GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am upgrading from a Garman V. Does the 2610 have an auto recalculating feature if I blow past an exit. The V does and is kinda nice.

Also, can the memory be upgraded to hole all the 48 states in it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes, and it recalculates fast. You need to buy a 2Gb flash memory card for the 2610, and you can load all of the U.S. and Canada into the unit. It takes up about 1.5Gb of space.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The 2610 is powerful and fast. Recalc can often complete before you get a quarter mile...

One feature I really like about it is the ability to put as many waypoints as you want in there, and have it find an optimum route for you. For instance, put in your final destination, say Key West and let it do the route and get ready to navigate. Then hold the Route button a second till the menu pops up and start adding waypoints, like hotels, whatever. It will auto route them, optimize the route for time or distance, and walk you through it. This is SUPER for touring and sightseeing as well. Put in all the monuments in DC, or the major points of interest in a big city and just let the 2610 guide you around wiht nary a wasted turn.

There's a great undocumented features list at
http://home.socal.rr.com/diverhank/SP26 ... atures.htm

Great reading for the 2610, dangest GPS I ever saw!

Ed

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all that replied. Just what I wanted to hear.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ed,
The 2610 is powerful and fast...One feature I really like about it is the ability to put as many waypoints as you want in there...
We ride "motorcycle mobile" communications for Charity bicycle tour events. We cannot allow the GPS to control the route -- we end up with many waypoints in order to "force" the GPS to follow the exact route.

Garmin GPS have a 50-waypoint limit per route. It's pretty unusual to have that many waypoints per route and you may never have hit the limit. I have been programming for these events for four years but just discovered this 50-waypoint limitation three months ago...!

I just finished the GPS file for an upcoming event and ended up with a total of 123 waypoints. We got around the limitation by spreading the waypoints over five route segments...!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Hey Chuck - send me the file(s) and I'll try to load them in the iWay and see how much it takes to make it puke :)

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
If you enter way points out of order you can auto sort so as to your route will not go in circles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts