GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two part question

Obviously I have a fair idea of the workings of the HD cameras but its not something I have ventured into very much on the bike so I was wondering do the most popular models GOPRO etc etc have an old fashioned composite video out so you can playback onto a TV by the traditional yellow RCA or are they all HDMI or component.

Moving on from that would the ability to playback and review the footage from your camera on the navigation screen of your GL1800 be useful obviously when stationary.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Pete,
You playing MAD SCIENTIST over there again? I think WESEXCELLENCE came up with something like this on his bike? I heard he had a mild heart attack if their is such a thing.
Eddie

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pete,
You playing MAD SCIENTIST over there again? I think WESEXCELLENCE came up with something like this on his bike? I heard he had a mild heart attack if their is such a thing.
Eddie
Yes your right I like to tinker

Did a search for WESEXCELLENCE well great minds think alike I guess its getting harder to come up with something that someone else has not had a stab at.

I hope he is OK he has not posted in a while it would be nice to hook up with him as he is local I sent him a PM but its been 3 months since he was online and over a year since his last post.

He sure put some money into that version $400 for the interface alone :eek:4: luckily I had a pile of the one I used as samples from the factory from a previous project and at a fraction of the price or I just would not of entertained trying it.

I had set out to make a NAV timer but ended up doing the camera MOD there was no way I was going to start cutting on someone else's wiring so we made it all plug and play (no cutting or soldering needed) and its auto switching from NAV to camera when you go into reverse, so I guess my friends wife is now the proud owner of a trike with a reverse camera

At one point we even had movies running on it.

I could see it being useful for folks with restricted mobility on trikes or for playing back video when stationary from ride cameras, had considered using it as a viewfinder or rearview driving mirror but unsure of the legality

Would be cool with a forward facing night vision camera, but if you have ever tried to drive with NVG's on you know that will end in tears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63yrEXbPPsA

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Pete,
That is pretty awesome and I would expect no less from you.I think WES took the custom route a little far as it is his business hence the cost of his. Yours looks great but what about us without NAV bikes? Got a retrofit? GIT-R-DONE. I am sure there is a niche for it. Zackybilly1 has a forward mounted FLIR on his 03 wing as he is in deer country so goes to show anything can be accomplished with great minds. You ever going to get any NAV reset units?
Eddie

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had played with a contour and gave it up because of the difficulty of "aiming" it where I wanted to record. They were going to have a bluetooth connection to mobile phones - which is a wireless solution but I think this is an interesting solution and I see a market for it - although maybe too limited. I just know it would have made my life easier and I would not have as many movies of the sky because my contour was aimed wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts