GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jon,

I know everyone has different wants and needs , But what is the GPS of choice for your bike .

Clint :D

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Is this a loaded question???

I don't want or need weather radar or Bluetooth integration, but I do want a flexible, customizable unit with a big, bright usable display.

Even with all of its' problems, I would replace my iWay with another today if mine was stolen. (Actually, I would probably wait until the 600c is released)

I don't like the fixed environment of the Garmin units, as well as their rapid obsolesence and pattern of not adding any real functionality after a unit is released. Their customer service is great and I like their commercials as well.

There - you asked... :)

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
OK Jon what do u mean by "I don't like the fixed enviroment of the Garmin units" ?

i don't have a clue

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Can you display the elevation on the Zumo? Set the data tabs transparent on a 2720? Put the input voltage on the map display of the 2820? Create a track log greater than 1,000 points on a GPSMap? Create a custom menu structure on any of them?

Garmin has adopted a 'fixed and unflexible' attitude regarding user interface of their units - as much as I like their R&D and the direction they are pulling the industry, I wish they didn't force us to make so many compromises when it comes to a GPS purchase decision.

Again, that's just my opinion and my criteria - everyone's got different needs.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Jon, don't hold back, tell us what you really feel.... :lol: :lol: :wink:

I too like the looks of the Iway, but with all the problems stated here, I just wouldn't have to confidence to spend my money on one, maybe the new 600 will correct all the problems, I hope so cause it does look good.

I have the built in unit on my 07, and for what I will do ( GPS wise) it will be all I need. I also have a 2720 for my other vehicles and again, it will do all I need....

I think a better question wouls have been, this is what I would do with a GPS, which one would be the best for me.....

For you Jon,(and several others)only the most high tec, loaded featured GPS would suffice...most of us will never touch all the features of most GPS units, sort of like Windows, most will never use all the features of windows 3.1 :lol:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
KYBLUE said:
... I think a better question wouls have been, this is what I would do with a GPS, which one would be the best for me.....
Ahhh - now there's the rub: that is not the question he asked, nor the one I answered.

As I said, those are MY needs and they won't necessarily match anybody else's.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Jon said:
KYBLUE said:
... I think a better question wouls have been, this is what I would do with a GPS, which one would be the best for me.....
Ahhh - now there's the rub: that is not the question he asked, nor the one I answered.

As I said, those are MY needs and they won't necessarily match anybody else's.
That's what I mean, it's not a fair question to ask, what YOU would have. We're all different and the better question would have been "this is what I need in a GPS, which one should I get" not meaning anything to the person asking the first question so take no offence...

I'm a little "tech-no" challanged, so my needs are different from yours...

Simple is better for me :lol:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
KYBLUE said:
... the better question would have been "this is what I need in a GPS, which one should I get"...
Maybe Clint will ask that question and we can see what the recommendations are? :)

All I do is answer the questions posed as completely and unbiased as I can. For some reason, he posed the question to me.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Jon said:
KYBLUE said:
... the better question would have been "this is what I need in a GPS, which one should I get"...
Maybe Clint will ask that question and we can see what the recommendations are? :)

All I do is answer the questions posed as completely and unbiased as I can. For some reason, he posed the question to me.
Because you are "the man", Jon.

G

·
I bought my iWay based on Lamont's recommendation. This was before he had his first problem with them. The only problem I have ever had is when I forget to turn it off with the switch and turn off the ignition with the iWay still on. When I do that it sometimes has trouble booting and I have to manually turn it off and back on. Twice I think I overwhelmed it by pushing the zoom too many times too fast and it got hung up and I had to pull the power cord. Other than that it has performed well. Of course it is not perfect. It once sent me down a dead end road.

I would buy another iWay before anything else currently on the market.

·
Registered
311 Posts
KYBLUE said:
most will never use all the features of windows 3.1 :lol:
Damn, there is an upgrade to 3.0? Next thing you'll tell me that my 5.25" drive isn't the latest thing :shock:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jon ,

Thank you for answering the question that I asked . That was exactly what I wanted to know .

Clint

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Clint

In my humble opinion, and experience, there are two things you can't go wrong with, getting an I-Way and purchasing it form Jon.

While the I-Way recommendation is subjective, given that everyone has different needs and wants, the part about working with Jon is not.

While you did not ask, I felt compelled to offer my opinion. Over 11K miles, more rain then Lake Michigan, and 12 miles of unpaved gravel road up the side of a mountain (wrong road for me too Beastie), it keeps on ticking.

Yes, there have been many reports on the board about it's problems, but as far as I can tell, and I read them all, the company has stood behind every one, and made it right. Even gave money back when asked.

Good luck in finding what's right for you.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Yeah, but can you make the tabs transparent? :)

My point was that the Garmin product line in general is inflexible (and inconsistent among units).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts