GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Never in the history of this site have I ever read Greg deviate from the Honda gospel aka the service manual !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe he is coming around to our way of thinking, but probably not.
Wait he does deviate he will install Traxxion springs in front forks😳 but will use only Honda fluid😂😂😂😂😂😉 besides his girls on his avatar don’t have Honda stamped on them unless the stamp is in an obscure location…..🙄😅😜

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
People treat these bikes better than they would ever consider treating their cars!
They do it because they can... most of us don't remotely inspect everything like Greg suggest because we don't have the time or desire to take it to that level. I maintain my bikes, but never on that level. But there are people who treat their cars this way... I've seen them on YouTube. They are just as particular about washing, waxing, polishing the glass... and by God, Amsoil every 5,000 miles... fluid changes just as often as MC people do it... Nitrogen only in the tires.... as apparently 78% N is not remotely adequate..

... his girls on his avatar don’t have Honda stamped on them unless the stamp is in an obscure location…..🙄😅😜
Trust me, it is.... Greg would never have an aftermarket girl in his shop..... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
They do it because they can... most of us don't remotely inspect everything like Greg suggest because we don't have the time or desire to take it to that level. I maintain my bikes, but never on that level. But there are people who treat their cars this way... I've seen them on YouTube. They are just as particular about washing, waxing, polishing the glass... and by God, Amsoil every 5,000 miles... fluid changes just as often as MC people do it... Nitrogen only in the tires.... as apparently 78% N is not remotely adequate..

Trust me, it is.... Greg would never have an aftermarket girl in his shop..... :ROFLMAO:
Hey Doc, I am an oil~n~filter changeOHLIC , I do wash my bike after every ride, (and wax it, nearly every rainy day in my garage).... BUT to change out the brake/clutch fluid yearly, not so ....Although I do change my coolant, spark plugs, and spray fogging oil into each cyl every season when I have to put her away for the winter :cry::cry: BUT I also ride it on a daily basic during the summer.....She's sitting in my garage now up on jacks (no tires on concrete floor) w/ battery maintain'rrr plugged in, and a good dose of my favorite, additive, Seafoam, in a full tank of fuel....
I NOW HAVE MY SNOW SKIES OUT AND WAITING FOR A GOOD SNOW DUMP...... I did have friends that skied Killington Vermont this last week, and , had to say that conditions were pretty good, considering it was all machined made snow....(I just had knee surgery, on my left knee last week so I can't ski, till January....(or the good doc say's it's ok, to abuse my knee's again.................:eek:

Ronnie
11/25/21

Reactions: Destindoc

·
Vendor
19,746 Posts
Never in the history of this site have I ever read Greg deviate from the Honda gospel aka the service manual !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe he is coming around to our way of thinking, but probably not.
Than you might be missing out on the best information that's available here on this forum for free. I'm often posting "best practices" that only comes after doing this professionally 17+ years.

As for coming around to "our way of thinking, but probably not," ... you're correct, but only on the "probably not' part. My DIY days of learning from, and helping my dad work on cars, ended at 15. Once I enter auto shop, those roles quickly reversed. Me and 15 other high school students we accepted into probably the best-run auto shop program in the world. What made our shop program so differet is this. We had a great teacher, with a strict curriculum, and an extreely well equiped, well tooled shop. Once accepted, the auto shop program was 2-yrs, 1/2 a schoold day as a junior, and 1/2 a school day as senior. Our shop grades had to remain a 'B' or better, or get kicked out. As a junior, there were 16 students, and as a senior there were only 12 of us.

But guess what ??? The Chevrolet Corvair and the Chrysler New Port my parents drove became more reliable. The Corvair didn't have to tow the Chrysler home anymore, and the Chrysler quit having to tow the Corvair. They started getting maintained properly. My dad and mom, who both had jobs, were far more likely to arrived at work on time, and safe. The re-capped tires were replaced with brand new ones. Tune-ups were done per the manufactures recommendations. Batteries were regularly tested and replaced as need. Other systems where inspected, repaired, and maintained correctly. Front suspension parts were inspected, replaced as needed, and reqular alignments were done. As a result, tires lasted longer, the cars got better MPG, and car money was saved and went towards buying other things.

If you choose to follow more of what I write, for free, you can learn how Honda's Maintenance Schedule falls short, and the add'l things that I do to keep Wings far more reliable, and how it helps in keeping overall costs of repairs and maintence down.

·
Vendor
19,746 Posts
People treat these bikes better than they would ever consider treating their cars!
At some point, they might have learned a lesson like me. At least for me, reliability is absolute paramont. Here are some lessons I never thought I'd learn, and how I leaned them. Basically I was running my new 2003 Yami Waverunner with only 14hrs on its clock in the Everglades. With a fast setting sun, my engine seized. Here are the lessons:
  • if riding in an area where there is little to no cell signal, turn you phone off to save the battery
  • sometimes there is no such thing as rolling up your windows to protect yourself from danger, and/or the environment (mosquitoes, gators, and snakes)
  • sometime help might be many miles away, and cell signal might be little to none
  • if broken down in the Everglades, there might be a reason vultures start landing on the tree branch above your head ... they know :(

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
At some point, they might have learned a lesson like me. At least for me, reliability is absolute paramont. Here are some lessons I never thought I'd learn, and how I leaned them. Basically I was running my new 2003 Yami Waverunner with only 14hrs on its clock in the Everglades. With a fast setting sun, my engine seized. Here are the lessons:
  • if riding in an area where there is little to no cell signal, turn you phone off to save the battery
  • sometimes there is no such thing as rolling up your windows to protect yourself from danger, and/or the environment (mosquitoes, gators, and snakes)
  • sometime help might be many miles away, and cell signal might be little to none
  • if broken down in the Everglades, there might be a reason vultures start landing on the tree branch above your head ... they know :(
Curious minds will want to know: why did the engine seize? Was this before or after you graduated from the auto shop program?

Many of us still carry tools and parts in our vehicles in anticipation for the "unexpected." I'd bet most of those people that do are DIYs.

·
Vendor
19,746 Posts
Curious minds will want to know: why did the engine seize? Was this before or after you graduated from the auto shop program?
Great question, and I wanted to know too. I'm sure it was an oiling issue. Unforunantly, Yamaha was not able to say. Since we were litterally riding out in the middle of "know-where," we towed my ski with my buddies ski for 45 mins+ to the nearest boat launch. Apparently if a 2003 GP1300r Waverunner is towed at more then 13mph, water ingests the engine (2-stroke), so by the time the ski was looked at by a Yamaha dealer mechanic, the engine was siezed by water too.

As for carrying tools. Unlike today's skis, that one had about 1gal of storage. It was used for carrying required paperwork, an Owner's Manual, a whistle, a towel, a tee-shirt, 2-15' tow-ropes, it OEM tool kit, and a spare, pair of sun glasses. Back then, storage was a premium.

For me 2003 was long after graduating from high-school.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I had a couple of Sea Doo's jet skies (215 HP) a few years ago, BUT sold them for a Searay 135 HP speed boat after a couple of years usage.............They were fun, BUT very, impractical here in the north, where the waters are always cold, and very short summers .

Ronnie
11/27/21

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg
21 - 28 of 28 Posts