GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming up on one full month of ownership of my new 2020 DCT Tour. I'm impressed with many things about the bike. One of them is the solid yet smooth feel of the bike; no squeaks, rattles, shakes, etc. This is one of my pet peeves for both cars and bikes. I perceive this as an indication of good engineering and quality manufacturing. In regards to this, do those of you with higher mileage notice any signiicant difference with your bikes now compared to when new?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
What is your definition of "higher mileage"?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm shy of 30K miles. I've gone through three sets of tires and two sets of brake pads. Then there's all that oil and gas and the filters I've had to change. You know, I even had to change the spark plugs out once so far. Not that it was needed, but it seemed like a good thing to do, plus I used Fred's videos to guide me. Actually, I think I need to do another oil and filter change real soon now, certainly before I take off on my summer riding. I guess the thing is, I've been trying to follow the recommended maintenance/service schedule as detailed in the Service Manual. But, I don't know, all that inspecting that's called for seems to not really be all that necessary. The bike just never seems to have any problems unless I cause them. Which has happened. Except for the heated grips. I didn't cause that. At least I don't think I did. YMMV.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anyone do the valve check yet?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Just over 30K miles for 25 months on my 2018, so I just made it into that category. Valve check was OK enough that I left it alone. All of my pre-2012's never needed any valve adjustments for their first one as well (4 of them). I think my 2010 is coming due for its next valve check (now only getting 10K a year instead of the 25K). For almost 200,000 miles, I think I only had to adjust anything twice.

·
Registered
213 Posts
2018 Tour, 41,000. Every bit as good as the day I got it. Better gas mileage now than when new. Other than the time-consuming air filter change (that was done at 40,000) I have no complaints.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
2018 Tour, 41,000. Every bit as good as the day I got it. Better gas mileage now than when new. Other than the time-consuming air filter change (that was done at 40,000) I have no complaints.
What shape was the filter in?
I tend to change mine and its still clean, even at the recommended mileage.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
52k, no issues

·
Registered
93 Posts
An easy 44K on my '18 model, no problems. Of course did the maintenance procedures and tires. Brakes still have plenty left.
Enjoy your bike.

·
Registered
213 Posts
What shape was the filter in?
I tend to change mine and its still clean, even at the recommended mileage.
I thought I repied or perhaps it was in another post...when turned over, a small amount of sand fell out and one winged ant still stuck on. Not really very discolored.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts