GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor just purchased a new wing. His dilema is, he is only 5 ft 6 inches tall with a short inseam? What are his options at this point?
I suggested he take his boots to a shoe cobbler and have them built up 1/2 inch or so. Any other ideas out there??????? tia :)

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Could have the seat cut down a little....I always though getting rid of the "wingy things" on the sides of the seat would help a lot....

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I gotta ask. Why in the world would someone buy a motorcycle without @ least sitting on it 1st?
Built up boots & lowest susp. setting is my only suggestions.
Good luck to your friend,
the hobo

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Frankenstein boots

·
Registered
514 Posts
A lot depends on his inseam. I'm 5'7" with 32" inseam and manage OK. After market seats if he has the moola. There used to be a guy that cut down seats with an electric knife. I had him do a Venture seat for me and it worked.

·
Registered
310 Posts
make sure he sits forward on the seat, at stops, wear thick soled boots, and the suspension setting is important; mine is on #4, solo!

I am 5-7, and moderately inseam challenged, so I know his problem!

Our son, all 6 feet 2 inches of him, says, "I don't know how you can handle that thing", when he sees me and the GL1800!

But the fact is, this GL1800 fits me better, much better, than a GL1500, or even my BMW!

Jonar G., the original WHITEFANG

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I am in the same boat.

Thick boots, low suspension and slide forward in seat when stopped.

Be careful where you stop. Check road surface when approaching a stop.

No stopping over pot holes, gullies or high mounded center strips. Keep your tires in the car tire tracks. Where trucks travel you'll find the tire tracks to be lower than the center or sides.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm 5' 8" and have a 28" inseam, I can flat foot my bike. One way to lower a bike is to loosen the clamps on the triple tree and slide the fork tubes up an inch or so. Doing this does reduce ground clearance and will have some effect on the steering geometry of the bike. Unless he is a very aggressive rider he would never know the difference. I did it on my 1500 and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
5'6". Leave rear at 25 for clearance. "Ball-foot" at stops sitting in normal position. Flat-footting requires standing to front of seat. Corbin seat is lower but shaped different and doesn't help. Watch for low areas of road and stop in them.

Relax, practice balance. If it does tip over at a stop, let it. It will only go to the engine guards.

·
Registered
997 Posts
seat

Why not have the seat rebuilt. could probably loose over an inch. Russel, would be a good choice to rebuild seat. We have a re builder here in Anderson ca. Rick Myer cycle that comes highly recommended by other riders. He cuts it down and adds memory foam for a lower better righting saddle

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
At 5'6", with a 30" inseam I have no problem holding the bike up. Most of the time I slide forward, as mentioned, and can flat foot with my CruiserWorks boots on. It became so much of a habit that I don't even think about it.

Tell him to find a empty parking lot and practice coming to a stop and restarting. He should be proficient in no time.

Since I've dropped mine 5-6 times already, tell him it's also very easy to pick up. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I just thought of something else that will help him. When he stops he needs to pivot his hips forward and that will give him another inch or two. I have seen people just sit back on the bike and it almost tips over when they stop because they don't try to pivot their hips forward to get their legs lower.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
These "Frankenstein" boots
Harley boots from Skips (the Harley emblems come off)
http://www.skipsboots.com/p-18-91345-ha ... boots.aspx

they are REALLY comfortable.

then,
take the seat off, remove the staples from the driver area only
remove the front foam (the driver foam)
thin slice off about 2-4 inches of foam from the BOTTOM of the seat.
if you do thin slices you can add some back if you take out too much.
It's really easy to do.

With the all the above, I went from just the front 1/3 of my foot on the ground to nearly flat foot.

29 inch inseam

Dennis

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Orange Winger2 - Rick Meyer may come highly recommended by somebody, but there are also some of us who have been screwed by ole Rick boy. He's a lyin' jerk.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
5' 4" (on a good day), 26" inseam (with my cuffs dragging the ground) and I have been riding Wings since 1984!! I have put thousands of miles on the following wings (in order) GL1200, GL1500, GL1000 (1977) and now a 2005 GL1800. If he really wants to ride he will figure out how. I have taken several MSF riding courses from day one to increase my skills to allow me to handle ANY motorcycle I chose to ride. I modified the seat of my 84 and did not like it and returned it to stock. I am considering having my boots built up a bit since I need to get them resoled but that is only because I went to a 70 series rear tire which increases the ride height about 3/4". Tell your buddy don't be afraid to scooch up to the front of the seat when stopping to give him some extra leg room. Also floorboards and short legs do not work together well in my experience. John and his wife from WingSoft have a new modification for the seat that tapers the front just a bit more (WingSoft Short) and I am considering that. It leaves the main section for the seat stock or they can modify it with their better foam for the seating areas. I have not set flat footed on a bike powerful enough to put that smile on my face except for the cruisers since I started riding. I am not partial to the crusier seating and foot control postion.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'm 5'4" with about a 29" inseam. My boots were built up some so that I can flat foot the bike. This is a much cheaper option than a custom seat. My suspension is kept around 4-6 and there are no issues riding the twisties.

This bike is rather heavy to be on tip toes, IMHO. Folks do it and they are comfortable with it, but I would rather not have to do that for a bike that weighs in the 850# range.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts