GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for those who have traded from a previous model.
Have you noticed any difference in the headlight output.
I really like the look of the blacked out headlights, but am curious if there is a loss of side lighting.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
The blacked out portion is not on the housing optical surfaces. Therefore, there should be no difference in the performance of the 2012 headlamps vs. earlier 1800 models.

What do you mean by "side lighting"?

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The blacked out portion is not on the housing optical surfaces. Therefore, there should be no difference in the performance of the 2012 headlamps vs. earlier 1800 models.

I know that the main reflectors are not blacked out and forward lighting should not be effected, but the secondary reflective surfaces that create the halo of light that illuminates the side of the road are.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Thats a good question, ive converted to projectors so not on same playing field blacked out and all..hope you get your answer

·
Registered
672 Posts
I really like the headlights on the 2012 models. Was a big draw for me before I opted for the 2010. I wonder if there's a mod that can be done to the 2012 to get that effect.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats a good question, ive converted to projectors so not on same playing field blacked out and all..hope you get your answer
That looks like an impressive mod.
What was involved it converting to projectors?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
what larry said....fun project as well. northern folks should make this a winter project..down south in the heat of the summer worked for me, umm... I was in a bit of some shade:thumbup:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I can't tell any difference from my 08, there good lights and look great! :thumbup:

I did get the fogs installed and use them all the time.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Mine are every bit as good as the ones on my bike as well.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

I saw an earlier post (I believe from Tom Finch) that stated that there was a difference in the actual reflector that resulted in deminished side lighting. I have not been able to confirm that.
Does anyone have additional info?

Jeff

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw an earlier post (I believe from Tom Finch) that stated that there was a difference in the actual reflector that resulted in deminished side lighting. I have not been able to confirm that.
Does anyone have additional info?

Jeff
That was also my concern.
I really like the blacked out look and it would go well with the black on yellow theme on my bike, but I do a lot of riding at night in deer country and would not want to lose any of the side illumination I have now.
The two replies from TrapDog and Goldwinger12 ease my concerns a bit. Now I need to see if they will even fit a 2010.

Thanks
Jerry

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
That was also my concern.
I really like the blacked out look and it would go well with the black on yellow theme on my bike, but I do a lot of riding at night in deer country and would not want to lose any of the side illumination I have now.
The two replies from TrapDog and Goldwinger12 ease my concerns a bit. Now I need to see if they will even fit a 2010.

Thanks
Jerry
View attachment 30351 You could crack them eggs open and paint them yourself. Might save you a few bucks. Any questions just ask! alan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts