GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I'm going to start a 1000, 1500, and 2000 mile ride. Do I need to have a witness after the 1000, 1500, and 2000 miles or do just need the 2000 mile witness with fuel receipts to show I accomplisted the 1000 and 1500 mile rides in the time allotted? Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just for the 2000 mile portion if it is all one ride, however if you bail early get a witness to close what you have done so you get credit for one of the shorter rides.

I would close each portion (1000, 1500 then 2000) with a witness then if something happens you will be covered for a lesser ride.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
If you want to earn the SaddleSore 1000 "award" you'll need a witness at the end. If you want to add the Bun Burner 1500 on top of that, you'll need a witness for that, too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you want to earn the SaddleSore 1000 "award" you'll need a witness at the end. If you want to add the Bun Burner 1500 on top of that, you'll need a witness for that, too.
:agree: I just did it this past summer. Also need a witness at the start.

·
Registered
449 Posts
So, the way I understand it, you will need three witnesses - one at each "milestone" for each to count. Just because you made the requirements for one ride, doesn't mean you have met them all.

The reason is because if you do 900 miles in the first 24 hours, 500 miles in hours 24-36, and 600 miles in hours 36-48 (I hope my math is right and it totals to 2000 :) ), the only ride you have accomplished is the SS2000. Also, as someone pointed out earlier, if you have to abort after reaching a milestone (say the 1000 mile point) you still have previous rides to certify.

Ideally, you would do 1000 miles in the first 24 hours, 500 in hours 24-36, and 500 miles in hours 36-48 to meet all the minimum requirements in a single ride, getting witnesses at each of 1000, 1500, and 2000 miles.

·
Registered
406 Posts
a relevant question..

Sorry if this is a hijacking of the thread..

I'm planning on doing this same thing next week on a one way trip down to Nashville, do you just ask anybody thats around to be a witness, or do you make arraingments with someone to do it in advance?

I'd imagine it might be a little difficult to approach someone with such a request looking like I will after 20+ hours on a bike.. :lol:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Read the rules. They are on the IBA web site and someone posted the link already. There are also some tips on witnesses. In fact, some rides require certain "officals" as witnesses.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Sorry if this is a hijacking of the thread..

I'm planning on doing this same thing next week on a one way trip down to Nashville, do you just ask anybody thats around to be a witness, or do you make arraingments with someone to do it in advance?

I'd imagine it might be a little difficult to approach someone with such a request looking like I will after 20+ hours on a bike.. :lol:

Ha, my wife, who was on the SS1000 with me as a passenger, snapped a picture of me getting my last witness (police officer) to sign my document. I did not FEEL tired...but boy did I LOOK tired!

Police officers are great witnesses, they are already awake and around and about at the wee hours of the morning. They are easy to get for assistance, you just fly through the middle of town doing 3 times the speed limit, blowing your horn and shooting your pistol and you will be amazed how fast you can find your ending witness.

Really, I did call the police station the day before I left and asked them if they could help me with this. They said to come to the police station and they would call an officer for me. The police lady that came to us was very nice and was interested in what we were doing. Remember...they are also trying to stay awake too! IBA like police officers, firemen, officials as witnesses, they feel they are more reliable than Cousin Jimmy Lee or joe blow who may be your best friend and lie for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts