GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Realistically, what kind of average running speeds can someone expect on I-80 and I-25 without getting run-over or risking getting a time/date receipts from Patrolman Friendly?

I'm doing a plan for an IB ride (Bun Burner Gold) that would pass through WY (Spokane, WA to Ogden, UT via I-90, I-25 and I-80), and just wanted to get a sense of whether I've got a shot at making good time.

Right now, Google maps is giving me a 23 hour ride. But, I'd like to know if that is capable of being cut down through WY (have ridden through MT... so, I know what travel conditions are like there) to give me some extra eat/dash or short nap time.

TIA

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, I'm not much of a "speed deamon" but I consistantly run 79 - 80 on the interstate and haven't gotten stopped in the 15 years I've lived here. That being said....next time I do it I'll probably get busted!! :22yikes:

·
Registered
206 Posts
The roads you mentioned are the Highway Patrol's roads and there are a good amount of Troopers and Deputies that work those roads. For the most part I tend to travel less than 10 over and am generally ok. I believe 10 or more over tends to get officers attention, but then again I have occasionally seen citations issued for 5 over, it depends on the officer.

I got stopped on my Wing by WHP heading to Cody today. I didn't ask how fast I was going nor did the Trooper say. I was VERY glad I didn't get a citation, just a warning.

Enjoy your ride and have a fun SAFE trip!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm generally of the <10 over (max) mind-set, anyway. But, in the recent past, I have pushed that - very selectively - out on I-94 in eastern Montana.

Even if, over the course of riding the section from Crow Agency, MT to SLC (intermediate refueling of the fuel tanks in Cheyenne and Little America) I can only save 10, 15, 20 minutes, that's time that I can either take a longer power-nap at my planned rest break locations or simply stretch my legs at a gas station.

The roads you mentioned are the Highway Patrol's roads and there are a good amount of Troopers and Deputies that work those roads. For the most part I tend to travel less than 10 over and am generally ok. I believe 10 or more over tends to get officers attention, but then again I have occasionally seen citations issued for 5 over, it depends on the officer.

[snip]

Enjoy your ride and have a fun SAFE trip!!
Thanks! Any additional input from others is still welcome as I fine-tune the plan.

My dad was raised in WY (Lincoln County- Kemmerer/Opal, specifically), and a couple of summers ago I was able to do a ride that ran through his home town (see Google link immediately under the photo in my sig). Wanted to see more of WY, so, decided to make it part of a LD ride.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay.. The schedule is set. I'll be buzzing through Wyoming from about noon on Thursday 07 July, hitting Cheyenne around 5 - 6 PM (depends upon what I can maintain from Billings to Cheyenne), and then heading west along I-80.

I'll be carrying my Crackberry, so, if you guys can pass along any last minute road intel, I'd be indebted.

TIA!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wyoming speed

We run about 79 mph on the wing, acording to our gps thats about 75 mph, cars & pu trucks run around 80 mph , cheyfinn
Realistically, what kind of average running speeds can someone expect on I-80 and I-25 without getting run-over or risking getting a time/date receipts from Patrolman Friendly?

I'm doing a plan for an IB ride (Bun Burner Gold) that would pass through WY (Spokane, WA to Ogden, UT via I-90, I-25 and I-80), and just wanted to get a sense of whether I've got a shot at making good time.

Right now, Google maps is giving me a 23 hour ride. But, I'd like to know if that is capable of being cut down through WY (have ridden through MT... so, I know what travel conditions are like there) to give me some extra eat/dash or short nap time.

TIA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts