GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of maybe dumb questions about our trip to Alaska, will our factory Garmin maps work in Canada? Will our xm weather work? thanks

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Can't say about XM weather but I assume it would. My Honda Navi worked fine during our trip last year from Nova Scotia to FL, CA, BC and AL, it does have North America maps.

·
Registered
20,948 Posts
My experience with XM on our 2007 trip to Alaska was it worked fairly well in Canada but the farther north we got the more frequent the dropouts were, also noticed in Alaska none of the Walmarts we stopped at carried XM radios .

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I can see the XM having problems in Alaska with the satellite angle being real low on the horizon as that is mentioned in my manual for my bike.

·
Registered
226 Posts
We were up in Alaska last summer. Our XM was very spotty. Started to go bad when we got into northern B.C. and Yukon. Mostly got local FM stations or used our I-pod.....Ken

·
Registered
994 Posts
I don't think that anyone sells a GPS that just does the US or Canada(at least for the road,off road Topo is a different story).Everyone I've owned says North American maps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Your XM weather will quit basically as soon as you cross into Canada. I bought a 2009 US bike and imported it into Canada It had XM weather subscription on it and the weather portion of it died within 5 miles entering into Canada. I sure liked having it and was disappointed when I found out that XM weather doesn't work in Canada.

·
Registered
66 Posts
No. Canada does not have the weather reporting systems that the States have access to.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I have a US level 3 (Navi) bike.

Maps work fine.

I don't have a weather subscription, but XM radio works fine on all our XM equipped vehicles.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Your XM weather will quit basically as soon as you cross into Canada. I bought a 2009 US bike and imported it into Canada It had XM weather subscription on it and the weather portion of it died within 5 miles entering into Canada. I sure liked having it and was disappointed when I found out that XM weather doesn't work in Canada.
This is my experience too. I have a US 2012 Wing. XM radio works, as does the Nav...but the XM Weather only works in the US.

·
Registered
924 Posts
trip up north

I lived in the Yukon for 27 years...FM SUCKS period when you are traveling......a good paper GPS works just fine and there aren't that many roads to get mixed up on...past Watson lake there is one in...one out unless you take ferries.

Make sure you have an ipod full of music if you like music....

IMHO the trip from Ft St John up is boring (accept from stone mountain to Liard hotsprings - some good twisties in there but watch out for road work and BISON)....coming the Prince George way over to Fort St John is a bit better route but only in sections - stay away from the cassiar...it's can be dodgy.....and lots of road work.

Jer

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
My Garmin works in the states do yours should in Canada you can just do a rout to Alaska and you can then preview. It just to make sure , do not know about radio

·
Registered
328 Posts
What is the best way to get local weather and radar?
Probably the same ways I get it everywhere: local radio, newspapers (remember them?), local TV news if you're motelling, internet weather sites (if you've got internet access) ....

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
What is the best way to get local weather and radar?
If you have an Android phone consider the "Radar Now" application.

·
Registered
924 Posts
oh and one other thing.......British Columbia has a ZERO TOLERANCE on just about everything......BC means BRING CASH.

I am not sure about foreigners but canadians get nailed there for doing 5 kms over the speed limit and it will cost you about 150 bucks......I would go through there with caution and you can't use radar detectors.

There is some great rides through BC...just be cautious about cops is all.

Jer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts