GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I'm picking up my new 08 GL1800 (GL18HPNAM) this Saturday in Chattanooga at Southern PowerSports for the ride back to FlatLand.

Where do you folks purchase the Maintenance/Service Plans and are they priced differently depending on where you purchase it?

Thx in advance!

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
If your talking about warranty, I agree, get it from HAL.

IF your talking about actual scheduled maintenance things like oil changes, tires etc that the dealers offer, I would save your money and do your own wrenching. Look for Fred's DVDs on here and it'll make working on the bike MUCH easier and save you A LOT of money.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dave,

First congrats on the new bike. The only suggestion being that if you're actually planning to ride from Chattanooga to Florida this weekend, you'd best bring some arctic gear as it's supposed to be in single digits here for temps.

That being said, I actually -- another first -- agree with hossman on the "save your money" part. The idea of wrenching on a Wing can be intimidating at first glance, but it's REALLY not that difficult for standard maintenance.

The worst part is learning how to successfully remove and reattach the tupperware. Once you get over your fear of that (and it'll happen quickly), there's no reason to pay dealers nearly a grand for a service plan (different from a warranty) to change the oil (a 20 minute job) every six months.

I say this as someone who stupidly sat in the dealer's office, intimidated by the size of the bike and let them talk me into the service plan.

Wayne

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
oops...i thought you asked about warranty plans...my bad...i never even considered a service/maint plan...i do my own...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys, I have been doing all the maint on my 2002 K1200LT and 06 GS Adventure since they were both new, so I'm quite familiar with Tupperware removal and wrenching.

The reason I ask, is that I have two buddies that are Wingers and both purchased the Maintenance Plans, but only use them on the Major Services that require major disassembly and time commitments.

By doing the Oil Changes and other minor service work themselves, they are saving a ton of cash on the Major Services.

I'll buy the Extended Warranty from Hal, and maybe the Service Plan if his prices are competitive with other dealers.

Also, I'm having the dealer install a couple of 12v power outlets for my Gerbings Gear, it's gonna be a bone chiller Sat Morning.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I don't think anyone has ever gotten their money's worth on a maintenance plan. When I bought my 08 the dealer tried to throw in the warranty for just under $900 (they told me it usually runs $1,200), I told them it was to much then they wispered they might be able to let me have it for an even $800. Then I showed them the warranty mentioned above and watched their face go blank and say I don't know how they can do that.
Maintenance plan = Bad
Warranty from Hal = Good

IMHO

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Extended warranties can only be purchased in FLORIDA. and its $800 at most dealers. Dealers have to be Insurance agents, registered by the State insurance dept. It sucks but that's our State Government for ya.

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Extended warranties can only be purchased in FLORIDA. and its $800 at most dealers. Dealers have to be Insurance agents, registered by the State insurance dept. It sucks but that's our State Government for ya.
very true... in florida the wonderfull idiots in charge of our government decided we must pay full price...

800 smackers for the warranty in florida... no discounts... :evil:

·
Registered
800 Posts
I was just at a dealer and questioned them about the extended warranty, they wouldn't budge ($800). I told them if we weren't in Florida I could buy it for under $500, they basically told me I was full of it. I responded by telling them they need to do some homework. I did pass out a couple cards for HDL to 2 wingers that had never heard this site.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks Guys, I have been doing all the maint on my 2002 K1200LT and 06 GS Adventure since they were both new, so I'm quite familiar with Tupperware removal and wrenching.

The reason I ask, is that I have two buddies that are Wingers and both purchased the Maintenance Plans, but only use them on the Major Services that require major disassembly and time commitments.

By doing the Oil Changes and other minor service work themselves, they are saving a ton of cash on the Major Services.

I'll buy the Extended Warranty from Hal, and maybe the Service Plan if his prices are competitive with other dealers.

Also, I'm having the dealer install a couple of 12v power outlets for my Gerbings Gear, it's gonna be a bone chiller Sat Morning.
Dave,

Getting to the motor on the Wing is much easier than the LT. The tupperware is a piece of cake... If you are going to do your own wrenching do a search for Fred Harmon's DVDs. They're a great investment.

Tim

·
Registered
841 Posts
Congrats on the new wing! I'll never forget picking mine up.......I got about three miles down the road and you could of stuck a fork in me cause I was done!

Bring some clothes cause it's colder than a well diggers butt in Ga!!

·
Registered
20,674 Posts
becarefull because i think most of the Maintenance/Service Plans are only good at the dealer where the Maintenance/Service Plan is bought ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts