GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Belly Pan on my bike a couple of weeks back. I've read of too many incidents of punctured oil filters. So, on it went.

Does the pan hold in heat from the bottom of the motor? If so, would drilling holes in it to allow air flow be a good idea? Not large ones but a 1/4 inch or so. Possibly on the section that covers the oil filter, leaving the side that the filter is on hole free.

What you guys think?

Mike

·
Chard Member
12,969 Posts
melmikc said:
Does the pan hold in heat from the bottom of the motor?

Mike
It's a piece of sheetmetal wrapped around your headers. My guess would be yes! LOL....

·
Registered
755 Posts
I am real supprised that the Tulsa doesn't come with louvers in them. Like the old hot rod style louvers. That way the air flow under the bike would actually draw the heat out. If Tulsa wants to give me the first set for giving them this idea, it's OK.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Water cooled engines dissipate their heat thru the radiator so it's a moot question.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I drilled 16 holes in my front removable cover. I made my holes 1/8. The holes are placed evenly across the cover. The air when riding comes thru and shoots out the back since it is open. As far as standing in traffic, if you do al ot of that, drill some hole on the sides.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Ellary said:
Water cooled engines dissipate their heat thru the radiator so it's a moot question.
Where does the heat radiating from the headers go once the air flow is blocked by the belly pan?

I drilled several rows of holes in the back part of the pan before the coolant tank. This allows the lower front cowl to act as an air scoop and for the air to flow past the headers, like it is supposed to, and out through the holes in the belly pan.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Would not any heat between the engine and belly pan, flow out the back of the bike, with the air flow that comes through the vent holes in the lower cowl?

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
As stated above, the Wing is water-cooled. It was not designed to dissipate heat through the bottom of the engine (take a look sometime…you won‘t see any cooling fins down there). Assuming the radiators have a sufficient flow of cooling air and the cooling system was operating normally, the pan would have no affect on engine temperature.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
Ellary said:
Where does the heat radiating from the headers go once the air flow is blocked by the belly pan?
Well, for one thing, it is not blocked! The air gets warmer because it moves slower and that is only when you are sitting still.

The effect is so small it shouldn't warrant conversation.

It's, how should I say.....Balderdash !

Bradford

·
Chard Member
12,969 Posts
I don't remember guys, did Honda recall ALL of the first 3 years of the GL1800 because they were running TOO cold? :yes: ROFL......

Anybody still have their sticker that stated to pull to the side of the road if your GL1800 started to overheat? I wish I would have kept mine. That was a real jewel from American Honda......

P:S
I have no use for the belly pans, but I also don't care if anyone else uses them. It's your cash and your scoot. Do with it what you want! LOL....

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
"Balderdash ?.....Wow I havent heard that one in a loooong time !
I think I like it ?..........LOL

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Bulldog said:
Would not any heat between the engine and belly pan, flow out the back of the bike, with the air flow that comes through the vent holes in the lower cowl?

Bulldog
If you remove the front part of the pan and look in there with a mirror and flashlight you will see that the coolant tank and centerstand block most of the opening to the rear of the pan. The air must then go upwards around the motor and wiring and electronics to find its way out through the bodywork or any other path it can find. This is very uncomfortable on hot summer nights at low speeds. A problem I noticed in the 1st 45 minutes after installing mine. It was like riding a rolling sauna. Drilling the holes to let the air out the bottom made the difference.

S

·
0 Posts
My belly pan is clamped right onto the pipes - never gets more than warm to the touch and the airflow is from the open front to rear. I very much doubt there is any hear retention due to the pan, in fact I think the airflow is improved and probably assists in lower oil pan heat.

Also much more controlable in tornado's

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Mike L said:
"Balderdash ?.....Wow I havent heard that one in a loooong time !
I think I like it ?..........LOL
Yer welcome Mike. I will slingshot ya back in time occasionally. It's fun to knock the dust off of some words so the unwashed masses have something to quizzle over.

Bradford

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm with Red on this one. Let me tell you my story. Installed belly pan. It was summer, 90/95F that day. Went for a ride with the wife to lunch. I notice that very time I stopped the fans where running as soon as I stopped. When we got home took the belly pan off went on the same ride fans didn't run at very stop, it went back to it's usual having to sit at a light for 3-4 minutes befor the the fans would come on. Does a belly pan hold in the heat? Did on mine!! But like Red said it's your bike and your money. There are other ways the portect the coolant reservoir.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Fox in GA said:
I'm with Red on this one. Let me tell you my story. Installed belly pan. It was summer, 90/95F that day. Went for a ride with the wife to lunch. I notice that very time I stopped the fans where running as soon as I stopped. When we got home took the belly pan off went on the same ride fans didn't run at very stop, it went back to it's usual having to sit at a light for 3-4 minutes befor the the fans would come on. Does a belly pan hold in the heat? Did on mine!! But like Red said it's your bike and your money. There are other ways the portect the coolant reservoir.
I read this as...Put the belly pan on and your fans may run more often. Small trade off for the protection.

Bradford

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
A post like this has been beat to death over heat or no heat. Some think it is holding heat, some see no difference.

I believe that the protection that the belly pan offers, not only for the coolant res but the oil filter and undercarriage of the bike, is a better trade off than NOTHING!

I know first hand what it is like NOT having a belly pan on. Had a piece of metal on the roadway go thru my oil filter. Very ugly! Just glad it was the oil filter and not the engine block.

Do as you wish...... I highly reccomend the Tulsa Belly Pan!!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Again!!!! The BELLY PAN does NOT cause any additional operating temp. in the oil or coolant.
As far as holes in the front section or louvers, these will allow object that hit the Belly Pan to "Catch" and maybe rip the Belly Pan off or cause damage that could be avoided if they were not present.
They do NOTHING to aid to any cooling!! Only to possibly cause damage.
Ask anyone that has damaged the bottom of their's about the "gouges", if there was holes or louvers, there could have been signficant damage to the Belly Pan and the filter, coolant tank or other engine components. like engine cases!!
So if you want holes or louvers, go ahead, it's your $$ and your motorcycle.
We just do NOT believe there is any need, based on years of experience and tests, and the potential of additional damage with no gain isn't worth the expense and added cost to the customer.
Regards
Allen
Tulsa Enterprises

·
Registered
741 Posts
I am going to take all the hoods off my cars tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts