GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've watched the video from the Centramtic folks and have decided to buy them but I'm curious and need an answer before I do ...

Considering the thickness of the ring that gets screwed to the hubs of the wheels ..

how is it that - that thickness doesn't throw off how the brake rotors sit in the calipers ??

Thanks in advance for your input .. :bow:

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
how is it that - that thickness doesn't throw off how the brake rotors sit in the calipers ??

Thanks in advance for your input .. :bow:
Sorry that I can't answer your question? But I can tell you that I have had the Centramatics on my bike for about 2 years, and 2 different front tires, and have not had any problems.

·
Registered
300 Posts
+1 on that question.
Does it just consume some of the caliper float distance, making it work in a smaller area?

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Some have had minor adjustments to make. I don't know if using the term float is exactly correct, but look at it like this. As the pads wear they have to move don't they? and more than the thickness of the Centramatics, you're just going the other direction. I did scraped the black coating off of the area that contacts the wheel and rotor on mine!:thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Kinda what Rocket said. You are going to hear all kinds of things, about how stuffing them on the front wheel causes the bike to run in circles and clip mail boxes.

The front calipers float, and if properly service and clean and working the addition of a 32nd of an inch or so is not even an issue.

Now if you have not serviced the brakes for ten years and put the caliper bolts in backwards, ..........ya know.........could be.

·
Registered
132 Posts
They didn't seem to bother mine at all. You could send an email to
[email protected] and ask him. He is a member of this board and sells the Centramatics along with Pressure Pro tire pressure monitoring system which allows me to monitor the tires on my trike and trailer all at the same time.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
centramatics

Just do the "bounce" thing with the front end following the procedure for mounting the front wheel and you'll be fine.The front forks should align themselves just fine on the axle, then tighten the pinch bolts on the left fork leg.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kinda what Rocket said. You are going to hear all kinds of things, about how stuffing them on the front wheel causes the bike to run in circles and clip mail boxes.

The front calipers float, and if properly service and clean and working the addition of a 32nd of an inch or so is not even an issue.

Now if you have not serviced the brakes for ten years and put the caliper bolts in backwards, ..........ya know.........could be.

Kit .. as a manufacturing engineer I understand a 32nd of an inch .. Thanks !

They didn't seem to bother mine at all. You could send an email to
[email protected] and ask him. He is a member of this board and sells the Centramatics along with Pressure Pro tire pressure monitoring system which allows me to monitor the tires on my trike and trailer all at the same time.
Matches .. did you ever have one of those "dumb .. dumb" days where you say to yourself .. "why didn't I think of that" ? .. Thanks for giving me one.
Guess what I'll be doing next !

·
Registered
507 Posts
+1 with Kit and Rocketman the 32nd is not an issue.

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
Just do the "bounce" thing with the front end following the procedure for mounting the front wheel and you'll be fine.The front forks should align themselves just fine on the axle, then tighten the pinch bolts on the left fork leg.
yup thats how i do mine, be sure to put a lite coat of oil or grease on the fat end of the axel before installing it so that when u bounce the front the tube can easilly slide on the axel to line itself up properly, i not sure where the extra space of the centramatics goes but as far as i can tell my fork tube winds up in the same spot with or without the centramatics
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Just had them installed on my '04, I was there every step with a very good mechanic in Tremont, IL.

First, they don't change the alignment of the forks, because they mount on the brake disk mounting area, and the axle and spacers that control location of the forks are not effected by this. The calipers float as mentioned below but will move to accommodate the disk alignment, and won't bother the forks.

They DO put the disks a few thousands farther out. The tubes with the ball bearings are beyond the interference area, and don't factor in, so it is just the thickness of the balancing disk (and not the ring) that effects the brakes.

The calipers are on sliding pins, like almost all factory style brakes these days. Fixed calipers are more for racing cars. So the calipers will align to the slight change in the disk position very quickly.

My mechanic showed me where the brake disk is close to the inside of the forks, but there is still more than enough clearance so that the brake disk won't come close to hitting anything, again we are talking a tiny change in position, the thickness of the disk is something like a business card

When I first got on my bike, the brakes were not very grippy because of this, but within 3 or 4 modest applications of the brakes as slow speed, my brakes were 100% back to normal. So just be aware that those first very few stops won't be near normal, just go slow off the highway till you get your full brakes back. You can probably just roll the bike back and forth before getting on, and do this, but my mechanic knew I would do this myself, so I just took off and before I got out of his parking lot, I had my brakes back. 100%

I love the Centramatics. Best bucks I have spent on this bike yet. We took off the extra weights because they just aren't needed, but some people leave them on, it won't hurt either way, just makes it so much easier to make your wheels look nice without those ugly stick on weights.

You will also hear a very slight noise from the balancers while pushing your bike around with the engine off. That is the ball bearings rolling in the tubes. While underway, the ball bearings basically stabilize so they don't move much within the tubes while underway, and anyway, the engine and road noise will totally mask the very low noise they may make just as you roll to a stop. I have never heard them after starting the engine.

I believe that not only do these make the ride better because the balance is adjusted all the time, but I have noticed on roads with repeating bumps/waves that are close together, the balancers try to solve that problem too, and many of these annoying sections of road are smoother now (not totally smooth, just smoothER) :) The Centramatics can't solve momentary bumps of course, but quick repeating bumps will be seen as an imbalance and you will get a bit smoother ride. I have tried these now over several hundred miles and at speeds from a roll through 80+ mph. NOTE: Centramatics site says that they start working at speeds of about 20 mph and up. Below that, a wheel imbalance is not going to show up as vibration.

this was my experience, others may vary, but shouldn't. One other thread about this on this site mentions someone having to grind in a little clearance in the brake caliper. I wonder why this was necessary, as the caliper should have moved quickly, but you should check this when installing them just in case. I had zero clearance problems.

I love them.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dynodon ..

your answer .. totally understood .. and exactly what I was looking for.. :thumbup:

THANKS

·
Registered
132 Posts
Matches .. did you ever have one of those "dumb .. dumb" days where you say to yourself .. "why didn't I think of that" ? .. Thanks for giving me one.
Guess what I'll be doing next!

Have I? I'd like a day or two that wasn't "dumb..dumb". :shrug::shrug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts