GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about everyone complains about the built in Nav on the Wing. There are a multitude of Garmin GPS units that quite a few seem to like. Is it feasible to take the "guts" out of an automobile model GPS and swap them out with the guts of the onboard GPS on the Wing? Perhaps I don't fully understand (which is very possible), but it seems to me the basics are the same: circuit boards with out puts for monitor, audio, and hopefully, Bluetooth.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
The lack of touchscreen capability !!!!

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
What's missing is how the GPS is integrated into the vehicle's ECM system. Unfortunately, they are by no means a swap-n-play system. We get OEM dash systems in to do various tests on. We've looked at the ability to swap from one dash system to another just for grins-n-giggles. Uh-uh, ain't happening. Different plug assignments, different inputs, some are even vehicle specific from the same manufacturer. While there is a lot of commonality, the differences are enough to where I wouldn't want to try it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Intergration

The same high-level integration that makes GPS units cheap, small, and very capable, makes it impossible to connect only certain parts of it to external components it was not designed for. The old "Heathkit" days of cobbling something together from parts of other stuff are just about gone. Sure was a lot of fun while it lasted.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The old "Heathkit" days of cobbling something together from parts of other stuff are just about gone. Sure was a lot of fun while it lasted.
Yes is was alot of fun! Sad to see those days lost for-ever,,,.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The same high-level integration that makes GPS units cheap, small, and very capable, makes it impossible to connect only certain parts of it to external components it was not designed for. The old "Heathkit" days of cobbling something together from parts of other stuff are just about gone. Sure was a lot of fun while it lasted.
Now there's a company's name that I haven't heard in a long time..

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See, I knew this was too obvious for someone on here to not have tried it! Whenever a "techie" declines to fiddle with swapping things around, it is way too complicated to do it.

Thanks to all who have replied!

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I don't have OEM nav but I do have a permanent" GPS in the form of a hard mounted Garmin 1450 which allows insertion of an SD with nearly unlimited custom routes and POIs. Lots of info if you :fullsize:

Might not be what you are looking for but might help someone. Also.... Someone posted long ago about how to access the NAV screen for external video....

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?243916-ANY-video-to-nav-screen

wrong way, but the NUVI 5000 is one Garmin that accepts external video on the GPS screen.

Posted with my Galaxy through TapaTalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts