GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that purchased a newly installed MT Adventure on an 02 GW. The sidestand switch had been completely removed by the installer. When I questioned him about this he said that it was what MT instructed them to do. The trike cannot be started unless it is in neutral and the FI codes cannot be retrieved without some rewiring. My question is, is this the way all Adventure sidestand switches are done? I would think not but would like to hear from some other owners.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
With the running boards or Aqua Shields as MT calls them yes! Some installers just unplug it and jump the connector to indicate the stand is up. Some tie the rotor key in the up position, and tuck the harness in next to the radiator over flow cap somewhere under the Left engine cover.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
George pretty much answered your question

·
Registered
734 Posts
I went one step further when I had my conversion done so I could still read an F1 fault code if need be. One must have the side stand down indication to the ECU for this to be possible.

I installed a single pole - double throw toggle swithch that simulates the side stand switch. When I mounted it the paddle up is the same as the side stand up and down for side stand down. The green wire (ground) is hooked to the common post then the other two wires to the other posts. I forget which is which but it really doesn't matter. You wouldn't even have to hard mount the switch but it makes it easier to operate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts