GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I'm glued to my TV when I see these kids on those dirt bikes in those
matching riding suits coming off those ramps and doing 360's while climbing off their seats in the process and back on,
then landing squarely right side up.
I think that sport should be in the Olympics.

Any who, for those in the know, and I realizing there's a big weight difference here,
but is it possible to take our 900 lb Goldwings off some of those ramps, do 360's
and live to tell about?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Have someone video tape it and have your widow post it here.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I don't care about seeing some fool try a 360 on a wing, but I would pay good money, to see someone do an Evil Knievel on a wing. I wonder how the improved frame welding would hold up? :wink:

·
Registered
310 Posts
RodeHard could do it.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Its gotta be winter......... :roll:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
OK, I'll try to answer your question:

Yes, it might be possible; provided the Wing has enough horsepower. Those stunts are indeed all about physics. With enough power to generate enough speed you can get any vehicle to do that stuff. The problem is can you generate enough momentum?

I'm much too lazy to do the math now, but you would have to have the Wing traveling about 5 or 6 times faster to do the same stunt (how much do those dirt things weigh anyway?). That would mean you would have to travel about 180MPH.

I guess, when I put some thought to it, the Wing can't do it. It would be fun to watch though....

·
Registered
552 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
is it possible to take our 900 lb Goldwings off some of those ramps, do 360's
and live to tell about?
Hold my beer and watch me :lol:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
One might be able to get it in the air, as Rastoff mentioned, but the landing would be a disaster. At over 1/2 ton (that's including the rider and fluids), the suspension would collapse.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,543 Posts
azblackbird said:
Wi_Winger said:
is it possible to take our 900 lb Goldwings off some of those ramps, do 360's
and live to tell about?
Hold my beer and watch me :lol:
That reminds me of the joke about a *******'s last words,

Hey, watch this! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Wanderer said:
One might be able to get it in the air, as Rastoff mentioned, but the landing would be a disaster. At over 1/2 ton (that's including the rider and fluids), the suspension would collapse.
Now that you mention it, it really would be fun to watch.

Wi_Winger,
Let us know when you're gonna do it.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I don't know about all that. It sounds to me kinda like a sumo wrestler try'in to jump. Sure he might be able to get it all up in the air, but oooooohhhh that landing!!! It sure wouldn't be purdy. :shock: :lol: :wink:

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I wounder if the frame would crack on the landing. Do ya think?
**** :shock:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I wonder if Max at TD could make a suspension that would survive the landing. If yuou look at those bikes and how muck movement their suspension has, you'd need to be 8' tall to ride on an equally equipped GW....

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks People.
I figured this idea wouldn't work.
Concider the weight of the 1800, one would really have to be moving, and then the landing........OUCH !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts