GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of cold and wet weather protection do the sport touring bikes provide? I came from the cruiser world and have gotten really spoiled by the ability to ride the Wing in the coldest of weather with quite a bit less cold weather gear than a cruiser provides. As an example, the other day it was 44 degrees outside and I was on the interstate at 80 mph with my lightest jacket and summer gloves on. Gotta love that! The reason I ask about weather protection is that, even though I told myself not to, I sat on the new Concours 14 at Biketoberfest and I can't get it out of my mind. I love the Wing and all that it can do, but.....

Opinions? Reasons why I would be miserable with a Sport Touring bike? Help!!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Sitting on a bike & riding on one are two different things...you may have a different opinion afterwards.

I would ask that question on the FJR or Concours boards for their opinions. Also, see if you can test ride one somewhere or someone you know has one, ask them for their opinion/ride.

Sport Touring motorcycles are awesome machines...if I was younger & did not have back problems, I would luv to have one.

I will stick to GoldWings...have back problems...luv the rider's backrest!

Just a thought.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I can only speak to the FJR. I had an 06 but sold it a while back. WHY did I do that? DOH! :roll: I miss it very much.

As far as comfort goes, I also have a bad back and with 1" bar risers it was a very comfortable bike. The longest day I did on it was only 650 miles but I was comfortable all day long. The wind protection, in my opinion anyway, is just about equal to the stock wing without all the spoilers and barn doors added. :D The 06 model did put out a lot of heat so cold weather riding was not a problem. It was quite warm when the temperatures go in the 80's however. A VERY nice bike and I would (will) own one again. Try it you will like it. :wink:

Marc

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The reason my son has an FJR is because of the protection offered by the fairing, windshield, etc. He used to have a drop-dead gorgeous Rode Star Silverado and was always cold when riding. He rode my Goldwing several times and loved it. But when we were on a very cold ride on Virginia's Skyline Drive, he said "I've got to have a bike with protection". He is not into Goldwings as yet (but loves them).....ergo the FJR. He loves that one now.

G

·
BMW R1150RT

I can't speak to the FJR or ST, but I own and ride a BMW R1150RT, sport tourer.

I'm a previous 02 GL1800 owner. The RT's weather protection is actually better than my 02 Wing. Especially in the legs and lower legs. The design of the mirrors also completely puts hands in a quiet zone... so much so that I wear vented gloves almost all year. Upper body is about the same as the Wing, and with the stock windscreen it is head buffet city, much like the earlier Wings w/o the vent. I put a Cee Bailey's #2 +4" screen on the RT (adjustable you know) and now ride in a completely quiet environment w/ zero buffet while still looking about 4" over the top of the screen.

After 30k miles on my RT I'm still glad I made the switch. I never drag anything "ever" and the suspension is superb. It is also very agile compared to a GW.

Down sides to Sport Tourers compared to GW are mainly in the "really long day in the saddle" realm. I still can easily do an 800 mile day, but I'm more tired than I used to be on the Wing. Not by much, but the Wing is still very much the champion of the slab. The same long day, but done in the twisties and it turns around the other way. The RT is nimble and just goes wherever you look with no effort at all, and the Wing takes some "herding" to move through the twisties well.

Apples and oranges really, but the RT overall is better in the weather protection arena. In the rain, the only thing that gets wet is the top of my helmet as long as I'm moving at all.

·
Registered
2021 Red/Black Goldwing Tour DCT
720 Posts
John...If you ride by yourself I would say go for it,my so rides with me on the 06FJR but for overnight rides no way,I take the Wing.If I had to have one bike it would be the Wing.

My 2 cents Ed :roll:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yesterday, I went out for a ride on my 06A here in middle TN. Its temp gauge was showing 48 deg. F. That’s the coldest temperature I’ve ridden it in. From the waist down, (wearing 3 layers), the wind didn’t bother me too much. However, I do wear shin & knee armor. That leg armor provided a measure of protection from the wind. From the waist up there is a noticeable amount of exposure to the wind. I was dressed (4 layers including body armor) for the occasion.

I’ve ridden 5 or 6 different wings but I don’t own one, although my wife wanted me to get one instead of the FJR. I’ve ridden 3 different FJRs. In my opinion, the Wing provides considerably more protection from frontal wind.

I’ve never ridden my FJR in the rain.

For the most part, I’m a fair weather recreational rider when it comes to my FJR. On the other hand, I’ve been out in the woods on my dirt bike when it’s “freakin” freezing cold.

shokdimn :biker:

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've got the ST1300 and can tell you that weather protection is at least par with the Wing. With handle bar risers I've made it as well nearly as comfy as the Wing.

I've had the ST in cold weather (30 and below) and the fact that it puts quite some heat our at the knees makes for nice warm legs.

But the best thing is the adjustable windshield. In wet/rainy conditions I put it down slightly so that the wind will blast the raindrops of the visor. It is even better than having windshield wipers on a car at that point. Of course the downside is more windnoise in those conditions - but safety first.

I'm not looking back on the decission to buy the ST1300. For me it's more fun than the Wing - which is now our 2up Tourer.

If I had to do it again I would wait to have a look at the Concours14 and probably would buy that one instead of the ST1300 (or a BMW R1200RT).

Reiner

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have a 2003 GL1800A and a 2006 FJR1300AE.

I ride the FJR every day to work that I can. Today the morning temp was at 39 degrees but I was wearing multiple layers so I was fine.

The Wing does much better than the FJR if you have all the additional "wings" installed like I do. Having said that, I still prefer riding the FJR because of it being 300 pounds lighter and more agile.

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I currently have a Goldwing and 06 FJR. I had a ST1300 for 18 months before the FJR. I recently rode the FJR to the Smokeys and back (2850 miles in 8 days). Several days it was in the mid 40s up in the mountains, and the day we left the temp was 36 degrees, and stayed in the 30's for a couple of hours.

I don't think there is much difference between the Wing and the FJR or ST as far as weather protection. Any difference would be pretty minor. Many people go to higher and/or wider windshields on the ST/FJR for more wind protection. I actually went 2" shorter than stock. I can still raise it enough so that the only wind that hits me is on top of my helmet (just a little). I actually prefer the wind hitting me in the chest most of the time.

I've also ridden the FJR in some heavy rain and was very impressed with it.

Hope this helps.

·
Vendor
22,244 Posts
I have an 06 FJR with a taller Cee Baileys windsheild on it, and the wind protection is just about as good as what I get on the GL1800, and in some ways better, cause I don't get as much buffeting. The electrically adjustable windshield makes all the difference in the world.

The weather protection on my old Concours was real similar as well. You will get a bit more air around your ankles since the GL1800 heads block it better, but it is not that noticeable.

I am taking the FJR out for a spin this afternoon and it is in the low 50's here now, and I will probably just wear my mesh jacket and liner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2002 GL1800 (stock) and a 2 week old FJR1300AE (2,000mi.). I thought I might sale the GL1800 after buying the FJR. Both are great rides but very defferent. I'm going to keep them both. As for cold weather riding, the stock Gl1800 is way better. Better leg protection and better body protection. I'm going to Idaho next week for a couple of days. Temps should be in the 40's-50's I'll take the Wing. By the way the electronic clutch is very cool and very smooth. In 4 years I've never stalled the Wing. I've done it 2 times in one day since having the FJR. Just put it in first without the clutch. oops!

The FJR is fast, lite and fun!
The GL1800 is fast, comfortable and fun!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I owned a '04ST1300, good cold weather bike becuase of full fairing, adjustable windscreen and heat blowing on your lower legs keep you really toasty. I prefer my goldwing/VFR combo but considered the FJR as its more comfy than the VFR but the VFR is more fun. The ZX14 would be a hoot, I really like the looks but it doesn't come with a get out of jail free card. If you get a FJR, get the '06 or'07 for the heat/valve fix.
The ST is a good bike but heavy and you already have that. I like the VFR as a fun/sporty bike.

Steve

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Jeannette and I rode 800 miles last weekend into Georgia and the temps went into the upper 40's at times. I was just as protected on the ST1300 as I am on the wing. I have a Cee Bailey wide and tall screen and Gerbings if I need them, I did not, so not much different when it comes to wind and cold as I see it.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Speaking of sport tourers. I was just reading the latest 3 motorcycle magazines. They did a comparo test on the ST, FJR, BMW. All 3 took the Honda. Suprised the hell out of me. THey said they liked all the non gadget stuff. The ST gets you there with nice protection and it will give you alot of fun. It was about 8K cheaper than the BMW. THey did not like the new trans in the FJR. JUst thought I would pass that along.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Toyo said:
Speaking of sport tourers. I was just reading the latest 3 motorcycle magazines. They did a comparo test on the ST, FJR, BMW. All 3 took the Honda. Suprised the hell out of me. THey said they liked all the non gadget stuff. The ST gets you there with nice protection and it will give you alot of fun. It was about 8K cheaper than the BMW. THey did not like the new trans in the FJR. JUst thought I would pass that along.
I had a ST for 18 months and put 10,000 miles on it. I've now had my FJR for 6 months and have almost 8,000 miles on it. I'm not going to knock the ST, but I like everything about the FJR better. It is more comfortable on a 600 mile day than my ST was after 250 miles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
RE: Question for ST/FJR Owners

I pre-ordered and received my 05 FJR back in Aug 04. I added risers, new Sargent seat (stocker sucked), V-Stream windshield, Starcom intercom system and a Garmin 2710 GPS. I really enjoyed the speed, handling and power of the FJR. I have previously owned and ST1100 and ridden several Beemers 1150RTs. There is no comparison, the FJR is probably the best sport tourer out there. It is so quick and responsive it is scary.

The only real downside for me was comfort level for me after longer rides and the comfort of my wife. Even though she is lean machine, it only took a couple of hours before she was miserable on any seat or pad or cushion I put on for her. We had a GIVI trunk which was also her backrest which worked very good.

A month or two ago I began looking at Goldwings. My kid brother has been on them since he was 19 (41 now) and has always had high praise until he got in with the Harley crowd and sold his 02 and bought two Hardly Ablesons. I have since disowned him...lol.

Anyway, to make a long story longer. Last Saturday the wife and I rode over to Barney's in St Petersburg (FL), just to look and get her opinion, I had been doing my homework and knew what I felt I needed to know, the wife sat on that seat and it was all over. 1.5 hours later, we were riding our 07 dark red A/C/N wing home and couldn't be happier.

I do miss the FJR but only to the point of the solo riding and getting in that need for speed and hitting the few twisties we have here hard. But you know, I found myself taking more chances on the FJR and even though I have been on bikes a long time and was a police motorcycle instructor, I knew that sooner or later....well you know.

Love the wing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
"Opinions? Reasons why I would be miserable with a Sport Touring bike? Help!!!"

I own and ride both a 06 wing and 06 FJR. You may be miserable on a fjr if you try riding it all day long on the stock seat. The throttle is very stiff and very responsive on accelerate and decelerate compared with the wing. Many fjr's have been modified to address this issue. see the FJR FORUM. More mature passengers have a low tolerance for the seating and jerkiness of the FJR.

The FJR has about the same cruising range as the wing.
When I'm solo I use the FJR. With passenger I use wing.
If you like tons of farkles, lights, etc, you will find the wing more accomodating.

My wing with an auxiliary fuel cell has been taken to its full range of five hours on the slab non stop with a passenger try that on a FJR!!!!!

Consider, anything the FJR will do, the wing can up to 125 MPH.

choose well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts