GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your MPG with and without trailer? Are these figures combined city/Hwy or all long distance Hwy?

Thanks in advance
Wayne

·
Registered
758 Posts
Questions for thjose with aluma trailers MPG

35 - 36 MPG with out the trailer and 33 - 35 with the trailer loaded with about 150lbs plus tent and tent bag on top of trailer. Not a sugnifcant difference. That's mainly hwy miles around 70MPH for several tanks of gas on an extended trip.

Farmer Jack

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Wayne, I haven't really noticed that much of a difference. The last ride I did to Georgia, I averaged 38.3MPG on the way up and 39.1 on the way back. I had about 200lbs of "stuff" in the trailer.

Bartman

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I don't have an Aluma, but do have a Piggybacker, and load it righteously! in the area of 545 Lbs on the last trip. I have a Trike which by its nature gets some less than a two wheeler, normal 2 up hi-way under 70 (65 - 68 GPS ) and get 34.5 to 37. Loaded heavy at 545 on my last trip to Ark ( mostly slightly uphill from here ) I got 32.5/33. I don't think I could keep it on the ground if it was loaded as light as 150/200 lbs.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Don't tell me your actually thinking about pulling that dust collector, are you?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just thinking about the Colorado trip.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
My MPG is much more affected by how far I twist the throttle, than whether or not I have the Aluma hooked on. I've never worrried much about it or kept very close track, but my best estimate is that maybe the Aluma affects MPG by about 2MPG if I run 65-70 maybe a little more if I run 75-80.
That's my story and I'[m sticking to it.

I don't care how much the MPG is affected, bringing along all my stuff that fits in the trailer and the cold Coronas in the cooler ........... priceless :a13:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Best way to tell how gas mileage is affected is to ride with another Wing or Two on a trip and record fuel used at each leg.

Fuel costs are not to be sneezed at, but having another 30 to 50 miles range is very nice, especially where the stations are far apart and hours of operation of the service stations is not known.

A friend and I were on our Wings coming back from Wing Ding and I led us through some really back back roads in Arkansas in a rather spririted fashion until we realized that there were no gas stations for the last three towns, finally getting a single gallon of gas each at an old grocery with a single pump in a gravel parking area, with a crescent wrench turn on key and digital wheels to tell us how much we spent (times two). At that point we had 263 miles on the tanks and I had my always present trailer. He was solo. We got gas at Dover with 304 GPS miles and I took 6.343 gallons plus the one bought in the hills. In my Trailer was the E3 70 tire I had bought and several other things plus Booth display goods in the trailer in addition to my regular stuff.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I rode with Aztec Tom to Alaska and back. He was getting 5 mpg less than me consistently pulling his Aluma. Without the trailer, he gets a couple of mpg better than me. We were running well above the posted limit most of the time.

Even with over 200k on his bike and his obesity, he can hang right with me on a throttle twist. Or maybe I should say I can hang with him until I let him go. With him pulling the trailer, I can walk off and leave him. He has an 01 and mine is an 02. I did the ECM change. He did but went back to the original.

·
Registered
419 Posts
We usually run around 3 mpg less while pulling our trailer. The trailer is typically pretty full, but, not a lot of weight - maybe 100 - 125 pounds or so. We ride generally around 70 - 75 mph.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
we tow a Piggy Backer, & @ 75-80 mph I averaged 39mpg all hi-way from
NJ to the BRP in Virginia.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to be giving it a try real soon.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I typically get much better mileage pulling a trailer. Without I have a difficult time making 30 mg, most of the time its 27/28 sometimes, sadly its even worse (24/25) but not without its rewards in fun factor. Pulling the trailer (escapade) I prob avg 36/37. This is with a corrected speedo.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Joseph,

Your tire mileage must not be good!

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Tom, front I normally have to change at about 10,000, sometimes I get a little more. Rear lasts anywhere from 7 to 9,000 normally closer to the 8 range. I dont know how the E3's will hold up, so far the first front I blew in the accident and the rear just hasnt got many miles yet. I do better on tires when I tour of course.

My V rod is another story. I got 6,000 out of my rear and by the time I noticed it was probably close to 800 miles longer than it should have been run. The V rod front should make 10,000

Always amazes me when I read where someone managed 16,000 on a rear tire, some even higher.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Joseph,

I had 23,000 real miles on my last set of E3 70s when I changed them to go to Harrison, Arkansas. I had another 2,000 or so on the front and probably 3,000 to 4,000 on the rear at that point before wear bars.

All, of course, with the Tailwind on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts