 of the page was blank and gave me plenty of room to tape the receipt on the page and write down any notes about the stop. Using one sheet per stop makes it easy to make copies later.

My routine: At each stop I would first take out binder and write down the current time. Mark the stop and the route on the map with the highlighter. Number the log sheet and the map location. Fill up gas tank buy food etc... Tape the receipts to the log sheet. Make any notes if necessary. Hop on the bike and get going...

I found that keeping to this routine gave me a good (but short) break to stretch my legs and log everything while it's still fresh in my mind. Also, you have a better chance of finding mistakes earlier than later. I found that if I threw all the receipts in a bag and sorted through them later was more difficult and if I found any discrepencies in the time stamp, there was no way to properly correct it.

I've used this system twice now: Saddlesore 1000 and Bun Burner Gold 1500. Just my routine, YMMV

Have a safe ride!

Terry

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have a nylon binder that I keep a notebook in. It has a pocket in the front side.
I made up a log sheet that works for me to annotate all the info I need. It has numbered lines, I just write the number of the log line on the reciept and put in the pocket on the front flap of the binder. Then I sort them all out at the end.

Having a routine and sticking to it is the key. Practice your routine, even when you aren't iron butting. Then it is second nature. Screw up your routine and you lose time and risk forgetting a crucial step, like getting a reciept or logging stuff.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Everything that has been suggested is a good idea. I just carry a spiral notebook, small cardboard box, paper clip, ink pen, and maps. At each stop I make my log notes in the notebook and check all the info on the receipt and place it in order in the paper clip in the cardboard box. The maps are self explanatory. I sure wish I had remembered my atlas when I did my BB1500. It would have saved me from taking a ride through downtown Fort Worth at 2am. :? After I complete the ride I take my notebook and transfer the notes to the log sheets that I download from ironbutt.com and number my receipts. Don't forget to make a copy of a map showing your route and to circle and number all your stops. I use a yellow highlighter and red ink pen for this task.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I carry a clip board in the trunk. On the clip board is a pre printed lined sheet that I enter the City, State, Odomoter reading, GPS reading, time, gallons, and note space. Each line is numbered and I put that number on the back of the receipt and place all receipts in a 5 x 8 envelope that stays on the clip board.

When I get off the bike at each stop, I fill up and make all entries before I go to take care of nature or anything else.

Decide how you are going to do it and stick to your routine. Sticking to the routine you set up is the only way to insure you don't err.

I've done a SS1000 and a BBGold this way and it worked for me. I will be doing the 48 in 10 this June and will do the same thing.

All the above posts are excellent and any of them will work. Good luck to you and your amigo! :eek:w1:

As IBMike says; Once you've crossed over to the dark side, it's hard to come back!

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i read a guys story about the 10 000 mile run, he needed to take pictures for extra points. is that only for a competition that photos need to prove things.

never going to do it, just curious.

loren

·
Registered
810 Posts
Iron Butt, they made it too hard!

I didn't do any of this, and still did my SS1000.

The vast majority of the chain gas stations (Shell, Exxon, Texaco, etc). will print out receipts that show the location, time and date. This is the big part of what you need, plus your mileage, forgot about that. I just recorded the mileage on each stop, nothing more and then did the leg work when I got home. I put each receipt time and date to Excel and then sorted it on both columns, then punched in the mileage in the order I wrote it down.

I also included my map, drawn by Microsoft Streets and Trips, by entering in the address of each gas stop, which then plotted out my course.

The SS1000 is a good ride, not too hard it you prepare right, mentally and physically and is the easiest to get qualified for, but plan on waiting between 3 and 4 months to get your ride certified.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Re: Iron Butt, they made it too hard!

mcallery said:
I didn't do any of this, and still did my SS1000.

The vast majority of the chain gas stations (Shell, Exxon, Texaco, etc). will print out receipts that show the location, time and date.
Just try finding one of these stations with an accurate date and time stamp along I-10 and I-20 in west Texas. Out of the 10 or so stops I made last October during my BB1500, I think only 4 of them had accurate information. Luckily 2 of them were the begining and ending receipt. It is best to verify, correct, and write things down as you go.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
loren said:
i read a guys story about the 10 000 mile run, he needed to take pictures for extra points. is that only for a competition that photos need to prove things.

loren
For straight IB ridinging you don't need pictures. If you are participating in a rally (read EXTREME scavanger hunt of sorts) then you may be required to take pictures of locations or stuff to show you were there. Most rallies give you a "rally towel" with a number, and you can put that in the pick to prove it was you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I keep it simple. I carry a little vinyl zipper bag. I get my gas receipt, check the date and time are correct, or update if need. I write the odometer on the receipit and usually put the number of the gas stop it is (1, 2, 3...). I shove it in the bag and am done. I fill out the log latter. I do this for a couple of reasons. First, it reduces the number of things I have to carry. It makes the gas stops faster. Butt, most importantly, I've gotten side tracked by the log and almost forgot my receipt a couple of times. If the receipt is all you have to worry about, your not as likely to forget it.

Doug.

·
Registered
13 Posts
loren said:

loren
Only for rallies as was already mentioned. Some other rides like the SCMA's Four Points ride require more extensive documentation and picture as well. The Four Points isn't really a rally, as you have something like 21 days to do it, but it is a long ride.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Be sure to check the receipts. Last fall while doing my Bun Burner, at least 3 of the receipts had the wrong location printed on them (times are also wrong in many cases). I had to call a Love's Truck Stop in Kingman, AZ that provided a receipt that said the station was in Buckeye,AZ (approx. 200 miles away).
When in doubt, go inside and ask for a receipt from the cashier.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Good tips guys!

Man, do I feel lucky. When I did my SS1K, all I had to do was collect receipts and slam Red Bull! All the receipts I picked up along the way had correct EVERYTHING... next time I'll really check closely.

The dark side has called and I am considering doing a couple back to back SS1Ks to go visit the group in Marble Falls, Texas. Alas, IB should be here about that time. Don't want to miss the visit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts