GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2016 I purchased an Ultimate King seat for my 2006 and I love it. So when I got my 2017 I wanted an Ultimate King seat for that as well. I finally got it and it is great just like my 2006 seat. However, the sides of the seat pan are so tight to the bike that you can't remove/install the side battery cover without removing the seat. It's so tight that I can't get the rain cover to slide between the seat and cover to stay in place.

I'm wondering if that's normal for the 2012-2017 seats. I guess there's no way to stretch it out - the pan must not be metal.

I did ask Ultimate Seats about this and thought it would be a design flaw. Now they are ignoring me. I'm disappointed because I do like the seat. It's past the 14-day trial and I wouldn't want to return it anyway. But you'd think they'd work with me and/or show some concern for making the seat pans in the future.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yeah, I thought my GL1500 was unreasonable until I bought this bike. IMHO, neither seat is cooperative when trying to get the side panels on/off. I actually find it easier with the Ultimate than with the stock seat as my Ultimate doesn't have those white tabs sticking down.

And you are absolutely right. I have to start the rain cover at the forward end give some good encouragement but it never seems to look "right" along the sides. Good thing I only need it once in a while.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
597 Posts
I had a dead battery on my 2012 the other day. I have the Ultimate Midrider on it and I had no problems
removing the side cover other than it took a little wiggling to free it but not interference with the seat.
It IS tight though

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
the sides of the seat pan are so tight to the bike that you can't remove/install the side battery cover without removing the seat. It's so tight that I can't get the rain cover to slide between the seat and cover to stay in place.
I had the same situation on my 2013.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I had several Ultimate seats on 6-10 models and loved them. Got one for my 17 and it is not even close to being as comfortable as the others plus is extremely tight as far as removing the panels, as you mentioned. Also had problems with the heat not working. As you stated, weren’t helpful and offered no explanation as to why it isn’t as comfortable so just don’t use the heat and deal with it not being as comfortable.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My new on is just as comfortable - no complaints there. It and the one on my 2006 both throw WAY more heat than stock. I don't have any idea why yours would be less comfortable. The two seem pretty much the same to me. I just did 4,000 miles (19 days) on the new seat and it was great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts