GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local Honda dealer is putting on a little iron butt 1000 run. I was interested in riding along until I heard what their route was. Depart SW Missouri, through Oklahoma and run through Dallas, Houston and Galveston to get to the Gulf. Then they are going to "take a dip" then run back to Missouri. He told me it was a little over the 1000 miles (1300 to be more precise) and it would be tight but they "think" they can make it. I told them I wasn't interested. Running 1300 miles through 3 cities "twice" would push the time cushion to tight, if they make it at all.

Am I stupid or can it be done with a group of riders. I drive 18 wheels through Dallas and Houston fairly often and the traffic and construction sucks.

What say you?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Since it's a group ride, somebody has to choose the route. IMO, choosing a proper route is prerequisite when attempting a difficult ride such as 1300 miles in 24 hours. Thus, if you don't like the route, skip that ride and do your own thing. There are lots of great places to ride that don't involve crossing urban areas multiple times.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Any ride anywhere trying to get that kind of mileage in less than 24hrs shows a disregard for personal safety IMHO.
Use to do about 1200 from my home to my place in Florida, in the cage, driving straight through. Wife and I switched off driving.That was still a dangerous thing to do. Driving all night-when that's the time you body is used to being asleep.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
The local Honda dealer is putting on a little iron butt 1000 run. I was interested in riding along until I heard what their route was. Depart SW Missouri, through Oklahoma and run through Dallas, Houston and Galveston to get to the Gulf. Then they are going to "take a dip" then run back to Missouri. He told me it was a little over the 1000 miles (1300 to be more precise) and it would be tight but they "think" they can make it. I told them I wasn't interested. Running 1300 miles through 3 cities "twice" would push the time cushion to tight, if they make it at all.

Am I stupid or can it be done with a group of riders. I drive 18 wheels through Dallas and Houston fairly often and the traffic and construction sucks.

What say you?
To finish 1300 miles in 24 hours your block speed would need to be just a hair over 54 mph. Running down I-35 on a weekend riding alone should be little problem, in a group could be a different story. Running a Wing "on the clock" will require about 8 to 10 fuel stops if you do not have an Aux fuel tank, in a group that would take about two hours maybe even three hours of stopped time. Now your average required block speed is better than 60 mph. In a group maintaining that kind of average would be difficult.

Shorten the route or ride alone would be a better option. I always prefer riding alone on certified rides.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Any ride anywhere trying to get that kind of mileage in less than 24hrs shows a disregard for personal safety IMHO.
Use to do about 1200 from my home to my place in Florida, in the cage, driving straight through. Wife and I switched off driving.That was still a dangerous thing to do. Driving all night-when that's the time you body is used to being asleep.
Everybody is different....if you think it is dangerous for you I would suggest you not do it but just because you would have trouble doesn't mean everyone would.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Everybody is different....if you think it is dangerous for you I would suggest you not do it but just because you would have trouble doesn't mean everyone would.
Pretty much, everybody would. Even being in top shape, one would have difficulty maintaining the needed alertness for safe riding over that great a distance in less than 24hrs.
Yes, many have done it and many will continue to do it but, that does not make it a safe thing to do.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really don't get it by the group doing 300 miles more than needed. If they hit that 1000 mark, that last 4-5 hours more will hurt!!!! Dont forget, they want to take a "dip" in the gulf too

I'm going to do a solo run to Amarillo and back. Nothing in my way but feed lots!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Pretty much, everybody would. Even being in top shape, one would have difficulty maintaining the needed alertness for safe riding over that great a distance in less than 24hrs.
Yes, many have done it and many will continue to do it but, that does not make it a safe thing to do.
Frankly you don't know what you are talking about.

What's this with condemning something you can't do, just because you can't do it it does not follow therefore no one can do it. The OP asked a question....can it be done...the answer is yes but it would be difficult because of the time required for herding a group of riders over long distances. He didn't ask if it were safe or prudent, that is a question you have no standing to answer nor do I, only each rider can answer that question for themselves.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Phil, the very first SS1000 I did was from Oklahoma City, where I live, to Galveston and back. Total mileage was 1033, and it took me 17 1/2 hours.

I rode it solo, on a Saturday, and I don't remember having any major traffic concerns.

I had lunch in Galveston, but did not take a 'dip'.
And overall, it was a great ride.

If the group plans to pass through OKC on their way South, send me some details and I'll join them.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Frankly you don't know what you are talking about.

What's this with condemning something you can't do, just because you can't do it it does not follow therefore no one can do it. The OP asked a question....can it be done...the answer is yes but it would be difficult because of the time required for herding a group of riders over long distances. He didn't ask if it were safe or prudent, that is a question you have no standing to answer nor do I, only each rider can answer that question for themselves.

:agree::agree: Well said.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I really don't get it by the group doing 300 miles more than needed. If they hit that 1000 mark, that last 4-5 hours more will hurt!!!! Dont forget, they want to take a "dip" in the gulf too

I'm going to do a solo run to Amarillo and back. Nothing in my way but feed lots!
I agree, the mileage goal is strange, just a few more and they would have a BBG, a few less and they would have an easy ride. 1300 is a tweener, neither fish nor fowl and it also makes me question if they understand certified rides. Of course the mileage may be picked because a BBG is not allowed for first time riders and the SS1000 is not that much of a challenge for experienced LD riders.

BTW, a solo run over a safe route is the way to go for your first certified IBA ride. It gives you time to work the kinks out, to decide if you even like this LD riding thing, it makes for a fun low pressure ride of discovery if you do enjoy it, and even more important it allows you to stop with out pressure if you do not want to continue for any reason.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
First of all, you'll have to document every turn with time-stamped gas receipts. That'll slow ya down. It'd be different if it were a straight shot.

Also, what's to keep you from stopping once you've covered over 1000 miles (use map calculations, not your odometer)? Just get a time-stamped receipt at the end of the ride.

I just did a SaddleSore 1000. It took me 19 hours. Let me tell you: you will be tired. So, to go another 300 miles, you'd have to really push it AND it would mean 24 hours of riding. You don't wanna do that.

BTW - I won't do another IronButt ride... it's too boring. Interstate riding and nuthin' to see. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt... err... pin, certificate, and license plate holder.

·
Administrator
3,844 Posts
I'd pass on this ride if your goal is to do a certified SS1000. I really have my doubts that they can get a group of riders through that route and back within the time limits. A fuel stop with one or two riders may be easily accomplished in 10 minutes or less. When you get a group at a fuel stop it will be 20 to 25 minutes minimum before kickstands up. The "dip in the Gulf" is just wasted time. The ferry ride both ways could easily kill another 2 hours. I wouldn't do this ride unless I just wanted the experience.

If you want to do your first SS1000 just to get it out of the way, pick a nice out-and-back route over an interstate or other high-speed, uncongested road. Stay away from major cities, and try to stay off rural roads even though they may be more scenic.

I don't feel that riding 1000 or more miles per day is unsafe at all FOR ME! For you, it may be different. If you do feel fatigued or sleepy pull over and rest. If you plan it right there is plenty of time to do a SS1000 and get lots of rest stops. It's really pretty easy, but is a requirement to be able to do the longer, more challenging rides.

Good luck, and enjoy yourself.
Glen

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Last month when I did the BBG3000 I was well past the 1000 mile mark after 14hrs. 1300 in 24 is not all that difficult but as mentioned to be official you need to document the routt which looks no problem on this ride. It will be tough though with a group of riders as your pace will be determined by the slowest of the group, and if more than 2 in a group there will be a slower rider. ;)

·
Registered
906 Posts
The SS1000 was EASY....

Not tiring and certainly not dangerous...

16 hours - 1030 Miles - Left early and arrived in time for supper...

This ride as outlined would be much more difficult...A group is musch slower than an individual, and going through large cities present a traffic nightmare potential. 1300 miles is a useless distance as well...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I agree, the mileage goal is strange, just a few more and they would have a BBG, a few less and they would have an easy ride. 1300 is a tweener, neither fish nor fowl and it also makes me question if they understand certified rides. Of course the mileage may be picked because a BBG is not allowed for first time riders and the SS1000 is not that much of a challenge for experienced LD riders.

BTW, a solo run over a safe route is the way to go for your first certified IBA ride. It gives you time to work the kinks out, to decide if you even like this LD riding thing, it makes for a fun low pressure ride of discovery if you do enjoy it, and even more important it allows you to stop with out pressure if you do not want to continue for any reason.

I agree with everything you said except I would (and have) do the ride with 1 or 2 other persons that you know well and ridden with before to make sure all are compatible.

I found that talking on the CB helped make the miles go easier and made the trip more enjoyable.

Again, know and be very comfortable with who you are riding with - that's the key.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Since you asked................avoid IH 45 from Houston to Galveston. Most anytime this road is very congested and much worst on the weekends.
I would just watch them (leave & return) if they are determined to travel this route in Texas.
Seems much better to head west and avoid the urban areas if you want to accomplish this easily within 24 hours.
It seems to me that a successful 1000 miles could be accomplished much more easily if you avoid big urban areas. :popcorn:

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I wouldn't do an IBA ride with anyone else. When I did mine, my route was St. Louis to OK City to West Memphis, AR then back to St. Louis. I was certified 1,283 miles in 21.5 hours, including two naps along the way because I only had 4 hours sleep before I started. I figure my actual average travel speed was around 68mph. I forgot my map at home and didn't have a gps, but I'd gone over the route so much I had it memorized.

Btw, the IBA sponsors quite a few local SS1Ks with the start, route, end locations and all the signatures. There will be a group of people leaving about the same time, but it's not a group ride.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts